PDA

View Full Version : Reversing Camera Installation 2008 GU Patrol

willkenobi
19th April 2015, 07:40 PM
Finally finished setting up my reversing camera for the VMS X506 in dash unit in my 2008 GU Troll. I used I CMD17N from Parkmate and it tucked away nicely underneath the Patrol badge in the left barn door with a 19mm hole saw.

There is an error on the Haynes manual for Patrols up to year 2011. According to the service manual you can remove the GU Patrol Badge without removing the rear panel from the left barn door, this is not correct; at least not for my model. I had to remove the whole panel as shown on the pictures.

Cheers guys!

Rock Trol
19th April 2015, 08:18 PM
Well done mate. Nice and neat, can hardly tell its there.

willkenobi
20th April 2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks Rock Troll, now I don't have an excuse to use noise of my rear bar bumping into something as my rear sensor.:oops:

threedogs
20th April 2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks Rock Troll, now I don't have an excuse to use noise of my rear bar bumping into something as my rear sensor.:oops:

I like it but please remove and solder that scotch lok it will fail.
Might be ok if there is nothing else, but it will fail, as its the weak point in the line
Great spot for the camera near on invisable ,can you site the towbar easy enough??

willkenobi
20th April 2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks ThreeDogs, you're right I'll solder it next weekend. Can easily spot the towbar, no probs; will post some pics tonight of rear visibility.

Pic with rear camera display, you can spot the recovery hitch at the bottom right corner. A tow ball will protrude even more.

hoppingmad
21st April 2015, 08:37 AM
i have an aftermarket rear bar on mine and stuck the camera to that.....the image is ok to look at but seeing what the higher angle looks like i might relocate mine now. yours is a lot clearer too. i had the option of wireless or hardwired...i went wireless and its grainy as.

good neat work and thanks for uploading.

threedogs
21st April 2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks ThreeDogs, you're right I'll solder it next weekend. Can easily spot the towbar, no probs; will post some pics tonight of rear visibility.

Pic with rear camera display, you can spot the recovery hitch at the bottom right corner. A tow ball will protrude even more.

Thanks for sharing, I take that first line is either 1mtr or 1 ft.
I have heaps of cameras even the rear veiw mirror one but found that too heavy for
corrigated roads and was forever adjusting it. I just put in a new head unit and it came
with a color infra red camera, Ill see how I go ,lol

Jack989
2nd July 2015, 11:37 AM
Well done mate. Nice

I have opted for a separate dash mounted screen and a 2 camera setup
I have used ppa car audio’s product who came out on site and installed it.
The screen shows the tow ball with one camera and the other one show what’s behind my caravan
I am very happy with their service
http://www.ppacaraudio.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=108

Robo
2nd July 2015, 02:00 PM
Just did something very similar except I
placed camera a little further left and the spare tyre's not in the way.
and ran a power wire via switch for the camera and now i can have it going all the time if wanted instead of only when in reverse.
actually i have 2 cameras 1 directly above tow ball in the step, and other as described,
both on the rocker switch so i can simply switch between them.
but the 1 on door I was thinking of mounting on roof rack instead to see over trailer when needed.
but that's a low priority atm.

willkenobi
20th July 2015, 10:39 AM
Wanted to run the power wire via a switch to have it on when I wanted as well to but I got lazy. :D

blocko05
2nd August 2015, 12:08 AM
top job mate. Thanks for sharing. I will be setting up something similar to Robo so I can reverse up to the caravan hitch easier. like the idea of placing a power switch for more control.

Bailey876
22nd August 2015, 09:43 PM
Nice mate ......
Reversing camera is best.i also installed the reversing camera from a local company in Melbourne called PPA car audio,I am very happy with their service and result.

Here is a link to their web site
http://www.ppacaraudio.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=108

willkenobi
25th August 2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the link Bailey.

Cheers!
:smiley_thumbs_up:

Bigcol
25th August 2015, 08:00 PM
I went all flash years ago and got the Polaris system

http://www.mypolaris.com.au/

not cheap, but works a treat

I have 1 camera mounted just above the number plate
and 1 camera on the back of my Van

awesome fun

willkenobi
30th August 2015, 07:23 PM
Post some pics of your set up when you get a chance Bigcol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigcol
30th August 2015, 07:44 PM
not much to see really,
I have since changed the camera, but not location on the rear above the number plate
to this style
I currently have this style of monitor
but will be changed to an in dash one soon-ish

to go from the car to the Van I have the Wazza Kit

the back of my patrol - I have (left to right) Wazza connection, 12 pin plug for Van, Anderson plug, 7 pin plug for other trailers etc and Gas fitting - to fill.........

the back of the Van has this camera
I had only just moved the Camera & number plate to that location

my dash, but you can see the monitor in the bottom right - mounted to the console

I like the Polaris, as I can have it on while driving to see whats behind me (sometimes Im interested) - same with when the Van is hooked up, I have it on to check how many people I am apparently holding up when driving up hills

Dave Day
7th September 2015, 09:57 AM
Hi Willkenobi
I'm looking at getting the vms indash system for my 14 Patrol. How would you rate it with off road mapping and general use like hands free and phone connection, and is the camera a good option to purchase with it.
Cheers Dave

Pablo-GU
17th November 2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics, great neat install! Will prob do exactly the same. Where did you get your camera? Can you post a link, did you get a good price? I've got a pioneer screen to put in, but damaged the camera when I took it out of my D22.

LaughingBeagles
17th November 2015, 04:33 PM
Mate,

Looks great!

How did you compensate for the camera not being located centrally and dot you have a link to the camera itself? I was a bit underwhelmed with the one I have installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PullsyJr
20th November 2015, 01:23 PM
This is great. I'll be trying to emulate your work in a few weeks.

willkenobi
3rd January 2016, 01:38 PM
Hi Dave Day,

Sorry for the late reply, been caught up with work the last few months. Now back to your query; off road mapping has been great! if you are not happy with the VMS 4x4 software you can install the OziExplorer. Hands free and phone has worked fine with my Iphone 5s. With regards the camera option, I wouldn't bother; their unit comes with two screws and I hate drilling holes on my truck. The camera I bought allows for a flush installation and no screws.

Again, apologies for the late response!!

Willkenobi

willkenobi
3rd January 2016, 01:43 PM
Hi Pablo GU,

Again I'm sorry for replying with such a delay to your queries, the link to the camera I bought as requested:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/vehicle-cameras/parkmate/parkmate-cmd17n-digital-hd-reverse-camera/330096/

Regards,

Willkenobi

willkenobi
3rd January 2016, 01:44 PM
Hi Dave Day,

Sorry for the late reply, been caught up with work the last few months. Now back to your query; off road mapping has been great! if you are not happy with the VMS 4x4 software you can install the OziExplorer. Hands free and phone has worked fine with my Iphone 5s. With regards the camera option, I wouldn't bother; their unit comes with two screws and I hate drilling holes on my truck. The camera I bought allows for a flush installation and no screws.

Again, apologies for the late response!!

Willkenobi

willkenobi
3rd January 2016, 01:45 PM
Hi Pablo GU,

Again I'm sorry for replying with such a delay to your queries, the link to the camera I bought as requested:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...camera/330096/

Regards,

Willkenobi

threedogs
3rd January 2016, 01:49 PM
good job can you answer this for me all I want is a camera to come on via a switch.
I will run a wire from the rear camera to switch/12v and the Yellow rca goes to head unit.
Now by flicking the switch will the screen appear on the double din unit????

willkenobi
3rd January 2016, 01:49 PM
Sorry for the late reply mate (LaughingBeagles),

Camera was not located centrally but it was close enough, I just got used to it after a few reversing maneuvers.

Willkenobi

willkenobi
3rd January 2016, 02:02 PM
Hi Threedogs,

That is correct, the image should appear in the Double Din unit once you flick the switch. You could also parallel the reversing light signal with 12V switch output and have the image appear when reversing or when you flick the switch.

Regards,

Willkenobi

threedogs
3rd January 2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks I think Id prefer to just switch it on [hot].
I also want to put another camera to watch the winch rope spool on.
that I have a video switcher for, thanks for that,
I dont use the camera at all lately,
pretty confident where the back of the Patrol is, lol
will 4mm cable be plenty 6mm seems a bit big

willkenobi
4th January 2016, 12:08 PM
Hi ThreeDogs,

4mm will be more than enough mate, the wire gauge supplied with reversing cameras is even smaller.

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

micknor51
4th December 2020, 08:38 AM
Thanks willkenobi for a very useful post. The photos of the rear door were especially useful.
I have finally got around to installing a reversing camera with the help of your info.82566
My effort is attached.
Cheers Michael