PDA

View Full Version : Please can you photo and measure your dipstick!

boggy2006
21st March 2011, 10:49 AM
A strange request I know, but I need to compare your length to mine! LOL. I'm talking about the automatic transmission dipstick of course. I have a theory about a noise from my auto here;

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3300-ongoing-stange-noise-with-my-GQ&p=54684#post54684

and want to check if my dipstick is original and the correct length. Please could you photo your dipstick so I can see if it's the same and/or take the measurement as in the picture attached (from the cap to the upper hot fill mark).

Many thanks

rkinsey
21st March 2011, 01:03 PM
Hery Boggy, I have just had a look a the service manual for the GQ and there is no mention of the max length that the dipstick should be in the schematics. Although if we ring the Nissan Service department they would be able to let us know. That would tell you if you have a dipstick that is within manufacturers specifications.

Cheers,

Rob

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 01:18 PM
Boggy, do a search as there is a thread on here with photos of dipsticks (no, not you dhuck!!! LMFAO) ... sorry, on tapatalk so can't locate and paste for you, but definitely in there somewhere.

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 01:33 PM
Boggy, do a search as there is a thread on here with photos of dipsticks (no, not you dhuck!!! LMFAO) ... sorry, on tapatalk so can't locate and paste for you, but definitely in there somewhere.

Good onya Scotty. I was gonna take a pic, but I am a tad flaccid atm, besides I don't think I really want to expose myself to you bunch of pervs.

Oh sorry I should read things a little better. This is about the auto trans dipstick.

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 01:34 PM
Good onya Scotty. I was gonna take a pic, but I am a tad flaccid atm, besides I don't think I really want to expose myself to you bunch of pervs.

Oh sorry I should read things a little better. This is about the auto trans dipstick.

Are you hijacking?? Naughty boy! LOL

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 01:42 PM
me never. I don't do those sorts of things.

Sorry Boggy

boggy2006
21st March 2011, 02:05 PM

hmm, lots of threads about dipsticks, but mainly referring to people! Will keep searching

boggy2006
21st March 2011, 02:06 PM
come on guys, don't be shy, get your tape measures out!!

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 02:53 PM
come on guys, don't be shy, get your tape measures out!!

Heres a question (I may have missed it) but what engine? If TB42e I'll go measure mine.

boggy2006
21st March 2011, 03:34 PM
thanks BR, yes it's a TB42e. Looking forward to comparing sizes!

Bob
21st March 2011, 03:44 PM

This is getting a little bit rude LOL. Scotty is a big man

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 03:45 PM

Size comparison imminent mate!! Give me ten.

boggy2006
21st March 2011, 03:49 PM
This is getting a little bit rude LOL. Scotty is a big man

what could possibly be rude about comparing sizes of dipsticks?!! Even the ladies can join in this one!

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 04:05 PM
Here you go fella ... 660mm in total ...

Photos aren't uploading for some reason (not too big, just taking forever) ...

If yours is too short, you could have nailed the problem ..

boggy2006
21st March 2011, 04:22 PM
yep, it's big alright! Many thanks for taking the time to check that.
Did you measure between the points I showed in the picture in the first post? Either way, I don't have 660mm between any 2 obvious points on my dipstick. Interestingly too, it says Dexron half way up the dip stick on one side, etched into the metal, does yours? As I though these things only use Nissan d-matic made from gold dust.
Will be interesting to see your photo!

AB
21st March 2011, 04:24 PM
Did you measure between the points I showed in the picture in the first post? Either way, I don't have 660mm between any 2 obvious points on my dipstick. Interestingly too, it says Dexron half way up the dip stick on one size, etched into the metal, does yours? As I though these things only use Nissan d-matic made from gold dust.

You need to swap with someone to check it out too...Throw the keys into a bowl and see what you pick out...lol

the ferret
21st March 2011, 04:33 PM
They say the length isn't important!! it's the thickness and the way you use it LOL.

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 04:47 PM
Well the dipstick they playin with is scratching tonsils.

Sorry for the hijacking just could not resist responding to that

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 04:48 PM
Did you measure between the points I showed in the picture in the first post? Either way, I don't have 660mm between any 2 obvious points on my dipstick. Interestingly too, it says Dexron half way up the dip stick on one side, etched into the metal, does yours? As I though these things only use Nissan d-matic made from gold dust.
Will be interesting to see your photo!

Tip to tip - the entire length with handle - oops

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 04:52 PM
I'll sort the picture, coz it's detailed enough to zoom in on and figure out the stick length - one moment please!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
21st March 2011, 05:14 PM
TB42E Auto Transmission Dipstick

From the cap to the upper hot fill mark. 634mm give or take a mm

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 05:20 PM
500mm from the top of the rubber stopper (where it sits on the tube) to the end of the dipstick itself.

NissanGQ4.2
21st March 2011, 05:23 PM
500mm from the top of the rubber stopper (where it sits on the tube) to the end of the dipstick itself.

you only get 500mm??? maybe i can't measure, or maybe mine is just bigger than yours *LMAO*

katwoman
21st March 2011, 05:30 PM
They say the length isn't important!! it's the thickness and the way you use it LOL.

Obviously a male made that up. !! pml

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 05:52 PM
you only get 500mm??? maybe i can't measure, or maybe mine is just bigger than yours *LMAO*

Gotta tell ya, not too concerned with anyones measurement now - 500mm will do me just fine thank you boss!!! LMFAO ....

boggy2006
21st March 2011, 06:14 PM
thank you for your measurements, you are stars! Good news for you is that you don't have to worry, your dipsticks are the same size as mine. Bad news for me though, as that's not the problem!!! :-(. Back to the drawing board unfortunately.

Although I've just deiven home, no noise, no problem gear shifts..with the oil below the min level on the stick ???!!!