PDA

View Full Version : Wear your PPE

growler2058
20th March 2011, 06:36 PM
Gday all PPE is an acronym for personal protective equpiment.

This weekend I have been working on my beloved troll. I've spilled the claret ,smashed a knuckle and copped a few other minor injuries all in the name of DIY. However it could have been alot worse had i not been wearing safety glasses. I work in construction where PPE is a way of life even for the most innocent of jobs so it comes naturally to me to chuck the gear on. Also I've had experiences with the type of task im about to tell you about in the past so was aware of the dangers.

Getting old bearings off without a puller was the job at hand today. Bearing carriers are made of very hard steel chrome plated for added longeviety, very hard and also brittle. So after breaking a finger nail from a heavy lump of steel travelling at terminal velocity I was slightly frustrated with the task at hand, and took to it with increased vigour. Lump (mash) hammer and cold chisel. "Hitting like imeant it" as they say. Well the stubborn little bugger came off kind of like a mini hand grenade, not loud but throwing little shards of schrapnel around everywhere, striking me in the face and ear and causing numerous little blood spots. These shards are sharp as glass and a SH!t load harder. You may have seen stickers on hammers saying dont strike two hammers together or against other hardened steels, the same thing can happen. So the point I'm trying to make is no matter how small yhe job at hand is take time to think about all possible consequences. These inner bearing carriers are only about the size of a 50c piece but in the right circumstances can have devastating consequences for the under prepared.

Play it safe out there folks, our safety statement at work is IIF (incident and injury free) and its something i try to take on board all the time. Our recreational pastime of 4wding is a great way to show our kids this brilliant country we live in but can be bloody dangerous, so think before ya act and have safe fun

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 06:48 PM
Gday all PPE is an acronym for personal protective equpiment.

This weekend I have been working on my beloved troll. I've spilled the claret ,smashed a knuckle and copped a few other minor injuries all in the name of DIY. However it could have been alot worse had i not been wearing safety glasses. I work in construction where PPE is a way of life even for the most innocent of jobs so it comes naturally to me to chuck the gear on. Also I've had experiences with the type of task im about to tell you about in the past so was aware of the dangers.

Getting old bearings off without a puller was the job at hand today. Bearing carriers are made of very hard steel chrome plated for added longeviety, very hard and also brittle. So after breaking a finger nail from a heavy lump of steel travelling at terminal velocity I was slightly frustrated with the task at hand, and took to it with increased vigour. Lump (mash) hammer and cold chisel. "Hitting like imeant it" as they say. Well the stubborn little bugger came off kind of like a mini hand grenade, not loud but throwing little shards of schrapnel around everywhere, striking me in the face and ear and causing numerous little blood spots. These shards are sharp as glass and a SH!t load harder. You may have seen stickers on hammers saying dont strike two hammers together or against other hardened steels, the same thing can happen. So the point I'm trying to make is no matter how small yhe job at hand is take time to think about all possible consequences. These inner bearing carriers are only about the size of a 50c piece but in the right circumstances can have devastating consequences for the under prepared.

Play it safe out there folks, our safety statement at work is IIF (incident and injury free) and its something i try to take on board all the time. Our recreational pastime of 4wding is a great way to show our kids this brilliant country we live in but can be bloody dangerous, so think before ya act and have safe fun

Thanks mate - good post and good advice!

Dhuck
20th March 2011, 06:59 PM
Is good advice. So now time few a few more beers and drag out the 9 inch grinder to cut the head of that bolt off. LOL

growler2058
20th March 2011, 07:18 PM
Is good advice. So now time few a few more beers and drag out the 9 inch grinder to cut the head of that bolt off. LOL

Make sure you take the guard off so you can see the bolt proper hahahahahahahaha and do it in the rain so you dont start a fire hahahahahha

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 07:20 PM
That's good advice mate, thanks for the post

Dhuck
20th March 2011, 07:22 PM
Make sure you take the guard off so you can see the bolt proper hahahahahahahaha and do it in the rain so you dont start a fire hahahahahha

Glad you saw the humor. I was a little worried after I posted

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just done my OSH reps course and know the importance of safety.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Maxhead
20th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Glad you can still see the keyboard mate. Sometimes its just to easy to cut corners and end up injured.
Top advice mate.

growler2058
20th March 2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just done my OSH reps course and know the importance of safety.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Onya Rossco the more of us out there the better, theres some dodgy operators out there that gotta be made accountable when they put their workers at risk. I used to work for the dodgiest now i work for one of the safest big builders in the world and it blows me away to see how bad the other mob was i worked for.

Im doing a ohs diploma at moment, havent had to study for 23 odd years. Hoping to step up in the OHS world. Yell out if you have any Q's alot of the study info is on the W.A ohs&w act.

Good to see u back any way mate now we can have our three word game story experience again hahahahahahhaahaha

Silver
20th March 2011, 08:26 PM
yep. only two eyes and two ears :-)

That was quicker and more exciting than the AB - 2 puller I used

Finly Owner
22nd March 2011, 02:53 AM
Excellent warning

malcolm
13th May 2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks , new to the patrol forum and there's some great info to be found.

On a more mundane level I use protective disposable gloves for most of the messy jobs - kitchen food gloves or nitile rubber . Lots of toxins in old engine oil etc that are good to keep off your skin.

Skin is actually quite good at absorbing all sorts of toxic chemicals and only later in life have I realised how important it is to minimise contact.

Cheers

growler2058
13th May 2012, 04:04 PM
With ya there Malcolm absorbtion into the skin is the quickest way for nasties to get straight into your central nervous system. All apprentice plumbers dont lick your fingers and smooth out silicone its bad..........apart from that other peoples sh1t is a plumbers bread n butter hahahahaha

macca86
13th May 2012, 05:07 PM
Thread Hijack but safety first

http://www.asianjobportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/workplacesafety.jpg

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=asian+health+and+safety&view=detail&id=1E9B24CF1C4D63C6597D173938A055F8BCE36C4E&first=61&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/attachments/42/14482d1253485187-aussie-safety-footwear-worksafe.jpg

http://static.onemansblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Daisy_Chain_Forklifts.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00718/SNF2620A_682_718042a.jpg

growler2058
13th May 2012, 05:50 PM
Gotta love the welding a petrol tank ay!!
Spent a bit of time in SE Asia and have seen some very dodgy work practices ;-)

ozzymalone
14th May 2012, 11:57 AM
Hey Growlers71gq. Do I have some incredible stories that would make your blood boil... I am very safety concious but had to do some very high risk activities in the aircon/sheet metal game that need to be investigated. What involved in becoming a OH&S supervisor? Strongly considered it after the background I have!

growler2058
14th May 2012, 12:04 PM
Hey Growlers71gq. Do I have some incredible stories that would make your blood boil... I am very safety concious but had to do some very high risk activities in the aircon/sheet metal game that need to be investigated. What involved in becoming a OH&S supervisor? Strongly considered it after the background I have!

Theres a heap of courses.
Start easy with a safety supervisors ticket its a 3-5 day course like a loooong white card ticket
Then if ya keen do a cert4 ohs either atr tafe or online with someone like oten. is hard online keeping motivated
Ive bypassed the cert4 and am doing a diploma in OHS which is quite intense and is aimed at management at changing entire workforce mentality/culture towards safe work practices
Ive worked in residential, civil, and now commercial construction and its only recently ive decided to go the ohs path (supvsr/mngmnt).
Ive seen some very dodgy/questionable practices in resi and civil and at companies who say safety is paramount but when theres $ INVOLVED SAFETY GOES OUT THE WINDOW the mob im working for now though will walk or loose $ before they compromise safety

EDIT ive also done health safety representitive cert 3 as i was a safety rep whilst also being a civil supervisor and on the safety committee.

Brendan56
17th May 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm with a place at the moment that always says safety before money, but don't preach it.

growler2058
17th May 2012, 09:03 PM
We preach and preach and preach and practice it and slap those that dont wanna play :-) absolutely no compromise. its black n white no shades of grey

ozzymalone
18th May 2012, 02:28 PM
We preach and preach and preach and practice it and slap those that dont wanna play :-) absolutely no compromise. its black n white no shades of grey

And thats how it should be!

dion_83
22nd May 2012, 11:24 PM
It's always a good idea even swinging off spanners all day long, always keep gloves, sleaves, and glasses near by, God know's what would have happened to me by now if I did'nt.

nomadTech87
2nd September 2012, 09:32 PM
I always keep the safety glasses handy these days. Had a siezed brake cylinder in a landrover a while back, gave it only a medium whack with a hammer and some residual fluid in there sprayed out and splashed my eye.
I've had stuff get in my eye before but nothing on earth like that brake fluid. Always chuck on the specs now

Les Penrose
4th September 2012, 05:33 AM
If you are out in the scrub and something goes wrong, the tendancy is to make a quick decision as to how to fix it. I reckon the best PPE is a cuppa, think about outcomes before doing anything

MC97GQ
4th September 2012, 08:14 AM
If you are out in the scrub and something goes wrong, the tendancy is to make a quick decision as to how to fix it. I reckon the best PPE is a cuppa, think about outcomes before doing anything

Les you are so right, better to stand back(to quote an old expression), Roll em if you got em, Stand back and think about what to do next. I have seen it so many time when acting in haste has compounded the problem, and the person getting into so much more strife.

Mark

threedogs
4th September 2012, 12:16 PM
X2 Les , read that years ago in Jack Absoloms book, he also suggests playing Solitaire, as sooner or later someone will put the black jack on the red queen.
Think it was a cook book with Reg his brother.
I've been on work care/cover since 1991, had 16 major operations plus going in for 17th very shortely. cannot stress enough to think through what and how you want to do something[recovery]
then think what can go wrong. make a plan and stick to it.

Been watching bicycle at Para olympics, one rider was abled bodied till a towing accident robbed him of his eye sight now he's on the back of the tandem
Heaps more I'd love to write on this topic

Silver
4th September 2012, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=threedogs;265459]X2 Les , read that years ago in Jack Absoloms book, he also suggests playing Solitaire, as sooner or later someone will put the black jack on the red queen.
I've been on work care/cover since 1991, had 16 major operations plus going in for 17th very shortely. cannot stress enough to think through what and how you want to do something[recovery]

Been watching bicycle at Para olympics, one rider was abled bodied till a towing accident robbed him of his eye sight now he's on the back of the tandem
Heaps more I'd love to write on this topic[/QUOTE

'Safe Outback Travel' is the book - a slim volume that turns up second hand, an enjoyable read that captures a fair bit of experience.

BG0067
6th September 2012, 03:58 PM
X2 Les , read that years ago in Jack Absoloms book, he also suggests playing Solitaire, as sooner or later someone will put the black jack on the red queen.

Heaps more I'd love to write on this topic

That is so true about the cards --
They are a main part of any toolbox or recovery gear that I carry. It's been a standing joke in our family for years.
No matter how lost or how stuck or how much trouble you are in the first thing to do is make a coffee and deal out a game of solitaire -- Then you can just about guarantee within 20 minutes some one will come along and tell you you've played your last card wrong.