PDA

View Full Version : SD33T Injection Pump

jalmassi
21st March 2011, 06:21 AM
Hei all,
Just wondering if someone has been here before. Running sweetly then in the morning no start. Some fuel at injectors but not much, don't think it's enough. Removed all fuel lines and pumping fuel with a strong electric pump from a bucket in the engine bay, lots of diesel getting to the IP and coming back in the return line. The control rack is moving with the off switch and the accelerator cable but still not much diesel at the injectors. Any ideas, all are appreciated.
Regards
Fergus

Simon
21st March 2011, 09:16 AM
possibly a maf sensor? not sure of your model... more info...

jalmassi
21st March 2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for reply.......lucky enough I don't have any electronics on this 30yo engine.......but still not enough diesel at the injectors

the ferret
21st March 2011, 07:42 PM
Have you tried bleeding the injectors, there is also a gauze filter on the outet line where it goes into the bottom of the priming pump.
Has the hand primer worked itself loose? Check primary filter, is the "run" , "stop'' lever on the injector pump being moved to the correct positions by the EDIC motor and /or the linkage?

jalmassi
21st March 2011, 09:46 PM
Yup, bled the injectors but bu$Łer all diesel coming out, bled the injection pump, stop lever working properly, have bypassed the mechanical fuelpump and on a EFI petrol pump, lots of diesel getting to the IP, no gauze filter on bottom of pump, new diesel filter, control rack moving with stop lever and accelerator. If I manually move the stop lever when cranking the engine I can hear the clicking when the fuel should be pumped by the IP. Most probably something very simple but what..!!!
Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated as I am at a loss here.

the ferret
21st March 2011, 10:16 PM
Ok, hook a 12v test light up to the glo-plug rail and see if you have power to them when ignition is turned on. Is the EDIC motor operating??

the ferret
21st March 2011, 10:30 PM
The filter on the fuel primer is inside the banjo fitting of the fuel line that is at the bottom of the primer, supply line to injector pump. two spanners!!

jalmassi
22nd March 2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all this, I don't have the small filter in the banjo fitting so no problem there, the glow plugs work well (brand new + 12v) and I don't have the EDIC motor just a simple vacuum switch for on and off.

Should have uploaded 2 files...hopefully

the ferret
22nd March 2011, 12:45 AM
Have you tried aerostart to see if it will fire up, ok so the glo plugs are new, but are they working, and are they working long enough? is your battery good, I mean does it realy whiz er over?
Check for a gauze filter where the fuel hose goes into the front of the injector pump, check throttle linkage at the top of the inlet manifold where the hose goes on. is the tank full ? (stupid question I know) What is the open vacuum hose in pic 1??

Finly Owner
22nd March 2011, 01:13 AM
I sthe electric shut off mechanism working? Do you know the one I'm talking about ? It looks like a wiper motor sat on the end od a gear drive with an arm and wires hanging out. It's on the block under the lift pump.

the ferret
22nd March 2011, 01:19 AM
I sthe electric shut off mechanism working? Do you know the one I'm talking about ? It looks like a wiper motor sat on the end od a gear drive with an arm and wires hanging out. It's on the block under the lift pump.

Nah, he's deleted the edic motor and has some sort of vacuum on/off gismo, I think the problem lies therein!!

Finly Owner
22nd March 2011, 02:12 AM
Nah, he's deleted the edic motor and has some sort of vacuum on/off gismo, I think the problem lies therein!!
I'd have to check I think there is a vacum thing on mine and still operates ( I now Know it's name) edic.

jalmassi
22nd March 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks Gents,
Glow plugs working well, no gauze filters, loads of fuel and the pic. shows the old cut off switch which has been disconnected but not removed. Two excellent batteries so she spins around like a banshee..!!

No electric shut off on my old girl, just the vacuum one, working well.

Very little diesel coming from the IP and certainly not enough to start her. The control rack is moving but something is preventing the diesel from being pumped and compressed by the IP....on all cylinders together.

On the attached pic. you can see my troubleshooting setup. Using an old EFI pump good for 30psi and loads of flow (check out the return line) so no shortage of fuel going in to the IP.

jalmassi
30th March 2011, 06:31 AM
Hopefully will catch up with a mechanic this weekend who has an SD33T (a modern one with the EDIC motor..!!) and see what he says. Will keep you posted........just in case it happens to you...!!!!

Finly Owner
30th March 2011, 11:52 PM
yeah as I'm intrigued""""

melts
11th April 2011, 09:32 PM
Ok, so going on my mates old SD33td patrol.

You have a fitting on the fuel pump that has nothing connected. On his there was a mechanical primer pump. This had the fuel in line going to it (thro the filter banjo fitting) then it went to the fuel filter, from there the right hand side of the injection pump.

His has an electrical EDC controller and when this was faulty there was no diesel coming out. I believe if you move this fully to the right, it will be in 'start' mode. this mode will flow lots of diesel. Perhaps pull and wire it in this position to see if you can get the thing to fire. Normal operating was in the middle somewhere and to the far left was fuel kill.

I would firstly investigate why you don't have this primer, then look at bypassing the vacume control on the EDC

GL.

melts
11th April 2011, 09:48 PM
sorry mate, dident see page two.

looks like your test setup is all ok, my mates fuel pump was different to yours, it was more like this :

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/LordBug/Photos/CarWork/SD33T_removed.jpg

his did not have the fuel return in the pump, this is quite interesting.

If you can bypass the Vac pump EDC control.

jalmassi
19th April 2011, 10:50 AM
Well, never managed to see the mechanic but did managed to get her going. Not 100% sure why but here is what I think. there must have been air getting in and not being bled. We took her for a tow (back on the mechanical fuel pump) and after a few hundred meters she started. I then looked closely for leaks and saw the valve holders on the IP looked to be weeping (probably from me bleeding the lines left right and center) so anyway took off the fuel lines injectors/IP and took off the valve holders. Gave them all a very good clean and put them back on. before putting the fuel lines back on we cranked her over to visually inspect the diesel coming straight out of the IP. Surprise surprise only no.1 was working properly (coating the underside of the bonnet..!!). So bled the IP again and then all six firing. Put the lines back on pushed her down the drive and she started no worries. This time could not see any weeping at all and she was running sweet. I'm away from home for a week now but my darling wife turned her over yesterday and she started first pop..........so must have been an air leak from somewhere (I think) but after replacing the fuel lines it took a serious tow to start her but now everything appears to be good.
Thanks to all for your comments and help, it's nice not to be alone when these gremlins strike.

Finly Owner
19th April 2011, 11:13 PM
Ok now I'm going to tell you to check it when you get home. Start it on dry clean spot and leave it run 5 minutes. Look for puddle underneatn on ground. If lift pump looks like it's weeping, you will need to purchase the seal kits that go in top of the pump. It is a DYI job. I have done this to mine.

Tim

jalmassi
21st April 2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks for that. I'll check it next week.

jalmassi
28th April 2011, 06:38 AM
looks good. Probably helped with all the new hoses and dismantling everything..!!! Thanks to all for the help.