PDA

View Full Version : Perplexed

XLR8
21st March 2011, 09:29 PM
I pulled the axles axles out today after suspecting a busted CV (severe clunking/knocking noise on L/H turns only) after the run on the weekend but both seem to be fine. No binding, no visible cracks etc. Pulled the centre out to check the lokka to make sure it hadn't dropped a spring or pin and that too was OK. Reinspected the auto locking hubs and no signs of damage to splines. There was metal filings on the diff plug magnet but I can't see any evidence of unnatural wear.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look next?

Silver
21st March 2011, 10:19 PM
I see you have auto hubs and I don't know how they work - can the be unlocked and made to stay that way?

If so, noise with front hubs locked, unlocked, or both?

XLR8
21st March 2011, 10:38 PM
When 4WD is disengaged the hubs are supposed to release automtically, however, sometimes you need to reverse up a few metres to make sure. I did all that so am assuming they were disengaged when the noise started, although I can't be certain, but there seems to be no eveidence of the hub being partially engaged for an extended period.

I do know that if the hubs are engaged on the road the Lokka will make a hell of a racket as it unlocks to release the pressure from axle wind-up, but this was different and steering wasn't impaired in any way as it would be if the hubs were still locked with the lokka in

Silver
22nd March 2011, 09:19 AM
a bit beyond me - unless it is the RH CV joint not liking turning left, since you have already rechecked the left - lockers and auto hubs are outside my experience :-)

the evil twin
22nd March 2011, 01:52 PM
Hmmm... curious.

IF... the hubs are unlocking it can't be the CV's, Lokka or Diff as they are all stationary. That pretty much leaves wheel bearings or sumthin' that is loading up on LH turns

Is it kicking back thru the steering, transfer case or both?

Perhaps one hub is staying locked/partially locked and the noise is the Lokka driving the other Auto Hub?... IE if the axle is turning then the Auto Hub will try and lock as it won't know the difference from 2 to 4WD as it will simply see the axle rotating so will try and "auto lock".

The filings on the diff plug might be a red herring... was there a significant amount and fresh?

daniel_whichelo
20th July 2011, 12:38 AM
I pulled the axles axles out today after suspecting a busted CV (severe clunking/knocking noise on L/H turns only) after the run on the weekend but both seem to be fine. No binding, no visible cracks etc. Pulled the centre out to check the lokka to make sure it hadn't dropped a spring or pin and that too was OK. Reinspected the auto locking hubs and no signs of damage to splines. There was metal filings on the diff plug magnet but I can't see any evidence of unnatural wear.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look next?

I HAD THE SAME THING GOING ON IT TURN OUT THAT I GOT HUNG UP ON THE MUFFLER AND BROKE THE HANGER OFF WHEN I WENT ROUND LEFT HANDERS IT WAS SWINGING IN TO THE DRIVE SHAFT UNI