PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Intercooler

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 06:01 PM
I have what looks to be a leak from the intercooler (sooty deposit near the edge) how worried should i be? Its a ZD30 02 model

YNOT
19th March 2011, 06:14 PM
I have what looks to be a leak from the intercooler (sooty deposit near the edge) how worried should i be? Its a ZD30 02 model

It is reasonably common for ZD30 intercoolers to leak. There are generally 2 main causes of them leaking.
1, The shroud on top of the intercooler can rub through the core. I spaced my shroud up with a few washers on each mounting bolt.
2, Overboosting can push the crimped on end tanks away from the core allowing the seal between the core and tank to leak. It's a good idea to fit a boost guage if you don't already have one so you can see what the boost is doing. If it is overboosting then it will be worthwhile fitting a Dawes valve to manually control the boost.

In either case if your I/C is leaking you need to replace it. Forget buying genuine, over priced and no better than what you already have. Places like PWR (www.pwr.com.au) and ARE do exchange intercoolers where they weld the original end tanks onto a higher quality core.
You could go a step further and fit an upgraded intercooler while you're at it.

You should be concerned about a leaking intercooler especially if you don't have an exhaust temp guage fitted. Low boost can raise the exhaust gas temperatures although it is unlikely you would be loosing enough boost to do damage.

Tony

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks Tony. Concerned enough to stop driving the car until its fixed?

YNOT
19th March 2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks Tony. Concerned enough to stop driving the car until its fixed?

Can you post a photo of the intercooler?
It's probably been leaking for a while and you've only just noticed.

Tony

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 06:28 PM
I'll have a go Tony, but i havent had much luck posting pics upto now for some reason. Plus its raining persistantly at the moment.

YNOT
19th March 2011, 06:30 PM
The weather's the same down here on the southside Nick.
Are you trying to post photos as attachments or from a photo hosting website like Photobucket?

Tony

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 06:42 PM
No mate im trying to load pics i just loaded into the computer. when i click the insert image icon it asks for a URL starting with http. any idea what im doing wrong?

YNOT
19th March 2011, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure which insert image icon you're referring to, but if you go into "go advanced" then click on either the paperclip icon up the top or "attachments (manage attachments)" down the bottom - you need to scroll down to see that one, it will bring up a box that will let you browse your computer to select an image. Just make sure the image is not to big, I resize my photos to 640 x 480.

Tony

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 07:05 PM
Ok I have made pictures smaller so here goes

YNOT
19th March 2011, 07:18 PM
Well you got the photo thing sorted, well done.

You can see debris stuck to the oil stain so it's been leaking for a while, definately time for a new I/C.

You should be right to keep driving it until you can organise a replacement, but avoid using heavy throttle for long periods.

Tony

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 07:24 PM
Ok thanks again (Thats at least 3 times today) we should get you knighted while the young royal is around. Any idea of intercooler prices anyone?

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 07:34 PM
Ok thanks again (Thats at least 3 times today) we should get you knighted while the young royal is around. Any idea of intercooler prices anyone?

Tony that is.

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 08:44 PM
Tony that is.

Sooooo ... nothing for BigRig ... Charming!! LOL

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 08:55 PM
Sooooo ... nothing for BigRig ... Charming!! LOL

Urm no, sorry. Did you get the DVD pal?

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 08:58 PM
Urm no, sorry. Did you get the DVD pal?

Yeah mate, sorry, completely forgot to mention it - it had no protection around it and was cracked right through one side when I received it (hence no footage from it in the video I posted). No dramas though, hopefully we didn't put you off 4wd'ing for life and there will be other occasions! lol ... you up for the trip next Sunday up to Beerburrum?

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah mate, sorry, completely forgot to mention it - it had no protection around it and was cracked right through one side when I received it (hence no footage from it in the video I posted). No dramas though, hopefully we didn't put you off 4wd'ing for life and there will be other occasions! lol ... you up for the trip next Sunday up to Beerburrum?

Possibly depending on the intercooler problem, i just found a mob in D Bay that recondition them for $575. What's it like there?

nickpeacock36
21st March 2011, 07:39 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm nice new spangley intercooler.

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 07:41 PM
good to see mate

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 07:46 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm nice new spangley intercooler.

Want to go test it out on Sunday ??? LOL

big_fletch
21st March 2011, 07:46 PM
Looks good mate, nice and shiny lol

nickpeacock36
21st March 2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks Dhuck. Will hopefully make it to Beerburrum now. Are you going?

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 08:05 PM

Bootiful if you can mate - dhuck, the rubicon, Ryan, Andrew (tbc), myself and you if you can ... will be a cracker!

nickpeacock36
21st March 2011, 08:15 PM
Want to go test it out on Sunday ??? LOL
Hope so mate, will have to check with the boss first.

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 08:17 PM
Hope so mate, will have to check with the boss first.

Good stuff - hope to see you there!

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 08:41 PM

yes mate 6 sleeps to go

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 09:27 PM
yes mate 6 sleeps to go

I love counting in sleeps! Is that childish?

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 09:30 PM
I love counting in sleeps! Is that childish?

Example - 388 sleeps till we leave for the forum meetup!!!

Dhuck
21st March 2011, 10:42 PM
nothing wrong with sleeps

Paule
11th January 2014, 04:57 PM
My intercooler looks exactly the same. Leaking in the same place.