PDA

View Full Version : what are the limitations with winches and water ?

dads tractor
9th May 2015, 10:21 AM
Guys can you run a Runva xp 11000 with every thing submerged ie winch and control box and just use the remote .Prepping for Cape trip next year so working out recovery gear to take .

lucus30
9th May 2015, 10:23 AM
I've never needed to myself but have read that plenty have done it

dads tractor
9th May 2015, 10:30 AM
Thinking Nolans if first across that's all Lucus

lucus30
9th May 2015, 10:34 AM
Thinking Nolans if first across that's all Lucus
Hey mate. For Nolan's apparently the best place to be is first. Once its all been stirred up is when people get stuck. Again not talking from experience its just what I've read

I'm sure others will comment with more experience

Rock Trol
9th May 2015, 02:50 PM
I heard its the 3rd car in line that usually gets into trouble but I don't have any direct experience. I think its good advice to let things settle rather than rushing into it straight after the car in front.

threedogs
9th May 2015, 03:00 PM
Would depend what time of year you go,
we went early September and had no problems
at all. Ever drove across the Jardine

Hodge
9th May 2015, 03:38 PM
I've read somewhere in general winches can run fine under water for a certain time... It's when it gets out of water, that it's important for it to have drain holes to let any water that's got in, OUT.
And then there is the fully sealed (supposedly) winch units.

BigRAWesty
9th May 2015, 09:47 PM
Personally if planning on sinking it, remote mount the solenoid under the bonnet.
Easy to do. One less thing to worry about then

Bloodyaussie
9th May 2015, 09:54 PM
Is it a solid state solenoid.. if so it need not matter.. but the wireless remote unit may be a different situation depending how well the unit is sealed.. maybe move that under the bonnet?

threedogs
10th May 2015, 10:26 AM
You can pressurize the winch with a few pounds of air to stop water getting in, easy enough to do
using an air horn pump, needs very little psi to work.
Some even do this mod on a petrol dizzy for river crossings

dads tractor
11th May 2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys for your comments and 3dogs my brother worked for AAT and used a system similar to the Unimogs running 1.5 psi to diffs, gear boxes so as too push the seals down onto the shafts axles .