PDA

View Full Version : FFS Shovel

NotTortoise
12th April 2015, 09:23 PM
So I thought that it was time to put a shovel up on the roof cage. Went out bought a beaut, $50 on a really strong looking Cyclone shovel, bought some insert nuts, nice wing nut screws, nylon washers, the works for an awesome job.

All good, nice, solid fit, very strong and looks great...

Last things last. Remove the stickers, I know it's a little thing, but I have experienced old stickers giving me blisters and I think it looks better without some silly warning label about how to not cut your own toes off.

Not thinking about using the "test on an inconspicuous first" approach I coated the whole thing in orange oil spray after picking the little tiny bits of sticker and adhesive off.

Thinking that it is all very sticky now I ask the missus to come have a look. Sure enough I had the varnish and paint from the blade all coming off.

Trying to sand it all back to try and save face and I can't even get the shovel apart now.

I think i'm out to buy a new and very expensive shovel tomorrow morning.

Could have been worse, but lesson learned. :oops:

Rock Trol
12th April 2015, 09:29 PM
DOH!
You have to be careful with that orange spray. You could get all the varnish and paint of, sand the metal back and then get some gun blue and treat it with that.
Should look OK after that.

NotTortoise
12th April 2015, 09:53 PM
Gun blue isn't a bad idea, that would look quite smart. Can you brush that stuff on or do you have to spray it?

P4trol
12th April 2015, 10:06 PM
Wouldn't it be better to get it dirty? Keep the rust off by regular use!

SonOf
13th April 2015, 08:37 AM
Just rub the gun blue on, no spraying.

Gun blue isn't a bad idea, that would look quite smart. Can you brush that stuff on or do you have to spray it?

threedogs
13th April 2015, 08:42 AM
Wouldn't it be better to get it dirty? Keep the rust off by regular use!

I just wash my shovel if I remember when I get home and spray with matt black for next time.
It gets a work out at camp around the fire so its "blued" anyway and doesn't rust
I also spray the handle with Lanotec, CRC Doesel you name it, that handle will never break imo
over 25 yrs old no easy

Bloodyaussie
13th April 2015, 08:49 AM
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha.......... the point at which you realise you have just stuffed up hey!!!!!

Rocket55
13th April 2015, 09:03 AM
I just use a $7 fibreglass handled plumbers shovel from Bunnings and replace as necessary. Pretty low maintenance as well. I don't stress about it getting stolen either.

macca
13th April 2015, 09:51 AM
This was called a Rigid Number 2 shovel long handle, round point.

https://www.ridgid.com/au/en/shovels

A mate is a plumber, in 1988 he said if you are going to swing on a shovel get a good one, being sparky's we do a bit of digging so took his advice.

These are great shovels that make the job as easy as it could be and we still have 2 that are '88 vintage one is under my Patrol's tray.

A bloke that does a lot of digging like a plumber is worth listening to LOL

threedogs
13th April 2015, 03:11 PM
I just use a $7 fibreglass handled plumbers shovel from Bunnings and replace as necessary. Pretty low maintenance as well. I don't stress about it getting stolen either.

We call the black snakes who picks up a black snake
why would you want to steal a shovel it only means work

macca
13th April 2015, 03:28 PM
We call the black snakes who picks up a black snake
why would you want to steal a shovel it only means work

A mate calls them a DC Stick.
Only Dumb Chappies use them, you have to fit your own words to get what he actually said, being so sensitive and all that :biggrin:

mjr350
26th April 2015, 03:35 PM
In future. WD40 will remove anything, especially sticker residue

NissanGQ4.2
26th April 2015, 04:42 PM
being sparky's we do a bit of digging so took his advice.

When are you coming to my house 2 do some work? Seems like the sparky's around here aren't interested in doing small house jobs :(

macca
26th April 2015, 05:07 PM
When are you coming to my house 2 do some work? Seems like the sparky's around here aren't interested in doing small house jobs :(

They are mad, small jobs lead to big ones.

Travel to the Lower Blues is a bit far though old mate.

mjr350
26th April 2015, 10:24 PM
Be careful with cold blue. Its a controlled rusting process that will cause rust faster in weather.
My blued rifles will rust overnight if not oiled.

RedRoadRunner
15th December 2015, 07:31 PM
Be careful with cold blue. Its a controlled rusting process that will cause rust faster in weather.
My blued rifles will rust overnight if not oiled.

Don't they bloody just!