PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 to TD42 How much work will it be?

chewindust
27th April 2015, 10:30 AM
Hi guys. I have a Zd30 2003 patrol and had issues for a while now. I had an engine light come on and was told after a computer diagnostic that it was the injector pump. I was also told that a reco pump would cost about 2500. I then went to a diesel mechanic and got them to check it but he said he wasn't getting a reading. He told me that he found a problem with the crank sensor after fixing one particular injector pump. So I replaced that in the hopes that it wasn't the injector pump. After checking things out and experimenting and searching I have come to the conclusion that it is the pump. In the mean time I have also started to have a slipping clutch. So I have pulled the motor out and now I need to figure out whether to replace clutch and pump and put it back in or replace it with a bigger motor, a 4.2. If I replace it is there a lot of extra work and cost involved with wiring and hoses? Will it bolt straight into the gearbox? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4bye4
27th April 2015, 11:08 AM
IMHO the reason for going to a 4.2 would be because you want to, not because of a failed injector pump in the 3.0.
Yes it would be a fair bit of work. If the 3.0 is OK in other respects, now that it is out I would be checking it over, Putting NADS on, new clutch and injector pump and put it back in. Certainly a lot less expensive than putting a 4.2 in.
If however you want to start a build, go for it. If your going to do that, do it properly though. I wouldn't be trying to connect into existing hoses and wires, I would be cleaning out the engine bay, checking suspension etc while it was apart, then put in my new motor and wire it up and run hoses etc as required. The risk you take in connecting to the old wiring without checking thoroughly is that if you have a bad wire or connection, you may have heaps of weird faults and codes after the rebuild.

Hodge
27th April 2015, 11:30 AM
I think you need a bell-housing adapter to adapt to your current gearbox, providing it is a manual. If it is an auto, I'm not sure if it's possible?
I think one of the engine mounts needs to be re-positioned, or re-welded.
I'm in the same boat as my pump is stuffed amongst other problems with this lemon, and costs to fix it all, are cheaper then a whole 4.2 transplant, but makes one think why throw more $$$ at the grenade when it's only gonna stuff up again in the future. If you're doing the work your self it is considerably cheaper.

mudski
27th April 2015, 11:43 AM
From my own findings you will need to replace...

radiator and hoses including heater hoses.
radiator surge tank
engine fan and fan clutch
Alternator and mounts
power steering and mounts
A/c pump and mounts
wiring loom
the welded engine mount plates on the chassis need to be moved
Exhaust system, mainly from the dump pipe to the second section under the car if you can get away with it.
Clutch and flywheel and thrust bearing and carrier
Clutch slave cylinder , maybe, there is two different types here....
Accelerator pedal needs to be changed from fly by wire to cable setup.

There will be more I think. Cost wise would be towards the 10K mark, cost of the engine is largely dependent here, plus if you get someone to do it for you. The costs would be higher again no doubt.

threedogs
27th April 2015, 12:23 PM
I would fix the ZD30, great motor when sorted.
What area are you in if Vic there are quite a few places that do this on a dily basis.
then you have a 4x4 that drinks more, amongst other things.
Nothing wrong with the 4.2 diesel but chances are you're replacing the ZD30 with a high mileage
no history motor, just saying

Hodge
27th April 2015, 01:25 PM
I got quoted over the phone 18k, drive in drive out with a 4.2T they have at the time with 1 year warranty on labour and all parts involved including the motor. You're looking around 24k with a fully re-built 4.2T drive in drive out. Not cheap.
I was very very close to going ahead. But then the finance minister pulled up the handbrake and thinking about it now, i could have got rid of my grenaded car and with the 4.2 transplant cost on top, could bought a factory late 4.2T.

chewindust
27th April 2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your ideas and help. After making a few phone calls around town, (I'm in Townsville). In the long run it seems that my best option is repair of the pump, the clutch and I also am going to get the intercooler checked as well. A friend of mine has had the same problem as me and discovered that there was a problem with the fuel pump relay. So that will also be something I will be checking. What is the rough price of a new injection pump compared to a refurbished one? Does anyone know?