PDA

View Full Version : Dynamat and batteries

threedogs
11th March 2015, 12:36 PM
Has anyone used Dynamat on their battery to keep temps down a bit.
Or even have a heat shield specially made to reflect radiated heat away
or would it trap heat and defeat the pupose of fitting it in the first place

Winnie
11th March 2015, 12:44 PM
Dynamat on the battery will be no good because it won't allow airflow to the battery. A shield would work much better.
It's all about thermal dynamics.

threedogs
11th March 2015, 01:33 PM
thermal dynamics my foot . just thought if you keep the battery cool in the first place it might last longer
Good one thermal dynamic lol
what part equates to heat = energy

Maxhead
11th March 2015, 02:02 PM
Not into physics like Chrisso...LOL but I would think on short trips it could keep the heat out. On the other hand long drives the heat would soak through and not escape possibly overheating the battery.
I reckon a setup like the starter battery on my Patrol where you have a box around the battery that is vented so cool air flows around it most of the time is a winner:)

btw, E=MC2+heat dynamics

Winnie
11th March 2015, 02:50 PM
I reckon a setup like the starter battery on my Patrol where you have a box around the battery that is vented so cool air flows around it most of the time is a winner:)

btw, E=MC2+heat dynamics

You are right on two counts there =]

lucus30
11th March 2015, 03:30 PM
Make up a box around your battery and wrap it in this stuff
www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Heatshield-Material-HS1S-HR140-GTR-700mm-x-290mm.aspx?pid=121225#Recommendations

I think that would be a goer, especially if you had a gap between the box and battery

threedogs
11th March 2015, 03:35 PM
I was only thinking of doing one side , well not me but just as a general question
but I suppose it depends on what your under bonnet temps get to, as NH said after
a while most things will be the same temp

lucus30
11th March 2015, 08:28 PM
I was only thinking of doing one side , well not me but just as a general question
but I suppose it depends on what your under bonnet temps get to, as NH said after
a while most things will be the same temp

You could make up something with some angle and only do one side I guess

sooty_10
11th March 2015, 08:35 PM
I used a sheet of that heat shield stuff from supercheap to make a battery shield around three sides of my aux battery. Works a treat I believe. You might be able to make it out in these pics.