PDA

View Full Version : A trip to the Kimberley & Pilbara

micknor51
11th April 2015, 02:38 PM
Hi folks, I am planning in June to go to the Kimberley, Gibb River Road and on up to the Mitchell Plateau. I will be towing an off road camper trailer (Pioneer Argyle). Is it advisable to take the camper trailer all the way to the Mitchell Falls campground or should it be left at Drysdale River Homestead and tent it at Mitchell Falls?
Has anyone tried this trip with a camper, if so what are the pros and cons?
Cheers
Michael

TPC
11th April 2015, 02:59 PM
Hi folks, I am planning in June to go to the Kimberley, Gibb River Road and on up to the Mitchell Plateau. I will be towing an off road camper trailer (Pioneer Argyle). Is it advisable to take the camper trailer all the way to the Mitchell Falls campground or should it be left at Drysdale River Homestead and tent it at Mitchell Falls?
Has anyone tried this trip with a camper, if so what are the pros and cons?
Cheers
Michael

Hi Michael,

I took my offroad camper to Mitchell Falls campground last year, if the trailer is strong and you are willing to go slow and lookout for larger holes it is ok but it would be a more comfortable drive without a trailer.
I did have a problem with the brakes on the trailer, the pads had worn at the mounting points and started jaming on and had to disable them until I got to Broome and fixed them.
We did come across a family in a Prado along the way that had left thier trailer at Drysdale and had a few issues like a broken battery mount and bashplate and they had left thier tools and spares in the trailer, fortunately we had what they needed. If you do leave the trailer make sure you grab everything you need.
If I was doing it again I would leave my trailer at Drysdale and tent it.
Cheers,
Tony

micknor51
11th April 2015, 06:38 PM
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the information. Tenting up to Mitchell Falls sounds like the go then (I will have to remember how to erect it again). No problems with the tools I always carry them in the Patrol.
Cheers
Michael

Bloggsy
11th April 2015, 09:13 PM
Hi Michael,

In 2010 we camped (with camper trailer) at the King Edward River campgrounds and just did a day trip up to the falls. Quite easily done in a day, but we did walk in and helicopter out. I think we left camp at 7:30am and we were back at camp well before dark. If you decide to camp at King Edward camp, I'd suggest camping at the right hand side camp as you come into the area. A lot nicer and a lot less busy. Do walk down along the river to the other camp though as there some nice little Rapids and a waterfall area for swimming, only the odd freshie when we were there. Well we never saw any though. Have a great trip!

cheers
Darren

PS there's also a couple of aboriginal rock art sites around the King Edward River campgrounds.

micknor51
12th April 2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks Darren,
A day trip in and out is another option as my wife is not keen sleeping on the hard ground anymore even with a bit of sponge underbum. Was it very busy at the King Edward River campground?
Cheers
Michael

Bloggsy
12th April 2015, 12:12 PM
Left hand camp was definitely crowded 40-50+ camps, but the right nowhere near as crowded, probably about 15 camps. I think people on the left camp there because it is closer to the areas for swimming.

micknor51
12th April 2015, 12:20 PM
Busy busy and that was 5 years ago. Thanks for the info Darren.
Michael

Bloggsy
12th April 2015, 01:43 PM
Oh and that was the end of July. I think the campsite we stayed at was known as Campsite 2. About 3kms after the King Edward River crossing is the turnoff to the campgrounds on your right. Down here you will come across the turnoff to campsite 2 first, which should be the right hand turn to take. Both campsites have Eco toilets. They do smell very pungent in the mornings haha!

micknor51
12th April 2015, 02:32 PM
Perhaps the hordes will not have arrived by the time we get there mid to late June or we will just add to the numbers.
Eco toilets are better than no toilets and poop everywhere, the aroma is just an extra bonus or not!!
Michael

P4trol
12th April 2015, 08:14 PM
Perhaps the hordes will not have arrived by the time we get there mid to late June

You're a funny man Michael!

the evil twin
12th April 2015, 09:00 PM
You won't see any hordes on the Gibb River Road in June... they'll be indistinguishable in amongst the gazillions of Tourists

Doesn't make it any less worth going tho

micknor51
13th April 2015, 08:40 AM
The more the merrier helps create 'Los gazillionous' hence only too happy to add to the numbers. We are all only tourists after all.
Looking forward to the trip.
It has been said before that I am a bit funny or was that just strange? I always try hard!!
Cheers
Michael

P4trol
13th April 2015, 01:14 PM
The official start to the dry season is Easter. We always watch with great merriment the amount of people arriving right on Easter- as if suddenly the weather changes on that very weekend. Nights have cooled down though.

The earlier in the season, the greener, and more water around.

I'll be there sometime in may.

the evil twin
13th April 2015, 02:33 PM
ROFL, yeah, Mother Nature is an atheist.
Easter Pffft... Her dry season starts when the Dragon Flies hatch.

May will be really nice around the waterfalls all thru the top of Oz