PDA

View Full Version : Justin's V8t GU Troll

Justin
21st March 2011, 10:33 PM
Hi Guy's and Gall's,

Well this is my much loved '99 DX Patrol with a few modifications. I have had her, well what used to be a her, now a him, for about 6 - 7 years now, and he has certainly taken me some places. He has now done a grand total of 340,000km's and he had a transplant in November 2009 and has settled down just nicely with just the right amount of testosterone to keep me happy and the 'trouble and strife' smiling without out it hurting too much, to be honest I think she enjoys driving him more than me.

Without going into too much detail The 6.5l Chev was installed with a little bit of help from a friend of mine down at BWK Diesels, actually he did all of it while I drank a few cold ones. The engine was sent away to be blue printed and balanced as I wanted something that was as smooth and quite as I could get, on with the turbo, and a cab lift to fit it in, and a change of diffs and we were running, I did keep the gearbox if anyone is interested (I didn't realize how tough they really were until now) and everything else is new! No room under the hood for the second battery, thanks to my vacuum brakes, so a bit more creativity and a set of drawers in the back and job done, so I thought.....

Day 1 saw me down to the local Tyre shop for some new shoes, even after loosing 1'st gear from stand still (I still can't find it) I couldn't keep him going in a straight line, although I suspect it had something to do with the 'little boy' in me, and yes 17 months later I still can't help myself.

I must say he really enjoys towing my boat, for that I am eternally greatfull, another trip north working the gears for 1600km's would have... I'll just leave it at that. Now cruise control set at 110 and back to 4'th once and while to overtake some road trains and Justin is much happier person to go on holidays with :smile:

He did come with the ST flares and quite a few other bit's and pieces but I feel he does deserve a fresh lick of paint, with the assistance of a spray painter I know, and new set of Ti or ST-L flares and a bit more colour coding, and he will spruce up just nicely.

Well I hope I haven't bored you all too much, and hope to even catch up with a few of you on the tracks at some point. I am planning a QLD to WA top end long service leave tour next year but I will save that for another thread!

Vrooooom

timbar
21st March 2011, 10:36 PM
nice what more can i say !!!

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 10:39 PM
nice engine bay mate

katwoman
21st March 2011, 10:41 PM
The best of both worlds!! If it wasnt white, I'd steal it. Was encouraged to buy the Katrol so it would slow me down. Sadly, it has. Ur beast would be great !!

Maxhead
21st March 2011, 10:56 PM
What a beast, and a top writeup mate

nowoolies
21st March 2011, 11:33 PM
g`day Justin
top looking rig mate
welcome heaps of laughs and bucket loads of infor here enjoy
Paul

Finly Owner
22nd March 2011, 02:14 AM
Where do you turn the spanners? Nice tight fit by looks.

Tim

Justin
22nd March 2011, 02:40 AM
Hi Tim, it actually looks much worse than it is. There is more room under the hood and
easier to get to everything than the original 4.2

Bob
22nd March 2011, 07:41 AM
Nice Rig. What is the Fuel consumption like.

growler2058
22nd March 2011, 07:47 AM
Coool!! I wanna V8

YNOT
22nd March 2011, 08:22 AM
Very nice Justin.
I was down at Sea World yesterday when a V8 turbo diesel 60 series cruiser pulled up. I'm not one for Toyotas but the burble from the exhaust of that one was just music, and that was just at idle.

Tony

Justin
22nd March 2011, 09:42 AM
Hi Bob, around the 6.5km \ litre around town so she is down a bit from the 4.2 BUT more power more fuel simple equation. It does however use less than the 4.2 on the tow. Did I mention more power?

AB
22nd March 2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Bob, around the 6.5km \ litre around town so she is down a bit from the 4.2 BUT more power more fuel simple equation. It does however use less than the 4.2 on the tow. Did I mention more power?

Very nice mate, what a beast!!!

DX grunt
22nd March 2011, 10:24 AM
Nice one Justin. Hope to meet you and your truck one day.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

jaxt
22nd March 2011, 11:09 AM
nice mate.
and white's good for me.
what a beast!

rkinsey
22nd March 2011, 11:18 AM
I think the "little boy" in all of us is just a bit envious.... very nice for on and off roading. I bet the young hoons in their VL commodores get a fright!!??

Nice one Justin.

daccers
22nd March 2011, 01:43 PM
very impressive! good work!!

Bob
22nd March 2011, 01:47 PM

Yeah I think I would sacrifice Fuel Consumption for that Power

Dark 1
22nd March 2011, 07:05 PM
Great ride mate, love the chev ........want one.......need one........PLEASE.
Sorry mate strayed off there a bit, anywho keep the piccies coming.

racey000
27th April 2011, 09:47 PM
How is that legal lol, love it!

Chev oiler
29th April 2011, 02:20 PM
Hey Justin,
Good to see more chev's gettin around, The turbo would make a bit of a difference ( You can NEVER have enough power ), I've looked into wackin a turbo on mine, but have had two fairly major problems,
1, Convincing The Minister of war and finance that I actually need it !
2, I Like the idea of the Bullet Supercharger, under bonet fitup and Aux batt stays put, less engine bay temps, power increase from Idle and not such a drama with exhaust. And all for about 3 hours fitup work.
My fuel economy is much the same as yours, which is a fair bit better than my brothers Boosted 4.2 Troll, and as you say the 4.2 gets even worse with a load.

Keep up the good work. Would love to see it in action one day.

Andrey
29th April 2011, 03:06 PM
That is one WICKED trol!!!!!