PDA

View Full Version : 12v oven sale today only

dannypatrol
15th April 2015, 05:08 PM
Not really from gumtree or ebay but might be of interest to some people :)

Dicksmith has today only the 12v oven for 18 bucks, seems a bargain to me!

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/travel-accessories/dick-smith-12v-dc-portable-stove-dsau-m4515

threedogs
15th April 2015, 05:12 PM
AHH reminds me of the big stove sale of 2014 Ha ha ha
damn you Winnie lol or was it BA

Winnie
15th April 2015, 05:15 PM
Not really from gumtree or ebay but might be of interest to some people :)

Dicksmith has today only the 12v oven for 18 bucks, seems a bargain to me!

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/travel-accessories/dick-smith-12v-dc-portable-stove-dsau-m4515
Yeah WOW! Crazy cheap, they are an awesome unit. Nothing quite like munching on a hot pie while driving through the high country, or garlic chicken balls even go down a treat!

AHH reminds me of the big stove sale of 2014 Ha ha ha
damn you Winnie lol or was it BA
Guilty!

dannypatrol
15th April 2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah WOW! Crazy cheap, they are an awesome unit. Nothing quite like munching on a hot pie while driving through the high country, or garlic chicken balls even go down a treat!

Guilty!

ehm wait, garlic chicken balls?? unsure if I should ask, but what are garlic chicken balls? :O

BSRT.Beast
15th April 2015, 05:56 PM
Are these actually good ????

Clunk
15th April 2015, 06:01 PM
ehm wait, garlic chicken balls?? unsure if I should ask, but what are garlic chicken balls? :O

this might give you an idea of sorts https://www.steggles.com.au/chicken-garlic-mini-kievs

or http://www.scsfood.com.au/portfolio/products/

Winnie
15th April 2015, 06:15 PM
Bite size chicken Kiev

Yes! They are brilliant. Can even toast a sandwich. Steam dim sims... I use it basically as a pie warmer. Great for party pies and sausage rolls.

Bob
15th April 2015, 06:47 PM
Yes! They are brilliant. Can even toast a sandwich. Steam dim sims... I use it basically as a pie warmer. Great for party pies and sausage rolls.

I have purchased one Winnie so it is on your head if it is no good LMAO

BSRT.Beast
15th April 2015, 06:54 PM
I have purchased one Winnie so it is on your head if it is no good LMAO

I've ordered one also so I second Bob's sentiment lol

Maxhead
15th April 2015, 07:05 PM
Yummmmmmmmooooooo....Garlic balls are the go for sure hey Chrissso!!!

mudski
15th April 2015, 07:05 PM

Mate they are no buddy oven but they do well. We cook toasted cheese sanga's in our, cooked crumbled fish fillers, dim ' s, party pies etc etc. Great value for what they are.

Winnie
15th April 2015, 07:13 PM
Yummmmmmmmooooooo....Garlic balls are the go for sure hey Chrissso!!!

I remember at knockwood when everybody got to nibble on Winnies garlic balls, wiping the juices from their chins as they walked away. That was a good day.

Maxhead
15th April 2015, 07:18 PM
I remember at knockwood when everybody got to nibble on Winnies garlic balls, wiping the juices from their chins as they walked away. That was a good day.

I've been hooked ever since:)

dannypatrol
15th April 2015, 07:36 PM
Bite size chicken Kiev

Oh yeah that looks good!

jay see
15th April 2015, 07:51 PM
I think I'm going to get one.
Just means another thing to bring when out wheeling. But will be nice to have hot food on those cold days.

jay see
15th April 2015, 07:57 PM
I've ordered one also so I second Bob's sentiment lol

X2.
Better be good Winnie

mudski
15th April 2015, 08:14 PM
Mate they are no buddy oven but they do well. We cook toasted cheese sanga's in our, cooked crumbled fish fillers, dim ' s, party pies etc etc. Great value for what they are.

Gawd. I just re read what I wrote. Bloody auto correct..... lol

mudski
15th April 2015, 08:17 PM
I think I'm going to get one.
Just means another thing to bring when out wheeling. But will be nice to have hot food on those cold days.

It's not quick cooker too. To toast a sandwich it's around 10 minutes a side with the lid shut, then another 5 a side with the lid open to crisp it up. But if you organise it well they are good. Eating hot and crunchy crumbed fish in the snow is awesome.

jay see
15th April 2015, 08:34 PM
It's not quick cooker too. To toast a sandwich it's around 10 minutes a side with the lid shut, then another 5 a side with the lid open to crisp it up. But if you organise it well they are good. Eating hot and crunchy crumbed fish in the snow is awesome.

That's fine. I'll be using it mainly on day trips.

AB
15th April 2015, 09:18 PM
Just don't use them without direct charging your battery whilst they are on. I.e whilst driving or with solar panels on.

I have done too many lazy camp dinners at night and my deep cycle is now ruined!

Winnie
15th April 2015, 09:21 PM
Just don't use them without direct charging your battery whilst they are on. I.e whilst driving or with solar panels on.

I have done too many lazy camp dinners at night and my deep cycle is now ruined!

Yeah this too, I sometimes leave mine on for half an hour or so but try to time it so it's on while you're driving. They do chew the power!

jay see
15th April 2015, 09:38 PM

That's my intention. While driving or off solar.

BSRT.Beast
16th April 2015, 03:35 PM
Picked mine up today gotta love click and collect .... save the postage and with a rrp $53 this was an absolute bargain

Bob
17th April 2015, 08:07 AM
Picked mine up today gotta love click and collect .... save the postage and with a rrp $53 this was an absolute bargain

Yeah so did I. It had better be OKWinnie

threedogs
17th April 2015, 09:21 AM
Put your meal in about an hour before plan to stop and you'll have a hot meal when you arrive.
They draw a huge amount of power so best used on the move

@ Bob did you miss the big 12v stove sale of 2014? lol

Winnie
17th April 2015, 09:52 AM
Don't forget to turn your food, the bottom gets hot enough to fry. And keep opening the lid every 15 mins or so to let steam out or you will get soggy pies.

taslucas
19th April 2015, 08:57 AM
Don't forget to turn your food, the bottom gets hot enough to fry. And keep opening the lid every 15 mins or so to let steam out or you will get soggy pies.

Or just use the 4wd tracks to your advantage to keep the food rotating

threedogs
19th April 2015, 10:26 AM

Is it worthwhile placing a small wire cake trivett inside to keep it off the deck?

Winnie
19th April 2015, 12:23 PM
Is it worthwhile placing a small wire cake trivett inside to keep it off the deck?

Yeah probably, I've never bothered but you would still need to release steam

threedogs
19th April 2015, 04:30 PM
Yeah probably, I've never bothered but you would still need to release steam

I think I'll get one [cake rack] and cut to suit, You always mention steam , just need to remember to release it every so often
depending whats heating.

Winnie
19th April 2015, 04:49 PM
I think I'll get one [cake rack] and cut to suit, You always mention steam , just need to remember to release it every so often
depending whats heating.

Mainly with frozen pies etc... When they defrost they steam up a bit and these ovens are water tight. (great for steaming dim sims and hot dogs)

jay see
19th April 2015, 05:04 PM
How will these go on a jump pack, with a 12v point? Will be ideal at the kids footy games.

BSRT.Beast
19th April 2015, 06:40 PM
Quick question .... should the wiring get really hot ???? or should I return it and get another

Winnie
19th April 2015, 07:06 PM
Quick question .... should the wiring get really hot ???? or should I return it and get another

The cables are a too small for the unit, cost cutting on their part. I have replaced with thicker cable. Mine did not get really hot but were warm to touch

BSRT.Beast
19th April 2015, 07:39 PM
The cables are a too small for the unit, cost cutting on their part. I have replaced with thicker cable. Mine did not get really hot but were warm to touch

Cool thanks I'll have loads of cable let over after the rewire so I'll do that and probably put a better quality plug on also

jay see
1st May 2015, 05:51 AM

What about just having the car idling. Want to try it out tonight at my sons footy game. 1 hour max.

Maxhead
1st May 2015, 07:15 AM
What about just having the car idling. Want to try it out tonight at my sons footy game. 1 hour max.

That will be fine. They suck the juice out of the battery from memory around 10A/hr

Winnie
1st May 2015, 07:24 AM
That will be fine. They suck the juice out of the battery from memory around 10A/hr

Yeah roughly that, it'll be fine mate!

Mr-T
1st May 2015, 09:46 AM
I looked it up and it's $49.98 not $18 and the listing says it's a stove but I guess it's probably good to keep the pies warm on a cold day so I'll go get one from my local Dickies.
Cheers.

jay see
1st May 2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks gents.

10A/hr

Means nothing to me. Electrical was never my thing.

Mr T. They were $18, it was a online special DSE had.

mudski
1st May 2015, 12:04 PM
I looked it up and it's $49.98 not $18 and the listing says it's a stove but I guess it's probably good to keep the pies warm on a cold day so I'll go get one from my local Dickies.
Cheers.

Mate it will cook your pies....

threedogs
1st May 2015, 12:49 PM
How will these go on a jump pack, with a 12v point? Will be ideal at the kids footy games.

If you have a dual battery system and a power point 12v that is directly
off the Aux battery Id use that, not any that require the ignition to be on.

@ Winnie what size wire did you go up to 6mm???

Also I think a merit plug would be better than a Cig job
I think they would suck more than 10 ah

Sir Roofy
1st May 2015, 03:07 PM
If you have a dual battery system and a power point 12v that is directly
off the Aux battery Id use that, not any that require the ignition to be on.

@ Winnie what size wire did you go up to 6mm???

Also I think a merit plug would be better than a Cig job
I think they would suck more than 10 ah

Want a good connection use an Anderson plug I used them on my oven and fridge
don't have to worry about them coming loose and not connecting to power source
when you hit corrurgations

threedogs
1st May 2015, 03:19 PM
For a fridge yes a 50 amp anderson is the go, or a twist lock Engel/Baintech style mountable plug socket combo
Cig sockets should be avoided at all cost for running anything whilst on the move, or stationary for that matter
Try and source merit or the twist lock engel style, Merit have proved themselves to be up to the job for a positive connection.
Plus run all these ovens etc from your Aux battery as well, thats why you installed it in the first place, to run add ons
I have but dont use cig plugs for anything anymore, but when away sometimes you share gear so you need a compatable
outlet. but not a fan of cig outlets

jay see
1st May 2015, 07:44 PM
Just did 3 pies and 6 mini sausage rolls in 90 minutes.
Probably the best less than 20 I've spent

dannypatrol
12th May 2015, 12:00 PM
For a fridge yes a 50 amp anderson is the go, or a twist lock Engel/Baintech style mountable plug socket combo
Cig sockets should be avoided at all cost for running anything whilst on the move, or stationary for that matter
Try and source merit or the twist lock engel style, Merit have proved themselves to be up to the job for a positive connection.
Plus run all these ovens etc from your Aux battery as well, thats why you installed it in the first place, to run add ons
I have but dont use cig plugs for anything anymore, but when away sometimes you share gear so you need a compatable
outlet. but not a fan of cig outlets

Is there any harm in running an oven like this from an anderson plug? Just have some spare andersons so like to use those rather then buying a merit plug

lucus30
12th May 2015, 12:02 PM
Is there any harm in running an oven like this from an anderson plug? Just have some spare andersons so like to use those rather then buying a merit plug

If you are talking about these 50 amp Grey Anderson plugs (https://www.whitworths.com.au/products/33297_lg.jpg) and not the Anderson connectors ones they will be fine. I use Anderson Plugs for everything
I even use them for my fridge

threedogs
12th May 2015, 12:38 PM
X 2 on the anderson plug , see if you can get the TEE bar that you can bolt to them,
helps when you want to get them apart, this one is on the wrong way.
But you get the picture

mudski
12th May 2015, 09:58 PM
Lol. Bit of an overkill for these ovens.

lucus30
12th May 2015, 10:09 PM
Lol. Bit of an overkill for these ovens.
I agree but I just looove Anderson plugs

mudski
12th May 2015, 10:30 PM
I agree but I just looove Anderson plugs

Meh. The ciggies socket works fine, but a merit would be my choice for this application. Just to stop it rattling out.