PDA

View Full Version : DIY Snorkels

AB
21st March 2011, 04:06 PM
Have rung around a few places for snorkels today and they are quite expensive.

Around $600-$650 for Safaris fitted....for that price I would rather get a Millweld.

Thinking of just DIY my own snorkel with 4" stainless steel tubing and rubber elbows.

Has anyone done this and can give some pointers, prices, where to buy materials, what I need, how to fit, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 04:27 PM

Around $600-$650 for Safaris fitted....for that price I would rather get a Millweld.

Thinking of just DIY my own snorkel with 4" stainless steel tubing and rubber elbows.

Has anyone done this and can give some pointers, prices, where to buy materials, what I need, how to fit, etc.

I got one from Clark rubber on the weekend for about $7 ... who did you ring??

Ohhhhhhhh ... that type of snorkel ... in that case, no, I can't help!! LMFAO

AB
21st March 2011, 04:39 PM
I got one from Clark rubber on the weekend for about $7 ... who did you ring??

Ohhhhhhhh ... that type of snorkel ... in that case, no, I can't help!! LMFAO

lol....You clown!!!

Ive still got the second air filter at the front quater panel too, I'm assuming that this would need to be removed and connect straight into the main one as the air/fuel mixtures might be stuffed up now with the 2 x air filters plus the snorkel?

Is anyone actually running a snorkel with 2 airfilters?

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 05:10 PM
redman had a snorkel fitted just under a fortnight ago, he's running a TD42 and had 2 filters and they removed the front one to fit the snorkel

AB
21st March 2011, 05:15 PM
redman had a snorkel fitted just under a fortnight ago, he's running a TD42 and had 2 filters and they removed the front one to fit the snorkel

Cheers big ears, thought that would be the case...

molongmick
21st March 2011, 05:37 PM

Have you tried Ironman?
Found this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4x4-Air-Snorkle-/180570049402?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0ad04b7a)on ebay

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 05:49 PM

Yep - mines an ironman and I think about $485 installed?? But if I did it all over again, for the extra doe, I'd go a millweld

big_fletch
21st March 2011, 07:22 PM
Def go a milled one or make one out of stainless, I wish I had.. they look tough as!!!

Maxhead
21st March 2011, 07:33 PM

ARB fitted my Safari for $460 or $480
$360 snorkel + $100 or $120 labour. Thought that was reasonable.

Just pop down to Canberra and we'll sort one out and catch up for a coldie...lolol

AB
21st March 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the link and prices guys...

I'm going to DIY it I think.

The 2nd air filter already has a hole and seal for the inner guard so just need to cut the outside hole....lol

I'll just mask it up like a mad man incase of slippage but with the pre drill on the hole saw it should be ok...

I'll do a DIY thread here if I get around to doing it.

DX grunt
21st March 2011, 07:46 PM

> Go to local sports store
> Purchase a set of goggles, snorkle and flippers
> Read instructions carefully
> Assemble and put on as instructed
> Drive truck into favourite mud hole
> Remember to wind down driver's window, put head out window and let snorkle do its thing
> If snorkle doesn't work, reverse out of mud hole,
> If you're stuck, ask for GUtey assistance (mobile phone must be waterproof)
> Once clear of site, go back to sports store and ask for money back

Snorkle will be cheaper when on special. GU driver will request a carton - not on special ! HAHAHAHAHA

big_fletch
21st March 2011, 07:50 PM
> Remember to wind down driver's window, put head out window and let snorkle do its thing

Snorkle will be cheaper when on special. GU driver will request a carton - not on special ! HAHAHAHAHA

Hahahaha good one Ross lol

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 08:04 PM

Cracker!! LOL

GUte
21st March 2011, 08:34 PM
haha, ready and waiting!!

I thought about going stainless but knowing me it would be scratched to buggery in no time and would require buffing every 4 months!

AB
22nd March 2011, 03:47 PM
Here is a diagram of a Safari snorkel on a GQ.

If anyone here has a GQ with a snorkel can they please confirm that the square connection straight off the air filter as below is quite wobbley and only just held in by the one screw as per mine and the below diagram.

Seems a little dodgy to me?

I understand that there is flange type seal on the male side that the female slides over it but I would think for sure water can get in there???

Has anyone fixed there's up better to stop water or am I just stressing out and it's all hunky dory???
http://www.oppositelock.com.au/prodcatalogue/product/1481/1481_1.gif

AB
22nd March 2011, 03:50 PM
Also, been hunting for 4" stainless steel tubing today.

The best price so far is $46 per LM which is not bad compared to some places said $346 per LM...LMAO

Problem being that I can only get it in a 6m length and they don't cut down.

IF anyone in Victoria is planning on doing this then PM me...If we had another 2 people doing this then we could save a fair bit of money.

I will simply buy it and cut in 3 x 2m lengths in the carpark...lol

Still hunting for someone who can sell it in 2m lengths but the price will be higher.

Need 2m per vehicle (6m lengths = 3 vehicles total = $276 all up for 3 vehicles Stainless steel tubing).

Bigrig
22nd March 2011, 03:58 PM
Here is a diagram of a Safari snorkel.

If anyone here has a GQ with a snorkel can they please confirm that the square connection straight off the air filter as below is quite wobbley and only just held in by the one screw as per mine and the below diagram.

I understand that there is flange type seal on the male side that the female slides over it but I would think for sure water can get in there???

Has anyone fixed there's up better to stop water or am I just stressing out and it's all hunky dory???
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Righto, here goes ... you'll have to remove the retention gasket as this isn't required and will only get in the way. Loosen off the top guide bolts and slip the cover off the induction manifold. Once done, only then can you remove the ducting hose from it's attachment and make room for the new inlet housing. Then fit the new air intake ballast on the end of the ...

Nahhhh ... you got me ... I haven't got a clue!!!! LOL

Sorry boss - bored ... lol

AB
22nd March 2011, 04:03 PM
Righto, here goes ... you'll have to remove the retention gasket as this isn't required and will only get in the way. Loosen off the top guide bolts and slip the cover off the induction manifold. Once done, only then can you remove the ducting hose from it's attachment and make room for the new inlet housing. Then fit the new air intake ballast on the end of the ...

Nahhhh ... you got me ... I haven't got a clue!!!! LOL

Sorry boss - bored ... lol

Your an idiot...lol....I was thinking right Scotty's done this before and knows exactly whats going on, then I started reading....Retention gasket?, guide bolts?, induction manifold....lol

Dhuck
22nd March 2011, 04:07 PM
Yeh reman's was loose aswell.

Bob
22nd March 2011, 04:12 PM
Here is a diagram of a Safari snorkel on a GQ.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Silicon around the Fitting would make it Watertight. Any way if you are that deep in Water the old GQ would be Waterlogged inside and would not be able to pull out of the River RAFLMAO

AB
22nd March 2011, 04:25 PM
I just found a ripper price for the 4" stainless steel tubing...$25.70 per LM.

I ordered a full 6m length so if anyone wants a 2m length to do their snorkel then let me know...$400 and It's yours...LOL....Nah $50 for a 2m length and you can have it!

Thats a very very very good price....For about $150 I should have this puppy up and running!!!

AB
22nd March 2011, 04:45 PM
Ok thats one snorkel steel tube gone...

1 more to go....C'mon peoples....lol

Bigrig
22nd March 2011, 04:53 PM
Your an idiot...lol....I was thinking right Scotty's done this before and knows exactly whats going on, then I started reading....Retention gasket?, guide bolts?, induction manifold....lol

Guilty as charged!!! LOL

AB
22nd March 2011, 09:12 PM
Has anyone got a 4 inch snorkel that runs into the standard air filter of a GQ?

I have spent a few hours looking at my GQ and searching the internet on how to connect up the 4" (101.6mm) round flexible wire wound pipe to the square 75mm x 75mm square standard air filter outlet...

I have checked out a mates one and they actually cut the air filter outlet back a bit and welded on a sleeve to fit the round pipe. But he is only running a 3".

4" is big, I have an idea to get some HDPE, route out a hole that is 76mm x 76mm to slide over the 75mm x 75mm outlet from the air filter and also brace that with angle and silcone.

Now, route out the outside circumference of the HDPE to the same size of the 4" inch flexi round pipe.

Then screw on some PVC flange to go over the routed out HDPE and hose clamp it shut to the round flexi pipe from the snorkel....That will not leak anything in my books!!!!

Has anyone got photos or ideas about connecting the 4" flexi wire wound pipe from the snorkel 90 degree angle inside the engine bay to the 75mm square outlet of the standard GQ air filter.

GUte
23rd March 2011, 12:46 AM
What is the diameter of the round section of that flexi pipe work already in your engine bay? (opposite to the square end if you know what I mean)
Surely you could get a 3 to 4" silicone intercooler hose reducer and a little bit of 3" stainless pipe to clamp them down onto??

GUte
23rd March 2011, 12:52 AM
Found a link that should help you with with everything else. Was hoping he would have the same air cleaner setup but he isnt :(
http://www.mudrhino.com.au/Docs/DIY3.pdf

Clunk
23rd March 2011, 12:54 AM
how about some drainpipe tubing, cheap to buy and cheap to rplace if it ever gets broken lol

nowoolies
23rd March 2011, 12:58 AM
how about some drainpipe tubing, cheap to buy and cheap to rplace if it ever gets broken lol

not strong enough mate soft as

Clunk
23rd March 2011, 01:06 AM
not strong enough mate soft as

I meant the plastic stuff, thats tough as

HippoNZ
23rd March 2011, 07:27 AM
Hi AB

I have a steel snorkel, not sure what the mill ones you guys are talking about but anyhow mine is one tough beast. I've added a pic but you can't see everything that great and will be more than happy to upload the setup later if you'd like. But in this pic on the left front side of the truck I got slammed into a tree, it dented the truck but the snorkel held up laughing. They seem real durable to me mate and a good path to go down.

My 2 cents lol, hope you get it worked out

Brett

AB
23rd March 2011, 08:42 AM
Cheers for the pic Brett and suggestions everyone.

The problem is that I'm running 4" and all the other bits are 3".

Yes mate, thats what I'm thinking I might have to do, leave the square connection and find a 3" to 4" reducer to put on and hose clamp it.

I just don't trust that poxy little 75mm x75mm square connection that is already on there. I'll fix that as well whilst I'm doing it.

Aquarian51
23rd March 2011, 11:18 AM
I made my own snorkel out of 90mm pvc storm water pipe. It cost me $27 for the pipe and fittings (2x 90 bends, 2 x 45 bends 1 x 22.5 bend and 1 x storm grate/grill). My GQ has the 2nd or pre-cleaner air filter in behind the left head light. The snorkel feeds into it and my mechanic mate suggested I leave the filter in, which I have. I'll chuck some photos up in a day or two.

I've had no problems with the pvc breaking, but even if it does it is cheap as cheaps to replace. The mounting brackets I made from flat aluminium bar which I bent in my vice. It is all painted matt black. You'll have to form your own opinion of how it looks when I post the pics, but I have had quite a few complimentary comments in car parks etc.

I pop-riveted and glued most joints, but used screws with star washers for the snorkel head as I have some fly screen wire in there as a fliter to stop bugs being rammed down to the precleaner filter. My local panelbeater let me borrow his 'nut serter tool' to insert 4 "captive" nuts into the guard. He didn't want anything for it and wouldn't take any money, but I dropped off a carton of crownies the next day.

So the total cost was about $75 with the crownies.

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 11:26 AM
I made my own snorkel out of 90mm pvc storm water pipe. It cost me $27 for the pipe and fittings (2x 90 bends, 2 x 45 bends 1 x 22.5 bend and 1 x storm grate/grill). My GQ has the 2nd or pre-cleaner air filter in behind the left head light. The snorkel feeds into it and my mechanic mate suggested I leave the filter in, which I have. I'll chuck some photos up in a day or two.

I've had no problems with the pvc breaking, but even if it does it is cheap as cheaps to replace. The mounting brackets I made from flat aluminium bar which I bent in my vice. It is all painted matt black. You'll have to form your own opinion of how it looks when I post the pics, but I have had quite a few complimentary comments in car parks etc.

I pop-riveted and glued most joints, but used screws with star washers for the snorkel head as I have some fly screen wire in there as a fliter to stop bugs being rammed down to the precleaner filter. My local panelbeater let me borrow his 'nut serter tool' to insert 4 "captive" nuts into the guard. He didn't want anything for it and wouldn't take any money, but I dropped off a carton of crownies the next day.

Seriously mate, if it works and is that easy and cheap to repair, who gives a rats if it's not as "clean" as retail units!!! Top job and look forward to the pics.

Clunk
23rd March 2011, 09:23 PM

yep thats the stuff I was on about, just couldn't think of what it was called at the time........ I put it down to tiredness but it was more likely down to stupidity hahahahahaha

Ghost
23rd March 2011, 10:25 PM
http://www.isx.com.au/brian/3.JPG

there ya go 4" snorkel on mine, goes through the guard to donaldson filter then thru piping to the supercharger, i removed the crappy pizzabox as i found it pretty useless.

Dhuck
23rd March 2011, 10:38 PM
shes a ripper. Nice easy build

Silver
24th March 2011, 12:22 AM
have a chat to your local performance exhaust crowd - they flared some pipe for me - but I don't know how far they can go with just that.

Regardless they'd have some sort of solution - perhaps including something that goes straight onto your air filter box thus avoiding that wobbly one screw joint!

Aquarian51
29th March 2011, 01:41 AM
Here are the photos of my DIY snorkel made from 90mm pvc storm water pipe. If anyone considering this as an option and has any questions, just ask.

Clunk
29th March 2011, 01:44 AM
Here are the photos of my DIY snorkel made from 90mm pvc storm water pipe. If anyone considering this as an option and has any questions, just ask.

that's come out very tidy, nice one mate

duane1234
18th April 2011, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the stainless pipe from on the mornington peninsula

AB
18th April 2011, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the stainless pipe from on the mornington peninsula

You would probably pay a lot more down at Mornington and Frankston area. Just jump on the Eastlink and get some in Dandenong.

Google some steel suppliers in Dandenong and get the best price...4" stainless - 1.6mm wall thickness.

Very industrial area in Dandenong and thats not far from you with the Eastlink.

Brian@89Mav
24th August 2014, 03:05 PM
I have a question for Aquarian51, how many meters of straight pipe do i need?? what fixing did you use for the screws in the panel?? and did you use any thing for around the cut in the panel? ie sickaflex, rubber beed? any thing like that?

NissanGQ4.2
24th August 2014, 03:18 PM
I have a question for Aquarian51, how many meters of straight pipe do i need?? what fixing did you use for the screws in the panel?? and did you use any thing for around the cut in the panel? ie sickaflex, rubber beed? any thing like that?

An intro would be nice before asking questions.

A link to the intro thread can be found in my signature

Brian@89Mav
24th August 2014, 10:32 PM
An intro would be nice before asking questions.

A link to the intro thread can be found in my signature

Hi all Brian@89Mav here or just Brian lol
I was a bit quick off the mark before and would like to send my apologies for not following the proper way of doing things here,
Iv always been like that so sorry about that.
I currently own an 89Mav 4.2 with Denco Turbo, 7" spring lift, 35"Mickey Thompson TTC Claws, 4x xenon HID spotties on a seperate roof rack, Roof top tent rack with Roo Systems tent and awning also with seperate side awning.
I have joined this site for help and advice and to hopefully give some aswell where i can.
thank you all and hope to here and speak to you in the near future