PDA

View Full Version : Air box mods

threedogs
10th March 2015, 10:28 AM
see a few are trying to increase air flow from the air box, after doing a bit
of research I've come across this piece which will come out the top of the air box lid,
and should allow plenty of room from the bonnet

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/P547694-Air-Cleaner-Inlet-Hose-76mm-3-0in-Cobra-Style-Tight-Radius-Donaldson-/271622178742

mudnut
10th March 2015, 10:33 AM
That looks very much like the plastic equivalent of the steel cobra head that PMC had fitted to his Patrol.

threedogs
10th March 2015, 11:00 AM
Sounds right and yes its called a Cobra head, I'm going to get a lid laser cut with a 3" hole in it
and then see how the build goes from there

BTW its rubber too

Stropp
10th March 2015, 12:23 PM
i have one of them on mine, cant say i notice a lot of difference but it all helps i suppose.

threedogs
10th March 2015, 12:28 PM
i have one of them on mine, cant say i notice a lot of difference but it all helps i suppose.

Is the rest of the intake 3" rubber and/orstainless/ alloy bends etc

If anyone can find a link to this product Id be wrapt
Its a flanged 3" adaptor plate, not the best pic but you get the idea

threedogs
10th March 2015, 04:55 PM
getting a new lid cut from 316 stainless would you think 3/16 is thick enough,
it will be using the original clips to hold it in place

mudski
10th March 2015, 05:37 PM
getting a new lid cut from 316 stainless would you think 3/16 is thick enough,
it will be using the original clips to hold it in place

What about the groove for the lid seal?

mudski
10th March 2015, 05:41 PM
Is the rest of the intake 3" rubber and/orstainless/ alloy bends etc

If anyone can find a link to this product Id be wrapt
Its a flanged 3" adaptor plate, not the best pic but you get the idea

Hmm something like this John will do you nicely...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/POD-AIR-FILTER-ADAPTER-SUITS-NISSAN-200SX-MORE-/360486977734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item53eeb2c0c6 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FPOD-AIR-FILTER-ADAPTER-SUITS-NISSAN-200SX-MORE-%2F360486977734%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_15%26amp%3 Bhash%3Ditem53eeb2c0c6)

Now you need to make two of the stainless intake pipes.... ;)

threedogs
10th March 2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks but Ive skipped on that adaptor got the seal worked out just need to source the rubber ,Im sure Clarkes will have it or Rare spares
have most parts ordered, just need the lid cut.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121490993724?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This will push some air through lol

Stropp
10th March 2015, 07:49 PM
i also have the alloy airbox lid and 3" pipe to the turbo.

mudski
10th March 2015, 10:29 PM
Those cobra adaptors are made by Donaldson. Hitachi construction in Campbellfield are Donaldson agents.

mullet_hunter
10th March 2015, 11:17 PM
hpd offer that 3 inch adapter ur chasing but not cheap, at 100 bucks.. id just go with the plastic one mudski posted with a link to..

threedogs
11th March 2015, 12:25 PM
I wont require that adaptor as I'll be tig welding a piece of Stainless about 50mm to the SS lid.
Just remember I have a mate up Sapphire way that works in a big Tractor dealer ship, Ive
emailed him regardind the rubber cobra 90. Nearly have all the bits sorted, saw that guy who wanted $150 for a few bits to convert the lid
But its easier for me to cut a new lid, piece of cake to seal it.
Its a lot of mucking around I hope the gains are worth while

SG1
11th March 2015, 01:16 PM
Looks the goods, looking forward to reading your results. :D

threedogs
11th March 2015, 01:33 PM
Not sure if the out come will justify the expense, but it will look neater I hope
thinking about wrapping the boost and intake pipes in a thermal reflective bandage.
hoping that will keep gases going in cooler, even a little bit would help

Ben-e-boy
11th March 2015, 06:25 PM
I wont require that adaptor as I'll be tig welding a piece of Stainless about 50mm to the SS lid.
Just remember I have a mate up Sapphire way that works in a big Tractor dealer ship, Ive
emailed him regardind the rubber cobra 90. Nearly have all the bits sorted, saw that guy who wanted $150 for a few bits to convert the lid
But its easier for me to cut a new lid, piece of cake to seal it.
Its a lot of mucking around I hope the gains are worth while

The issue is the airbox itself, not the lid.. have you noticed when cleaning the filter that the majority of crap is concentrated right infront of the air box entry. If the airbox itself flowed well, the crap would be allround the filter.

IMHO, dont waste your time and money on a lid design. Put that towards an airbox that will actually perform.

MudRunnerTD
11th March 2015, 06:31 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261800897797

Check that link John, what you are trying to do has been available for quite a few years in kit firm

Stropp
11th March 2015, 07:36 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261800897797

Check that link John, what you are trying to do has been available for quite a few years in kit firm

that link doesnt go anywhere Darren.

SG1
11th March 2015, 07:49 PM
The issue is the airbox itself, not the lid.. have you noticed when cleaning the filter that the majority of crap is concentrated right infront of the air box entry. If the airbox itself flowed well, the crap would be allround the filter.

IMHO, dont waste your time and money on a lid design. Put that towards an airbox that will actually perform.

Not sure if that theory is correct, yes in a standard air box lid the dust particles will form in a area very noticeable to the eye, But I would also suggest this is due to the restriction from outlet, for example simple testing by blowing from a larger inlet to a smaller outlet will always concentrate the airflow into a airflow zone area which is what we see when looking at a standard airbox without mods, allow a similar sized out let to inlet for airflow and there will still be 'pressure points's' but less restricted that we see on a ZD airbox as standard, therefore should allow better breathing of air and more circulation around the air filter than what we see in a standard airbox, ie bigger inlet smaller outlet, same size inlet same outlet..or less restrictive outlet, I think you can see what I am trying to say.

Ben-e-boy
11th March 2015, 10:50 PM
Not sure if that theory is correct, yes in a standard air box lid the dust particles will form in a area very noticeable to the eye, But I would also suggest this is due to the restriction from outlet, for example simple testing by blowing from a larger inlet to a smaller outlet will always concentrate the airflow into a airflow zone area which is what we see when looking at a standard airbox without mods, allow a similar sized out let to inlet for airflow and there will still be 'pressure points's' but less restricted that we see on a ZD airbox as standard, therefore should allow better breathing of air and more circulation around the air filter than what we see in a standard airbox, ie bigger inlet smaller outlet, same size inlet same outlet..or less restrictive outlet, I think you can see what I am trying to say.

Yes mate, I do understand what you are saying, but I still stand by my comments (probably didnt word it so well), there are some good airbox setups on the market that will way out perform the zd30 configuration, modified or not.

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2015, 01:18 AM
that link doesnt go anywhere Darren.

Try this one

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/261800897797?nav=SEARCH

BigRAWesty
12th March 2015, 07:24 AM
Yes mate, I do understand what you are saying, but I still stand by my comments (probably didnt word it so well), there are some good airbox setups on the market that will way out perform the zd30 configuration, modified or not. Cheers
Benny, delete Se pm's....

BigRAWesty
12th March 2015, 08:32 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121490993724?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT This will push some air through lol

Surly someone is taking the piss.
Or its aimed at a moped...

threedogs
12th March 2015, 08:32 AM
@ MR $400 for a $36 piece of rubber I'm making a new lid "cause I can" to save some $$$$$.
Understand what you're saying Ben , so why are ppl buy a Crap alloy air box that delivers air the same as an OE box.
Its good with all the attention now, I have seen enclosed "POD" style filters,
that are straight through, with a Kevlar appearance.

The new lid is to allow for a 3" intake, I'll have a spare MAF housing soon I hope to modify so it fits a piece of 3" piping.
As I said before not sure this will make any big differnce performance wise, but hope it delivers more air in a more
efficient way.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALUMINUM-IN-LINE-AIR-BOX-POD-FILTER-3-INLET-/181614577987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a49128943

I would think a round filter housing would be the way to go,,, I'll go see some of my
mates with the high output toys and see what they say or come up with

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ASH-Carbon-Fibre-Airbox-Performance-Air-Filter-to-Suit-NISSAN-PATROL-/261438795735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cdef76fd7

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Inch-Alloy-Airbox-Nissan-Patrol-Hilux-Landcruiser-80-Skyline-Pod-Filter-/331322577134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d245d50ee

Plenty of ppl out there who want your money

Robo
12th March 2015, 11:26 AM
It looks good the rubber/plastic cobra adapter, except for 3 things.
Sharp bend, air has to negotiate , coming out of box creating flow issues.
2, shape changes twice , added turbulence and further restriction.
3 the sharp corners "bellow area" within the short length create further turbulence.

I just can't see how this will help, other than shifting the air boxes oem restrictive outlet.
m2cw

threedogs
12th March 2015, 11:31 AM
I'm hoping to use 3" all they way to the turbo from the top of the air cleaner box using 3" stainless fittings
Somehow I'll incorperate the OE MAF housing into the 3" piping,
that cobra head is only if you have no room . I''l put up a pic of what I think it'll look like
It there are no gains how come there are heaps of PPL doing this mod,lol and I mean heaps
plus all the aftermarket gear you can buy to acheive the same thing I'm doing

Robo
12th March 2015, 12:48 PM
yes it does address the issue of up sizing dia "in the given space using the std airbox".
but imo that is all.

bends and changing shape in a very short distance creating its own problems.
and that's the trade off, cobra head addressed the 3" issue but created another,
oh and simply moved the oem air box flaw down the line further.

Increasing dia all the way to turbo with "minium bends & restriction" etc is the better option.
In doing this is where you will notice a good result, yes.
I was simply pointing out its set backs, money could be wasted, if your chasing the best result possible.
Hope I've better explained m2cw

threedogs
12th March 2015, 01:21 PM
Alls good the more imput the better, the first 3" 90 is set into the lid then a 45 and then another 90 down to the turbo.
Could do the lot all tigged with the MAF sensor housing incorperated into it at about where it is now.
Bit that gets me is they say the OE airbox supports so many KW but fitting the stainless steel lid and 3" cobra head it will support more KW
So is their theory more air more KWs can be put into the motor

mudski
12th March 2015, 06:07 PM
It looks good the rubber/plastic cobra adapter, except for 3 things.
Sharp bend, air has to negotiate , coming out of box creating flow issues.
2, shape changes twice , added turbulence and further restriction.
3 the sharp corners "bellow area" within the short length create further turbulence.

I just can't see how this will help, other than shifting the air boxes oem restrictive outlet.
m2cw

The OEM convoluted tubing is enough to create plenty of turbulence. Even if you were to go the same size but eliminate the convoluted tubing, it would make a difference.

mullet_hunter
13th March 2015, 01:03 AM
I think there will be pretty good gains wiv what ur wanting to archive with ur intended mods to airbox.. Not a zd30 but I'm pretty sure this is what u want.. 3 inch streight frm airbox lid to turbo but with the the original maf housing modified to be part of that particular intake system... Keep up the good work and let us knw how u go.. Cheers mullet..

threedogs
13th March 2015, 09:04 AM
I think there will be pretty good gains wiv what ur wanting to archive with ur intended mods to airbox.. Not a zd30 but I'm pretty sure this is what u want.. 3 inch streight frm airbox lid to turbo but with the the original maf housing modified to be part of that particular intake system... Keep up the good work and let us knw how u go.. Cheers mullet..

You hit the nail on the head ,not bad for a chippy lol
That original photo shows all he's done is replace the OE tubing with 63mm,
looks neat IMO

Can someone explain why the billet HPD MAF sensor is better than the OE,
I can understand a larger throttle body, Please explain,,,,,,,,,,,

mudski
13th March 2015, 11:28 AM
Can someone explain why the billet HPD MAF sensor is better than the OE,
I can understand a larger throttle body, Please explain,,,,,,,,,,,
I'll try to explain the best I can here....
The slightly larger I.D allows more air to pass over the MAF. The MAF has a sensor plate which heats up from power running through it, more throttle = more power, and gets cooled by the air passing over it. I don't know how to explain it technically as I'm not auto sparky, but the heat produced on the plate gets converted into voltage (or something along the lines of that) and is read by the ecu. If this voltage goes over a certain limit, you see limp mode. So having a larger I.D housing, allows more air to pass over the MAF at the same throttle rate.
So say if there was 200cfm of air going over the maf at 3000rpm with the stock housing. With the larger i.d at 3000rpm there would be 250cfm of air. (those figures aren't actual...) So more air at the same throttle response.

threedogs
13th March 2015, 12:16 PM
Stock intake is only 63mm I think so if thats right an OE MAF housing might be say 55mm the HPD is now equal to
the OE piping at 63mm, [for comparison only]so the HPD is equal to the OE piping, there abouts
That being the case if I fit a MAF housing in a 63mm or 76mm pipe for that matter then I've acheived the same thing.
I propose putting the MAF about where the OE one is.
I think when volts reach 4 volts on the MAF you'll hit limp mode

Surely this HPD MAF housing on its own cant do much
its only 50mm long and you're using the existing plumbing
you either need to up grade the OE piping or go bigger again like I want to.
To Mark and MH can you say your Patrol goes faster/better because of this mod.

mudski
13th March 2015, 08:26 PM
Stock intake is only 63mm I think so if thats right an OE MAF housing might be say 55mm the HPD is now equal to
the OE piping at 63mm, [for comparison only]so the HPD is equal to the OE piping, there abouts
That being the case if I fit a MAF housing in a 63mm or 76mm pipe for that matter then I've acheived the same thing.
I propose putting the MAF about where the OE one is.
I think when volts reach 4 volts on the MAF you'll hit limp mode

Surely this HPD MAF housing on its own cant do much
its only 50mm long and you're using the existing plumbing
you either need to up grade the OE piping or go bigger again like I want to.
To Mark and MH can you say your Patrol goes faster/better because of this mod.

Dr Gary had issues and he went out and bought the HPD maf housing and he's loving it now. It's proven this housing does what it's designed too. As for your question John. If you just put this housing in and do nothing, you won't see jack chit in performance. It's only when you start to raise the boost you will find you won't see limp mode. This is what this housing is designed for. Don't get it confused with bolt on performance, where you install it and then go wow. It's only designed to eradicate limp mode issues.

mullet_hunter
13th March 2015, 09:01 PM
Dr Gary had issues and he went out and bought the HPD maf housing and he's loving it now. It's proven this housing does what it's designed too. As for your question John. If you just put this housing in and do nothing, you won't see jack chit in performance. It's only when you start to raise the boost you will find you won't see limp mode. This is what this housing is designed for. Don't get it confused with bolt on performance, where you install it and then go wow. It's only designed to eradicate limp mode issues.

Well said.. its not like a bolt on extra hp mod.. it allows u to run higher boost levels with out limp mode.. ie u can run double factory boost which means lower egts and higher performance through out rev range.. mine pulls hrd in 3rd and i can see upto 28 psi on the gauge... but im pretty sure ur intended mods will see similar results.. cheers mullet

threedogs
14th March 2015, 09:51 AM
just find it strange thats all When the MAF holder arrives from MH I'll measure the inside diameter.
Whats the inside diam. of the HPD unit ??
Just saying as you only get more air over the width of the HPD unit
before that air is travelling through OE size piping
and after is OE size piping, so if that was the case if I could increase
the diam of the OE maf housing I've acheived the same thing.
Also do you use the OE MAF sensor or do HPD supply one

found a length of exhaust bandage [new] in my shed so decided to bandage up the boost hose for the IC
maybe it will keep the incoming temps to the IC down a bit.
Held it in place with some stainless steel "cable ties"

@ mudski cause of my set up I dont think it will hit limp mode,

mudski
14th March 2015, 03:01 PM
HPD maf housing dont come with a maf.... Your current setup John, don't bother with the Larger maf housing. You wont achieve anything apart from wasted time. Just concentrate on the pipe to the turbo.

threedogs
14th March 2015, 04:05 PM
If I can incorperate an OE MAF into a larger diameter Pipe it should do the same as the HPD unit.
I have two options one is 63mm back to the OE MAF which is easy enough to do.
Option 2 is new lid and run 3" and reduce to 63mm at the turbo end,with the MAF in the 3" pipe
What the heck I'll do both and see what makes the difference if any

threedogs
15th March 2015, 08:19 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301560290704?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This mesh looks very restrictive on the OE air box lid [see link], plus I think there is another on the MAF housing
removing that would allow heaps more air in.

paulyg
15th March 2015, 09:32 AM
I have removed those mesh screens and I have a HPD maf housing, it does what they claim.
But remember it will lower your maf voltage a little bit, so you may loose performance if you don't retune.

threedogs
15th March 2015, 10:53 AM
Did you do both together , that is remove the mesh plates and fit the HPD at the same time?
If thats the case that would be a huge increase in air flow, and you compensated that with extra boost?
On that thinking removing the mesh and replacing the OE hoses should see some gains as well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-HI-FLOW-ZD30-AIRBOX-SUIT-TURBO-V8-GQ-GU/191532696478?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D5b33675bdb944c08917 7df72371f7e7a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D231500722191&rt=nc
If funds allowed this would save a lot of work and looks very well built

threedogs
15th March 2015, 03:47 PM
Go figure you can buy the bit Im making

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Patrol-GU-ZD30-turbo-Intake-Induction-pipe-UPGRADE-Performance-BLACK-/121588370728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c4f3b4d28

check out the shop must be new

mudski
15th March 2015, 03:58 PM
Go figure you can buy the bit Im making

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Patrol-GU-ZD30-turbo-Intake-Induction-pipe-UPGRADE-Performance-BLACK-/121588370728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c4f3b4d28

check out the shop must be new

I spoke to these guys about this six months ago. They said they had one they were designing.

threedogs
15th March 2015, 04:16 PM
mine is about 1/4 of the price and will do the same thing Im hoping
They should also do alloy IC piping kits

mudski
15th March 2015, 11:26 PM
mine is about 1/4 of the price and will do the same thing Im hoping
They should also do alloy IC piping kits

Looking at what they have made I would rather it made in alloy or stainless myself.

threedogs
16th March 2015, 09:50 AM
I'm going for a fully tigged stainless number,
bummer as it might be wrapped not sure yet

threedogs
17th March 2015, 12:39 PM
Measured up the OE MAF outlet and its 80mm, and heres me thinking 76mm would be way to big.
luckily I have a heap of 76mm stainless to fabricate the inlet pipe out of. will now need to measure where the hose goes into the turbo.
Im sure the 76mm is bigger than the convoluted hosing they use as OE.
Need all my bits to arrive so I can assemble and test fit.

Found some 3.25" x 3" reducers

threedogs
2nd April 2015, 05:21 PM
Has anyone upped the size of the steel boost pipes on there ZD30.

Nearly have all the gear need for the air intake from the airbox to the turbo.
it goes from 80mm at the air box to 50mm at the turbo, good thing is I can do the lot gradually reduced
out of stainless steel, I'll then wrap it to try to keep incoming air cool.
Found a mob in the States that make Hi flow MAF housings seems the Audi ,VW, Volvo and Opel
use a very similar style MAF, these units are 76mm thats bigger than the HPD unit but not by much.
plus cheaper too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251793087329?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ben-e-boy
2nd April 2015, 06:51 PM
Can you do a before and after dyno run?

threedogs
3rd April 2015, 05:41 PM
yeah I'll try, Ive been able to source all the fittings in stainless, .so it should be all smooth running from
76 at the MAF housing right down to 50mm at the turbo, using one 45 in 76mm and a 90 elbow long radius
in 63mm Ill need to tig an elbow in to it to run a line in AN8 the catch can, and braided as well,
Probably end up wrapping it to keep it cooler, might be interesting to see the figures though not huge lol
There is a pipe under the airbox I need to figure out if its required or not, nearly there

threedogs
4th April 2015, 09:14 AM
Has any one changed the OE steel pipes on the Di motor.
looks like a few gains can be had there as well from upsizing
the pipe diam a tad and possibly wrapping it

threedogs
6th April 2015, 08:49 AM
For anyone in the know, the OE intake piping is about say 70mm all the way then reduces to 50mm at the turbo.
Which will be most efficient running 76mm all the way then reducing it to 50mm or
Gradually reduce it from 76mm to 63mm to 50mm,
I will be making it from stainless steel and tig welded, not convoluted like the OE.
Im using a VW passat 76mm Maf housing as the VW uses the same maf as the Patrol.

mjr350
6th April 2015, 09:00 AM
Does the actual MAF sensor have to be matched to the inside diameter of the housing to get the correct reading or doesn't it work that way?

threedogs
6th April 2015, 09:13 AM
from what i can gather the answer is no
HPD do a billet housing that is claimed 30% bigger
and uses the OE MAF , as I asked Mudski.
A few posts back Mark explained it a bit

EDIT ;; plus i have a snorkle fitted

SG1
6th April 2015, 03:36 PM
Hmm, I think it does have to be very similar sized piping, remember your stock maf housing slightly reduces in size where the MAF sit inside the piping to speed up the air flow over the maf sensor, the HPD actually is slightly larger in that same area where the MAF sensor sits in the piping(it is honed out slightly where the MAF sensor sits, allowing more air past the maf sensor and slowing the air going past as well), if anything the HPD maf housing could do with being just a little smaller in that area, it is not 30% bigger BUT allows up to 30% more airflow past the MAF sensor tricking it..

Ideally imo the HPD maf housing could do with only allowing 15%-20% or so more airflow past the maf sensor but if you have a chip it can be used to allow more fuel and get a good air fuel mix going and achieve what your aiming for.

threedogs
6th April 2015, 05:00 PM
Going to change in intake pipe first going from 76mm tapered down to 50mm
That alone may increase air flow, and yes I have a DP chip fitted. Then I will
increase the MAF housing if nothing has happened.

threedogs
9th April 2015, 03:04 PM
Well most of my intake has arrived , need to go to see a guy about the best [most efficient] way to go.
1. 76mm all the way reduced at the turbo to 50mm
2. 76 again and gradually size it down to 63 then 50mm at the turbo
3. is to run 63mm all the way and reduce at the turbo to 50 mm.
Must admit polished stainless looks awesome , plus most of the t bolt hose clamps
arrived too and some special size silicon hose

threedogs
13th April 2015, 10:42 AM
Laser cutter is cutting me an air box lid out of stainless steel
to which Ill tig weld a 76mm stainless elbow, getting there>
In the end Ill have a few combo's to try for the best efficiency
Hopefully it'll all arrive this week

Just found a nice piece of 6mm stainlees in my shed Perfect for a lid.

threedogs
14th April 2015, 05:35 PM
can anyone tell me about the catch can line that goes into the intake hose after the MAF.
is this just recycling fumes from the catch can
the other line goes to the rocker cover
Can it be eliminated and use a tee from catch can to rocker?

Dinger
14th April 2015, 07:51 PM
Where are you going to send the outlet hose from the catch can?

nissannewby
14th April 2015, 09:13 PM
Well most of my intake has arrived , need to go to see a guy about the best [most efficient] way to go.
1. 76mm all the way reduced at the turbo to 50mm
2. 76 again and gradually size it down to 63 then 50mm at the turbo
3. is to run 63mm all the way and reduce at the turbo to 50 mm.
Must admit polished stainless looks awesome , plus most of the t bolt hose clamps
arrived too and some special size silicon hose

Option 1 everyday of the week. Keep the pipe as big as you can right up to the turbo.

nissannewby
14th April 2015, 09:15 PM
can anyone tell me about the catch can line that goes into the intake hose after the MAF.
is this just recycling fumes from the catch can
the other line goes to the rocker cover
Can it be eliminated and use a tee from catch can to rocker?

You can eliminate and just vent the hose that went into the pipe just after the maf to atmosphere. It is a pollution device though so it should return to a low pressure area.

threedogs
15th April 2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks Matt I was going to cap it at the catch can,
Was just down talking to Andrew at On Track, he thinks the theory is right
but what gains I get may be minimal, I do need to buy a Hump hose which I did.
I think in the end Id be happy with a small boost gain,to keep EGT down, plus it looks neater lol
Minimal gains but more efficiency I'll take that

nissannewby
15th April 2015, 10:44 AM
You cant cap it at the catch can. The vent line from your rocker cover needs to able to breathe. If you cap the catch can then thw crankcase will pressurise and cause all sorts of dramas.

So what you can do is have your hose from the rocker cover go into your catch can then on the outlet of your catch can just run a length of hose into your chassis rail leaving it open on the end.

threedogs
15th April 2015, 12:53 PM
Cool thanks again , now to source some larger IC boost pipes.
they increase in Diam at the IC, they could also be wrapped to keep temps down too
this will replace my OE IC piping

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/90-degree-60mm-2-36-Aluminum-Turbo-Intercooler-tube-Pipe-silicon-hose-RD-clamp-/231210862025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35d53dc5c9
For anyone up sizing the pipes they will need 60mm

threedogs
15th April 2015, 05:41 PM
You can eliminate and just vent the hose that went into the pipe just after the maf to atmosphere. It is a pollution device though so it should return to a low pressure area.

had a bit of a think and want it to look the part so
Im going to tig weld a fitting into one of the Stainless elbows
I have some AN 10 braided hose to pretty it up with the right terminals

Paule
15th April 2015, 06:17 PM
Hmm, I think it does have to be very similar sized piping, remember your stock maf housing slightly reduces in size where the MAF sit inside the piping to speed up the air flow over the maf sensor, the HPD actually is slightly larger in that same area where the MAF sensor sits in the piping(it is honed out slightly where the MAF sensor sits, allowing more air past the maf sensor and slowing the air going past as well), if anything the HPD maf housing could do with being just a little smaller in that area, it is not 30% bigger BUT allows up to 30% more airflow past the MAF sensor tricking it..

Ideally imo the HPD maf housing could do with only allowing 15%-20% or so more airflow past the maf sensor but if you have a chip it can be used to allow more fuel and get a good air fuel mix going and achieve what your aiming for.

Taking this into account I removed my maf housing and measured it up yesterday, the ID has a 2.5mm tapper in it with it being larger on the in going side. So I chucked it in the lathe and removed the taper. To try and slow the airspeed over the maf as I could only get 14psi, with moderate spool up, before getting limp mode. First thing I noticed was how much smoother it is at idle.(my passenger side airbag used to vibrate). I have uped my boost to 16psi now and have had limp mode once since. I'm gunner take another .5mm out on Monday and see how it go's. Is the hpd housing I'd straight through or tapered?

Dinger
15th April 2015, 06:31 PM
Taking this into account I removed my maf housing and measured it up yesterday, the ID has a 2.5mm tapper in it with it being larger on the in going side. So I chucked it in the lathe and removed the taper. To try and slow the airspeed over the maf as I could only get 14psi, with moderate spool up, before getting limp mode. First thing I noticed was how much smoother it is at idle.(my passenger side airbag used to vibrate). I have uped my boost to 16psi now and have had limp mode once since. I'm gunner take another .5mm out on Monday and see how it go's. Is the hpd housing I'd straight through or tapered?

From looking at mine I think it was straight through the taper is on the outside. The area where the MAF is located is thicker. I can check mine on Friday if you need exact.
I am running 17psi now with no issues.
How did the stainless end up?

SG1
15th April 2015, 06:56 PM

Good work, basically that's all the HPD Maf housing is, BUT has slightly larger where the MAF sits, if I was to do it again I would do exactly as your doing and just hone the original MAF housing ever so slightly, not as much as the HPD, but admit since installing the HPD maf housing and air box lid have not had limp mode once but needed a chip to put more fuel in, on a side note I have tried several different psi rating from 14 which was all I could get max before mods to 20 psi and have found that by my gauge 16.5 psi is perfect and has really good smooth power gains with egts in the low 300's at 100k's now, much better than before.

Dinger
17th April 2015, 10:33 PM
I have had the same results as SG1.
Zero incidents of limp mode both towing and not.
As I said earlier max boost is 17psi, 10 psi at 100 km/H and EGTs 250c

threedogs
18th April 2015, 03:52 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-0-OD-76mm-OD-x-6-VW-MAF-Housing-MK3-Jetta-Golf-Passat-Audi-Ford-Volvo-/251913143506?hash=item3aa73184d2
If you cut the air box this maf housing will fit with a piece of 76mm silicone hose.
Then source the stainless and hoses to complete, Mine will have an elbow
tigged into the 45 elbow for catch can fumes

Just waiting on some more t-bolt clamps to arrive and Ill be fitting it
My new airbox lid should be cut next week hopefully

@ Paule how much you think MAX can be skimmed off the MAF housing
1.5mm max

Paule
19th April 2015, 12:38 PM
Yeah TD I think you could open the ID up to 74mm no worries as the OD is 80mm. I just think 74mm ID is too much and will affect your low down performance.

Paule
19th April 2015, 01:42 PM
From looking at mine I think it was straight through the taper is on the outside. The area where the MAF is located is thicker. I can check mine on Friday if you need exact.
I am running 17psi now with no issues.
How did the stainless end up?

Hey Dinger did you get the exact dimensions from you hpd maf housing on Friday? I'm thinking of just opening up the area the maf sits in. So 72.5mm inlet, 73mm where the maf sits. (maybe more but I'm just going a little bit at a time) 72.5 out let

threedogs
20th April 2015, 03:21 PM
Once I've fit it all up and it runs ok I'll put links to all components needed to complete for yourself.
Cost wise its about $100 no more, and that's for the
stainless elbow, 45, silicone hoses and T-bolt clamps,
most is easy to do, except the hole for the catch can hose.

Not sure you'll be taking much material from the OE MAF housing it has very thin walls.

Dinger
21st April 2015, 09:57 PM
Hey Dinger did you get the exact dimensions from you hpd maf housing on Friday? I'm thinking of just opening up the area the maf sits in. So 72.5mm inlet, 73mm where the maf sits. (maybe more but I'm just going a little bit at a time) 72.5 out let

Sorry guys I didn't get the info for you.
If either of you still need it I can get it later in the week once the weather clears the rig doesn't fit in the garage.

threedogs
24th April 2015, 01:52 PM
This will be my plan "B" the 76,, elbow will be tig welded to the plate,
after I have shaped it to suit the air box, but looking at my intake I dont think it will be neccessary

I may use the airbox lid with the OE maf as I think I'll have plenty of "EXTRA" air flow

threedogs
24th April 2015, 04:38 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HPD-NISSAN-PATROL-GU-TD42-AIR-BOX-LID-1999-2007-Model-AB-GU-HFTD42-/281357724999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item41823a2d47

Can someone explain why this would work better than an OE lid????
Low radius elbow cant see how it can "flow" better
Still like my lid better so far , thats if it works,, lol

I think I can source an OE lid and glue the 76mm elbow to it,
that will make it the same as those $450 jobs,,,,,,,, well similar

Edit,,,,,, all my 76mm and 50mm T bolt clamps have arrived,
or constant pressure. Also my 3/8th M/F stainless steel elbow arrived so I'll get that
tig welded in for catch can fumes, I could vent it to atmosphere but
back through the motor is fine, and will add a bit of detail to the new intake pipe
The catch can lines will be AN10 braided hose with black hose ends

threedogs
28th April 2015, 11:33 AM
Nearly there just need to tig weld that elbow, I have two different 76mm 90 degree elbows to use .
One is a short radius as pitcured the other is a long radius, hopefully fit it on the week end

gaddy
28th April 2015, 11:48 AM
Are you going to do a before and after dyno run , I reckon it would be good if you could , to give people a accurate idea if this is a worthwhile modification for dollers spent vrs results ?

mudski
28th April 2015, 12:09 PM
Are you going to do a before and after dyno run , I reckon it would be good if you could , to give people a accurate idea if this is a worthwhile modification for dollers spent vrs results ?

Then he's gonna make one for me.:D

threedogs
28th April 2015, 12:42 PM
Then he's gonna make one for me.:D

I dont have funds for multiple Dyno runs, wish I did.
I will also be changing the rear IC pipe which I think is less than 55mm
and enlarges to 60mm, more air in plus Ill be using gold tape on some pipes to try to keep the heat down.
FYI my DP chip is set on 5 atm, max boost is about 20psi, we will see eh.

threedogs
28th April 2015, 01:33 PM
will look better when its tigged and all tightened up.
braided hose is cheap enough these days this is AN10
the hose ends will be black when all is finished
braided hose goes to the catch can

threedogs
1st May 2015, 12:02 PM
All tigged ready to fit,
will fit it up over the week end.
The 60mm pipe to the intercooler will remain the same
diam. no point increasing it .

mudski
1st May 2015, 12:06 PM
What time you want me over so you can fit it up on my car mate?

threedogs
6th May 2015, 02:09 PM
From what I gather of the outlet of Turbo for boost is 48mm to 60mm at the IC
some how I'll change the piping to allow more air in, but that may lower boost levels
will need to consult on that one

mudski
7th May 2015, 02:51 PM
Is it on yet John?

threedogs
7th May 2015, 03:01 PM
Not yet Mark waiting on some AN10 hose end fittings to arrive, I'll do it either at On Track or TJM Airport West.
In case I need something.

My Gold heat reflective tape arrived I'll be taping the IC tanks and the pipe going to the IC,
hoping to lower in coming air temp a bit. Could use gold leaf but might look too decadent lol
Hopefully the clamps will arrive tomorrow they are about due.

Loving the reflective gold tape, hoping it works as its not cheap

threedogs
8th May 2015, 02:40 PM
My AN 10 hose fittings have arrived for the catch can hoses.[braided AN10]
chances are I'll fit it up tomorrow. As luck would have it I will
be doing a Demo of my Spare Wheel hoist at a 4x4 shop.
Ah life is good ATM

blocko05
19th September 2015, 11:07 PM
How did you go fitting it TD. did it all go well for you. were the results what you wanted