PDA

View Full Version : Weber Q cooking

Winnie
11th April 2015, 07:17 PM
Today we bought a Weber Q, the mid sized one but the special edition with the higher lid and thermometer.
We just cooked a pork belly and roast veggies, and the meat was sensational and the veggies were good, but we did not get a bit of crackling!
I had it turned up full heat the whole cook and it took about an hour. Does anybody with experience have any tips on how to make the crackling?

AB
11th April 2015, 07:21 PM
Today we bought a Weber Q, the mid sized one but the special edition with the higher lid and thermometer. We just cooked a pork belly and roast veggies, and the meat was sensational and the veggies were good, but we did not get a bit of crackling! I had it turned up full heat the whole cook and it took about an hour. Does anybody with experience have any tips on how to make the crackling? I'm doing pork in the kitchen right now:)

I use tea towel or paper towel and dabb the fat to dry it out then salt it all first.

Winnie
11th April 2015, 07:25 PM
I'm doing pork in the kitchen right now:)

I use tea towel or paper towel and dabb the fat to dry it out then salt it all first.

Yep I did all that as I normally do but it just would not crackle in the Weber. My theory is that the pork is low so the skin is not close to the lid which is hot... Maybe if I raise the trivet so the pork is closer to the lid it will work better?

AB
11th April 2015, 07:43 PM
Yep I did all that as I normally do but it just would not crackle in the Weber. My theory is that the pork is low so the skin is not close to the lid which is hot... Maybe if I raise the trivet so the pork is closer to the lid it will work better?

Trivet;).....

Winnie
11th April 2015, 07:45 PM
Trivet;).....

I thought you'd like that!

paulyg
11th April 2015, 07:46 PM
Did you preheat first?

Winnie
11th April 2015, 07:51 PM
Did you preheat first?

Yep for 10mins on high

firm351
11th April 2015, 08:10 PM
Ive got a baby Q with the high lid and thermometer. I haven't done pork in it yet at Christmas I did a turkey in it, was a decent size bird so there wasnt a lot of clearance between it and the lid, I had it turned up flat out the whole time and the temp on the thermometer never went above about 130. Took 5 hrs but it was bloody beautiful turkey.

I reckon for pork you might not have got enough heat for the crackle, what was thermometer reading when you put it in and during cooking?

Mine can get well over 300 degrees after a long pre heat so I reckon preheat the shit out of it then stick the pork in and hopefully it will stay hot enough for the first 20 or so minutes. Make sure the pork is near room temp before you put it in not straight out of the fridge will help aswell.

Now im bloody hungry and only crappy mine camp food for tea. Wish I had pork belly!

Winnie
11th April 2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks mate... It read about 220 for most of the time.
I'll try it again with extra preheating and see how that goes.

growler2058
11th April 2015, 09:47 PM
Just crackle it up with a cooking blow torch at the end. Problem solved ;)

Winnie
11th April 2015, 09:54 PM
Just crackle it up with a cooking blow torch at the end. Problem solved ;)

Haven't heard that one before! I cut the rind off and put it under the grill so it was all good in the end

BigRAWesty
11th April 2015, 09:57 PM
Haven't heard that one before! I cut the rind off and put it under the grill so it was all good in the end

That's what we do.

threedogs
12th April 2015, 08:35 AM
Look forward to some more meals, i just cook on very high for 3/4 hr skin up then turn down low for a few hours.
Does their web site suggest anything, they are an awesome cooking system

Winnie
12th April 2015, 08:39 AM
Look forward to some more meals, i just cook on very high for 3/4 hr skin up then turn down low for a few hours.
Does their web site suggest anything, they are an awesome cooking system

Nah nothing about belly on their website. I think the problem was, max temp just wasn't quite hot enough

growler2058
12th April 2015, 08:48 AM

You hang with me an ill teach you a few things pup;)

threedogs
12th April 2015, 08:51 AM
AH Grasshopper has spoken I await your first lesson lol

Maxhead
12th April 2015, 02:02 PM
I've got the Q100 with high lid and thermometer Chrisso and what I do is get it red hot place skin down without any al foil on a trivet and get the thing roaring and spiting hot oil and flameing up. Once the crackling is just about done then put al foil in under the trivet and turn the roast skin up and turn down to low. Don't open it for a couple of hours and you're done...LOL Works for me every time

Clunk
12th April 2015, 02:19 PM
Would rubbing salt onto the fat help?

threedogs
12th April 2015, 02:24 PM

Yeah thats what I heard scour with a knife and rub with oil and salt.
Pretty sure Winnie did that

Clunk
12th April 2015, 02:35 PM
Yeah thats what I heard scour with a knife and rub with oil and salt.
Pretty sure Winnie did that

Ah yeah, so he did ;)

Maxhead
12th April 2015, 02:36 PM

C'mon Clunk, everyone knows that:tease:

Clunk
12th April 2015, 02:52 PM

I didnt .......... dont really do pork , missus does like it much, apart from bacon that us lol

Winnie
12th April 2015, 03:21 PM

I was waiting for the weber master to come along...
I don't reckon mine would get hot enough to do it really?

Maxhead
12th April 2015, 03:34 PM
I don't reckon mine would get hot enough to do it really?

Really???? Take it back...lol

Yeah maybe try preheating it more or go with Growles suggestion:sterb032:

Winnie
12th April 2015, 04:14 PM
You had me worried Kris so I went out and turned it on full heat for 15mins and it went to 280C
I think what's happened is, somehow we have got the family q convection trays and it took up too much space on the grill and did not allow the hot air to circulate properly.
Doing steaks tomorrow night so we'll see how they go!

Maxhead
12th April 2015, 04:21 PM
You had me worried Kris so I went out and turned it on full heat for 15mins and it went to 280C
I think what's happened is, somehow we have got the family q convection trays and it took up too much space on the grill and did not allow the hot air to circulate properly.
Doing steaks tomorrow night so we'll see how they go!

That will do it mate...LOL If I put one of those trays on the grill its useless but ok for bacon and eggs ...Problem solved ! Now go and get a pork roast and try again:)

threedogs
12th April 2015, 04:43 PM
Can you put a pic of your Webber please Winnie

Winnie
12th April 2015, 05:16 PM
That will do it mate...LOL If I put one of those trays on the grill its useless but ok for bacon and eggs ...Problem solved ! Now go and get a pork roast and try again:)
No no, the foil convection tray that goes under the trivet to direct heat and catch oil...

Can you put a pic of your Webber please Winnie

This bloody forum app won't let me upload a photo! It's a Weber Q 2200

Winnie
12th April 2015, 05:16 PM

App just worked... Lol

threedogs
12th April 2015, 05:19 PM
perfect size to take away if the weather turns nasty, very nice thanks

Winnie
12th April 2015, 05:21 PM
perfect size to take away if the weather turns nasty, very nice thanks

If you were gonna get one to take away then the baby q would be better, exactly the same but a bit smaller...very popular with caravanners.
We were gonna get the baby because it's big enough for roasting but got the mid size Q for its bigger grill size

growler2058
12th April 2015, 06:40 PM
I love pork. Its my favourite roast

Winnie
12th April 2015, 06:41 PM
I love pork. Its my favourite roast

Second only to lamb =)

growler2058
12th April 2015, 06:45 PM
Second only to lamb =)

Actually way prefer roast goat to lamb,

Come to think of it I really love all roast meat

AB
12th April 2015, 06:50 PM
Actually way prefer roast goat to lamb, Come to think of it I really love all roast meat my next investment is a Cobb!!!!!

Winnie
12th April 2015, 06:51 PM
my next investment is a Cobb!!!!!

Yep that's a much better camping alternative to the weber q... It's like a mini kettle BBQ, awesome little thing they are!!

lhurley
12th April 2015, 09:52 PM
According to my old man (not a cook but does damn good), before you cook the pork, dry it off with paper towel and then salt then rub with white vinegar.

Apparently it gives better crackle then rubbing with oil does. We are having roast pork in our coal weber tomorrow so I see how it goes.

Btw lamb roast in a coal weber is the best. Hands down.

threedogs
13th April 2015, 09:01 AM
A white russian friend of mine [big eaters] does a mean lamb shoulder on a webber.
Last camp I took 2 lamb shoulders , there were no complaints, Not a fan of those Cobb
stoves. as you need to take heat beads.

Winnie
13th April 2015, 09:11 AM
A white russian friend of mine [big eaters] does a mean lamb shoulder on a webber.
Last camp I took 2 lamb shoulders , there were no complaints, Not a fan of those Cobb
stoves. as you need to take heat beads.

No different to having to take a gas bottle though, actually a small bag of heat beads would take up less room. And you get the coal taste... I think they're a great idea.

Woof
13th April 2015, 11:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6xswgiIyA&sns=fb

threedogs
13th April 2015, 03:44 PM
I take it if buying new you can specify what gas you want
I see they have a spit option as well,

Winnie
15th April 2015, 07:41 PM
Done a few steaks on the Q now and they come out perfect every time... Little bit of oil and pepper and a shyte load of salt, mmmm yum!

Maxhead
15th April 2015, 07:48 PM
Once you get used to them they are a great bit of gear

Winnie
15th April 2015, 07:50 PM
Once you get used to them they are a great bit of gear

Yep got a nice little roast lamb to do this weekend, can't wait.

Winnie
19th April 2015, 09:50 PM
Just cooked a killer leg of lamb! Love this BBQ! Been doing steaks during the week but tonight's lamb was incredible

outback
22nd April 2015, 01:39 AM
I take it if buying new you can specify what gas you want
I see they have a spit option as well,

As TD noted.. spit option.. Worth the money..

Maxhead
22nd April 2015, 07:44 AM
Just cooked a killer leg of lamb! Love this BBQ! Been doing steaks during the week but tonight's lamb was incredible

Yeah right!! pics or you're lying

Winnie
22nd April 2015, 07:53 AM
Yeah right!! pics or you're lying

Might have to wait until this weekend =)

threedogs
22nd April 2015, 08:58 AM
by the weekend you'll have pleny more mouth watering meals to tease us with.lol
Noticed yesterday at Aldi they sell a similar style BBQ for $220, alloy hood and all

Those small chicken roasts from Lennards would work well I suppose,,, after all
it is a Weber

Winnie
17th May 2015, 07:30 PM
Been using this BBQ flat out... At least 4 times a week. Just did a Roast pork, absolutely incredible!! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/153.jpg

threedogs
17th May 2015, 07:34 PM
I hate you lol

firm351
17th May 2015, 08:07 PM
Been using this BBQ flat out... At least 4 times a week. Just did a Roast pork, absolutely incredible!! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/153.jpg
How did the crackle come up mate?

Winnie
17th May 2015, 09:57 PM
How did the crackle come up mate?
It was spot on mate, best I've had in years

threedogs
18th May 2015, 08:36 AM
That crackle is to die for, did you have high heat
for 1hr then turn it right down to finish the cooking

Winnie
18th May 2015, 09:48 AM
That crackle is to die for, did you have high heat
for 1hr then turn it right down to finish the cooking
Just high heat for 20 mins... That's all that was needed. About 250 degrees. Then down to 180ish for another hour to finish it off.

Batten44
4th November 2015, 04:02 PM
Got a Baby Q, love to take it camping. Always gives a great feed!

threedogs
4th November 2015, 04:38 PM
Heres a gem for some BBQ's obviously designed by an Aussie
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Baby-Q-BBQ-Scraper-Cleaning-Tool-5-in-1-Stainless-Steel-bottle-opener-/191731214512?hash=item2ca41228b0:g:05cAAOSwAYtWMHD K

Winnie
4th November 2015, 05:13 PM
Heres a gem for some BBQ's obviously designed by an Aussie
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Baby-Q-BBQ-Scraper-Cleaning-Tool-5-in-1-Stainless-Steel-bottle-opener-/191731214512?hash=item2ca41228b0:g:05cAAOSwAYtWMHD K

That's awesome, will be getting one of those now. Cheers

threedogs
4th November 2015, 05:40 PM
That's awesome, will be getting one of those now. Cheers

Im jealous of your Q so I loked up prices , and came across that scraper.
Could laser cut one myself but for that price I wouldnt bother,
will be buying one myself

Winnie
4th November 2015, 06:30 PM
Im jealous of your Q so I loked up prices , and came across that scraper.
Could laser cut one myself but for that price I wouldnt bother,
will be buying one myself

We still use it a minimum of 3-4 times a week, we don't use the oven inside at all. Got chicken drumsticks roasting in there as we speak.
After all this time and using it so often we are still only on our second 9kg gas bottle.

Bush Ranger
10th June 2016, 08:02 PM
I don`t have a Weber Q, but I do have a hooded 4 burner BBQ, that I put those coal briquettes dodads in on top of the volcanic rocks. I turn the gas on for a few minutes to light them up and then bung in a roast lamb, pork or a couple of chooks on the spit roast turner and place an aluminium foil tray full of veges underneath the cooking meat to catch the dripping fat to help cook the veges. Turns out well with fresh Rosemary, Sage, Salt and Pepper. The best way to cook a roast I reckon.