PDA

View Full Version : How does IFS IRS 4WD change your line picking while offroad?

jm2004
10th March 2015, 04:32 PM
Hi,

In my case, having "graduated" from a Pajero with IFS and IRS onto a GU Patrol last year, I found that the diff pumpkin positioning is very crucial, as I got stuck on a fallen tree log (the diff pumpkin literally sat on the log leaving me totally stuck).

I humbly admit I'm not as experienced as many of you here, however I never had to worry about diff pumpkin back with my IFS IRS vehicle (almost the entire ground clearance went up as much as the taller springs installed lifted the vehicle). But this leads me to asking you guys who have moved to Y62 (especially if from Y61), what have you realised different when going offroad?

In my Y61 now, with much longer suspension travel, I don't mind as much to opposing wheels hanging up on the air, while on the Pajero before (with very limited suspension travel) the car often feels much more like a see saw - which was rather unnerving. But next time I drive over a fallen tree log I'll probably drive straight instead of approaching it on an angle (like last time and got the diff pumpkin caught).

Anyway, hoping to learn from useful comments here.

Cheers :cheers:

Hodge
10th March 2015, 04:45 PM
My previous 4x4 was a D22 navara. IFS torsion bars front. Leafs at the back.
You nailed it on the head when you said it handles like a see-saw sometimes when hung up. That is exactly how it feels like. You really had to be pedantic at which line you pick, otherwise when one wheel is in the air (and most of the time it was due to lack of travel), you're grounded.
I haven't driven any coil front IFS to be able to comment on that.
As for the patrol, well it's a patrol. Pick a line, and onwards and upwards!

happygu
10th March 2015, 05:15 PM
Hi,

In my case, having "graduated" from a Pajero with IFS and IRS onto a GU Patrol last year, I found that the diff pumpkin positioning is very crucial, as I got stuck on a fallen tree log (the diff pumpkin literally sat on the log leaving me totally stuck).

I humbly admit I'm not as experienced as many of you here, however I never had to worry about diff pumpkin back with my IFS IRS vehicle (almost the entire ground clearance went up as much as the taller springs installed lifted the vehicle). But this leads me to asking you guys who have moved to Y62 (especially if from Y61), what have you realised different when going offroad?

In my Y61 now, with much longer suspension travel, I don't mind as much to opposing wheels hanging up on the air, while on the Pajero before (with very limited suspension travel) the car often feels much more like a see saw - which was rather unnerving. But next time I drive over a fallen tree log I'll probably drive straight instead of approaching it on an angle (like last time and got the diff pumpkin caught).

Anyway, hoping to learn from useful comments here.

Cheers :cheers:

Driving at an obstacle at a slight angle is always best ..... even in a beam axle vehicle.

You just need to look underneath and find the low points, and put your wheels as such to keep the low points from any obstacles.

BillsGU
10th March 2015, 10:49 PM
Just remember with a Patrol the front diff is in line with the driver's feet. The rear diff is in the center. Just pick your line and try to keep any high points to the left if possible.