PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 gq gearbox problems

brewer
17th March 2011, 09:22 AM
Just bought a 95 2.8 RX. It is slightly noisy in the gearbox bearings and will occasionally jump out of 3rd on overrun when the engine revs drop back towards idle?
Should I be worried or is it a common problem and may keep going for a while?

Ged
30th May 2011, 05:05 PM
Same problem here mate! Only difference is that it's my second gear.
Bought the aniversary (96) model 3 years ago, it had a noise in the gearbox that a mechanic said it was nothing to worry about. The Patrol had a recon gearbox 5 years ago by the previous owner. The slipping out of second gear is getting worse over the last 12 months. I am starting to worry........

TuffTD42
30th May 2011, 08:05 PM
Here's some info I came across a little while ago may help you's out.

In the top of your box you have a 3 selector rails , when you put it in a gear there is a cutout in each one of the rails , there is also a detent ball and spring in the housing when the gear is engaged the cutout meets the ball and spring when the gear is engaged and the pressure of the ball caused by the spring on the side of the cutout is what holds it into gear until you pull it out of gear by hand. The reason it jumps out when you back off is because when your under power the drive line is loaded and that's what is holding it in gear but when u back off there is no load holding it into gear. Worn syncros will cause grinding but wont cause it to jump out of gear. You will find that You may have worn selector rails, or cross your fingers it may be worn or broken springs.

TuffTD42
30th May 2011, 08:13 PM
It could also be excessive gear wear which is a result of worn needle bearings on the lay shaft. Hopefully it is just the springs.

the ferret
30th May 2011, 08:21 PM
My ol Dad told me once "What holds gears in Son, is good gears"