PDA

View Full Version : Y62 rear drawer build

gregs
29th March 2015, 01:27 PM
Well here goes, the drawers are finally finished (apart from a couple of small touch up jobs). Taken me a bit to get it to this point but I am reasonably happy with the whole setup. I took this on as I didn't want to spend mega bucks on a system that I would have to modify anyway...so here it is...

The dual battery and compressor setup is included in this system as both are mounted in behind the fridge.

Bits included are ..

Base frame..
25 x 25 x 1.6mm rhs, 20 x 20 x 1.6mm rhs, a few angle brackets, scrap bits of steel I had laying around. It is bolted in using the existing seat mounting points (I used 13 in all to bolt just the base in)

Base..
18mm ply, in 2 pieces with cut outs so I can access bolts if needed. This is bolted/screwed with 6mm bolts with flat and spring washers and nyloc nuts and self drilling 30mm long metal screws. There are T nuts inserted into the timber underneath so the fridge box and drawer box can be bolted down.

Fridge box..
12mm ply, glued and screwed together with T nuts so the drawer box can be bolted through the side to help secure it in place. Offroad Systems fridge slide, this slide can take a CF40/CF50 waeco, 40CFX waeco, ARB 47L etc and the box was built so either fridge can fit , although there is not much room at the top of the ARB 47L fridge. There is 2 x 12v cig sockets, a voltmeter and an LED light with switch installed. The plastic drawer on top of the fridge is a Bunning's one (about $29). The compressor outlet is mounted on a piece of 50 x 50 x 3mm ally angle and is screwed into place. The hose running from the compressor is 8mm ensuring plenty of flow and uses press fit fittings.
The fridge box is bolted down to the main base (18mm ply) using 6mm bolts and T nuts(about 10 of them). The battery is held in by a heavy duty ratchet strap that goes though 2 heavy duty stainless saddles and these are bolted through a piece of 25 x 25 x 3mm ally angle (to stop the battery sliding about) to the main base with T nuts underneath, there is 25 x 25 x 3mm ally angle from stopping the battery sliding sideways, it has 3 x 6mm bolts and that go through to the main base also. This thing isn't going anywhere!!!!!

Drawer Box..
Dunn and Watson 227kg 1050mm drawer runners
Plenty of bolts, nuts and washers and T nuts
Aluminium angle 25 x 25 x 3mm, 50 x 50 x 3mm, 40 x 40 x 3mm and a piece of 30 x 30 x 3mm to support the front of the drawer deck as it is around 700mm wide. It is bolted down using 15 x 6mm bolts to the main base and about 8 or so 6mm bolts through to the fridge box.
The top deck of the drawer box is actually 2 pieces of 12mm ply glued and screwed together, it is screwed down around the edges with 2 1/2 and 3" timber screws. There is also a piece of ally angle underneath the top deck on the right hand side to give a little more strength and this is bolted through the side and from underneath, I had to cut a piece out of the side of the drawer to make it happen but in the end I got them in.

Wheelchair Box..yep I call this the wheelchair box as my wheelchair goes here when we travel, takes up way too much space but hey I need the bloody thing...
It is made from 12mm ply with a small top shelf, this shelf came about because I wanted to stop the wheelchair bouncing up and hitting the roof lining, it will get strapped in as well as a couple of clips at the front to clip onto the foot plate so it stops it moving about but just in case the clips break then the top shelf will stop it bouncing up. The divider was going to be a solid wall but when driving you couldn't see out the back so I made up a cargo barrier and cut a big hole in the divider to suit. The barrier is made from 20 x 20 x 1.6mm rhs and has (I think) 50 x 50 x 3mm mesh, this is bolted in using 8 x 6mm bolts through to T nuts. The whole divider setup is bolted together (as can be seen in the pics). The top shelf is accessible from the front but has no roof or door so I was thinking of just using 2" hook velcro to hold anything down in that spot (nothing will be heavy). The section in front of the divider (passenger compartment) is for our camping table and portable 120W solar panel, these will stand on their ends and will be held in with either velcro, Ocky or cam buckle straps, not too sure yet, just need to see what is easy but still safe.

I have installed a 100AH agm battery, redarc bcdc1225LV to isolate and charge the battery, I have not set this up to charge from a solar panel through the redarc I will use one on the spare Anderson plugs for this as our panel is a portable one with it's own reg. Also installed is a Bushranger Max Air III compressor, I got this one as it has it's own pressure switch on board, I like the compressor to turn itself off. I have put a cooling fan in as well to help keep it cooler when it runs for long periods, I also installed a switch to turn the compressor and fan on or off from the drivers seat.

Here are some pics...well there is a few

gregs
29th March 2015, 01:30 PM
here are some more pics

gregs
29th March 2015, 01:58 PM
yep more pics with some of the electrical stuff

gregs
29th March 2015, 02:10 PM
sorry......more pics

Winnie
29th March 2015, 02:23 PM
Don't apologise for more pics, we love pics! Nice setup too

BigRAWesty
29th March 2015, 02:34 PM
Very professional mate.
Well done

threedogs
29th March 2015, 03:18 PM
love your work Greg very neat, and agree 100% why buy something
that will need to be modified to suit your needs. I dont like drawer systems
but in your case Ill make an exception, lol

Do you have a dog that will travell on some shorter trips?
some LEDS along the bottom of the door will illuminate your work area.

Bigcol
29th March 2015, 03:53 PM
mate, if and when I do upgrade to the Y62 - can I order a set please???

awesome work, love it

Stropp
29th March 2015, 06:46 PM
Hi Greg, great job mate very very tidy and well thought out job.

krbrooking
29th March 2015, 07:01 PM
That is an amazing job mate. Well done, the baught ones wouldn't look that good.

gregs
30th March 2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, a bit of thought went into it, that's for sure, a few coffees and a couple of bourbons went into it as well :1062: I am pretty happy with the whole setup although there are some things I would do slightly differently though, like use less carpet and glue, most of the big boys who do these systems hardly use any carpet, they just paint their timber black or leave the sheet steel uncovered, I am not a fan of this but it would have been much easier and cheaper to do!!! The next thing I would change is not build the base, I would ask one of the big guys to see if they would sell me just the base so I could add my own setup to the top, the base bolted down to the floor was the hardest for me as the floor is all over the place. The pics I have seen of a Black widow set use only 4 bolts (2 on each side) and a couple of big folded steel supports to hold the whole system in place, not a real lot but it seems to do the trick though. The other thing is the runners, I would only use one locking one as it is easier to open this way, just push down on the lock and pull the drawer open with the other hand whereas mine I have to unlock both and use the little tabs to pull the drawer out, it is not hard to do but will be more of a pain if you had to open the drawer a lot. I could have used a slam lock/handle like ARB do and used normal non locking runners but it is done now so it isn't getting changed.

MEGOMONSTER
30th March 2015, 12:18 PM
Top job buddy, no way would a bought one be that good.

Clunk
30th March 2015, 05:17 PM
that's one seriously top notch build mate........... fantastic work

Rock Trol
30th March 2015, 08:22 PM
Fantastic build!!
Some really good ideas. If I where redoing mine I would also opt for the battery and compressor in the back of the wagon as you gave done.

gregs
31st March 2015, 01:33 AM
Cheers guys.

Rock Trol, this is the second set I have done with the battery and compressor in the back, the first is in our GU and still works well. It does take up a little room in the whole setup but I think it is worth it.

mullet_hunter
31st March 2015, 11:10 AM
That's art... We'll done cobber... Beautiful

LaughingBeagles
1st April 2015, 09:30 PM
Brilliant job mate. Really well done.

blocko05
22nd April 2015, 10:37 PM
one of the best DIY I have seen. Great job mate.

jay see
22nd April 2015, 11:11 PM
Top set of draws. Nice, neat and practical. Well done.

gregs
23rd April 2015, 08:41 AM
Cheers guys. I have since completed a couple of mods to the drawers, but can't add any pics at the moment as our computer is getting repaired and now I am tapping away on my tablet until it comes back.

SonOf
23rd April 2015, 09:04 AM
Brilliant job mate. The pics are great and give a good idea of how much work there was to it, more than a couple of bourons I bet.

threedogs
23rd April 2015, 10:08 AM
That is an amazing job mate. Well done, the baught ones wouldn't look that good.

Wouldn't look that good and would cost $$$$$$ more for being custom too

ashhunter
12th January 2016, 05:24 PM
Fantastic setup. thanks for sharing