PDA

View Full Version : put this and this in there

carsurgeons
16th April 2015, 10:28 AM
I guess it starts today.
It wont be a quick conversion because in my spare time i am also going to rebuild the engine and auto before they go in.
There is lots of helpful info on this site, which will help heaps.
As far as i know the td42 is a stocko with a garret turbo stuck on it.
It has 500 psi compression in each cylinder , 50 psi oil pressure at 3000rpm and runs about 7 psi boost.
It has got 430k on the clock, but still goes quite well because its a patrol 572585725957260
going into 572625726457265

carsurgeons
17th April 2015, 07:15 PM
Well i modified my engine lifting bar because the patrol is pretty high. (higher then a small car anyway). undone front crank bolt while still in car. removed bonnet and battery.
drained oil and coolant.
narva led light died tonight, great timing.
at this stage not sure what's going to be dearer, the parts or the beers.
tomorrow motor out and either strip or remove auto,see how i feel.

carsurgeons
18th April 2015, 07:27 PM

carsurgeons
18th April 2015, 07:40 PM
my doner patrol gave birth today and out came a 4.2 litre diesel. has been out before or auto has been out.has sealant around rear main. probably auto. only hassle rounded a flexs plate bolt . out came trusty die grinder with thin cutting disc and cut it down to 17 mm and then came off sweet. will need new bolt later. not much wear in the old girl , no lip on the top of the liner . i would have thought there would be some lip. might not be as dear as i thought , only 10 beers to this stage.see what i can get done tomorrow

carsurgeons
19th April 2015, 06:15 PM
this is like halley's comet . it will be a once in a lifetime event. got a bare block to take to engine guy sometime. all looks good so far.
has had seal up put in it , so will all be crack tested but just wondering has anybody had a oil cooler on the side of the block give trouble ie oil in water.
otherwise wait for the crack testing result.
not many pics just stripping down. give me a petrol motor any day. Hope i remember where everything goes i have a week at fraser coming up with all the lads always a bit brain dead when i return. 34 sleeps but whose counting. extra fuel drums will be a thing of the past soon

carsurgeons
24th April 2015, 06:49 PM
I took all the engine parts over to the engine guy today and we were checking them out, and the camshaft rolled of the trolley and hit the concrete and snapped like a carrot right in the middle.should have taken an unhappy snap. Now i have two 3 cyl td42 camshafts. Really rare.Good excuse to get a turbo spec camshaft.Nothing else exciting has happened, just getting prices and cleaning parts , that's lots of fun.I will post pics of the 3 cyl camshafts later i hope .

carsurgeons
19th May 2015, 09:37 AM
I took all the engine parts over to the engine guy today and we were checking them out, and the camshaft rolled of the trolley and hit the concrete and snapped like a carrot right in the middle.should have taken an unhappy snap. Now i have two 3 cyl td42 camshafts. Really rare.Good excuse to get a turbo spec camshaft.Nothing else exciting has happened, just getting prices and cleaning parts , that's lots of fun.I will post pics of the 3 cyl camshafts later i hope .

it is now 4 sleeps till fraser and cant wait. things have been going along slowly . i had the crank and flex plate and balancer balanced. the crank was out 2 or 3 grams out at one end and 4 grams out at other end. flex plate needed a 6 mm hole in one spot and balancer needed one small drill in one spot. the new factory con rods were the worst about 15 to 20 grams out and that was after weighing 12 rods and picking the closest 6. but they all came up ok after some attention. the new pistons and pins all weighed the same and will be balanced to within .1 of a gram after heights have been checked in block and have been ceramic coated. the turbo is a garrett t03 and i was told these work really well on patrols if set up right, mine had an exhaust housing which was too big causing late boost so getting a smaller one this week i hope. i should get block and all the parts back this week or when i get back from fraser, and will just be waiting on the ceramic coatings to be done. the only other thing was my old head was cracked so needed a new td42t head which was purchased at same time as other parts. Oh and i still need a camshaft.I should have most of the auto parts already just need to get the convertor done when i take the box out. I added a thread under electrical about fixing gq clocks, i have 2 and both didn't work and both needed one resister being re-soldered and both work fine now. dont know if all gq clocks have the same problem but it is an easy fix if they do. So hope that helps somebody else. that is all i have time for now ,got to get my fishing gear ready .

jff45
29th May 2015, 04:32 PM
I'd be interested to know your plans for the auto.
I've just finished rebuilding my spare trans to Q45 Infinity spec, that's extra frictions in 3 of the clutches. I have a Nomad valve body I've just overhauled (see my thread for details) that I'm using at the moment in my current running trans.

What are your plans for the convertor? What stall speed?

carsurgeons
9th June 2015, 06:16 PM
back from fraser now ,gq went really well. turned on computer and it died.You don't know how much you use your computer till you can't. New motherboard,ram and cpu and hours of installing and re-installing and i'm back in business. John not sure what i'll be doing to the auto and converter yet, probably pretty stock and will chat to my converter guy when i get around to that part.I think their only tough on the high clutch. and a lot of their issues are heat related.I'll wait till i get it apart. Still no parts back from engine guy yet. When he's finished the pistons need to be ceramic coated which can take a while because he normally does a run of pistons together, so i hope he already has some to do and mine will make up a run. After that off to the balancer and then can start assembly.it all takes time.

carsurgeons
5th July 2015, 06:27 PM
ok so all my engine parts are back. Started cleaning and painting. Crank is in , pistons are in , cam is in, sump is on. all the front is on. Hoping to get the head on this weekend but to much cleaning and painting.I think I'll get gout before this is finished . Thirsty work cleaning and painting. I'll maybe touch it during the week or next weekend.I think the v8's are on next weekend ,like watching them. here are some pics of so far.594505945159452594535945459455594565945759458 just thought i'd throw a faser pic in cause it was so much fun. Also auto is all finished. not much wrong with it. some seals were a bit hard but overall pretty good.

jff45
5th July 2015, 07:20 PM
Did you beef up the auto while it was being rebuilt?

carsurgeons
8th July 2015, 09:21 AM
john. Hi , i put a few extra frictions in where i could and some new bushes and band and solenoid set and filter and gasket and seal kit.Only modified the valve body to give it extra lube pressure. don't want it to shift any harder than it did already. also removed the lube relief valve in back of case. converter was reco to standard specs. Oh and a coat of paint .

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 06:59 PM
Well I have been busy.This is not something I would ever do again. Glad I had a whole car to get what I wanted.All the little things like starter and earth cables slightly thicker on the diesel,brackets and clips that were on the diesel but not on the petrol and so on.Its all up and running and has done about 800 k's.Runs like a clock. Here are some pics I took along the journey.61603This is the time to start dismantling my patrol.

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:02 PM
When I bought this new 26 years ago I never thought I would be doing this to it.616046160561606

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:05 PM
Onwards and upwards616076160861609Got a couple of wires to hook up and my diesel lines and tank

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:10 PM
I lost my diesel acc cable in the process. I think I put it somewhere really safe. One day I'll find it. For now I had to buy a new one.61610
My new 3 inch exhaust from Beaudesert Exhausts.61611
My new motor ready to slip in it's new home

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:16 PM
I was going to use my transfer case off my manual box behind the auto but it didn't have the park /neutral switch which warns you if you put the auto in park but the transfer box is in neutral. no biggy but if something ever happened I guess I would be responsible so I used the one off the auto.

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:19 PM
That was never there before616136161461615

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:28 PM
Time to slip it in61616 Looks like it was made for it . Well ok it was, but still looks good.6161761618 Time to squeeze in the auto cooler and condenser fan. Had to modify the grille a bit to get it to fit, and a new set of grille clips to hold it in place.61619
Now it's time to put the dash back in.616206165761658616596166061661

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:34 PM
Well it's coming together nicely .6162161622
I have to fit a snorkel now so time to cut a hole in the guard.It's taken me 26 years to work up the courage to cut a dirty great hole in the guard but here goes.61624.Now for the snorkel.6162361625

carsurgeons
27th September 2015, 07:37 PM
This is what it looks like after about 700 k's6162661627616286162961662616636166461665