PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on the forum

AB
16th March 2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Folks,

I have been approached by an Automotive advertising firm who would like to place some small thin advertisements on the forum. They only show advertisements in the automotive industry such as Castrol, Ryco and car care products, etc. I will not allow any Toyota adds on here though...lol

This will give money back to the forum that is needed to function and maintain.

I hope that this doesn't annoy anyone and if it does then please let me know.

The placements of the advert are a small 728px x 98px in the header (below the red and grey divider bar at the top) and one at the very bottom of the page to replace the Google Adsense advertisement anyway.

Hope you can all understand and accept the advertisement and let me know if there are any problems.

It may not go ahead but thought I would let you all know rather then just putting up these ads one day.

Bob
16th March 2011, 04:29 PM
go for it .......

NissanGQ4.2
16th March 2011, 04:37 PM
do what you need 2 do AB, if it helps the forum in anyway I'm all 4 it ( just remember 2 find the original GQ manual first before getting side tracked in other projects! ) *LMAO*

AB
16th March 2011, 04:39 PM
lol...Ill check again tonight mate...Just checked at work and no luck either.

growler2058
16th March 2011, 04:40 PM
No hassle from this side of the screen

the ferret
16th March 2011, 04:44 PM
Yep, Goodo Andy, grab the money mate!!

daccers
16th March 2011, 04:57 PM
yeah go for it! There has to be a reward for all the time and sweat put into making the forum function!!

Spock
16th March 2011, 05:01 PM
I will not allow any Toyota adds on here though...lol

What about Range Rover adds..... ROFLMAO

Bob
16th March 2011, 05:03 PM

If you are trying to Build up your Posts Keep it Clean

Dhuck
16th March 2011, 05:06 PM
Go for it Andy. I know what a hit in the pocket it can be paying out server fees and what not.

YNOT
16th March 2011, 05:26 PM
Go for it Andy. A lot of us have more than one car anyway so it's not irrelavent to put an ad up from another car company......as long as it's not Toyota as you said.

Tony

katwoman
16th March 2011, 06:46 PM
I agree, you cant go anywhere without advertising these days. It's just a part of life now.

wildgu6
16th March 2011, 07:14 PM
All good here Andy, Useful products as well, could remind a few of us to get onto servicing our Trols.
Anything that helps this site along has to be good. Stay strong on the Tojo adds mate......LOL

Clunk
16th March 2011, 07:21 PM
All good from over here mate............ what needs to be done needs to be done, go for it.

nowoolies
16th March 2011, 07:21 PM
go for it mate bloody good idea!!!!!!!!

big_fletch
16th March 2011, 08:27 PM
Go for it AB, if it helps the forum mate who are we to object

Bigrig
16th March 2011, 08:32 PM
Yep - bang it up!!

AB
16th March 2011, 08:58 PM
Just uploaded the codes now so you should see an example of the advertising firm now.

Thanks for all your support guys and girls..

I'll have to somehow centre that logo..lol...Cheers again!

Woof
16th March 2011, 09:16 PM
Great news AB, the more advertising we get the better in my opinion, why should the costs for running this forum come out of your pocket now, you did all the hard work to get this forum up and running and now it is time that it paid for itself.
But don't forget that if you need to raise some extra money to keep it going WE ARE ALL HERE TO SUPPORT YOU MATE.:bigthumbup:

AB
16th March 2011, 09:22 PM
Cheers mate, but this should cover the costs and if its ongoing then it will cover the costs ongoing too.

Finly Owner
16th March 2011, 11:22 PM
Bloody hell AB, what the hell are you doing? Why ask for our permission? You are the administrator, financier, and therefore the largest stakeholder here! You do what helps you and your family out financially. And isn't About time we passed the hat around again members? PM me your a/c details again, and I'll throw in a small donation again to start it off.

Its about time AB you realised we love this place, but we don't like seeing you worry about the how to pay to keep this thing running out of your own pocket!!!!!

Tim.

Yes I'm being serious here and trying hard not to yell. Sometimes giving needs to allow some taking!

nowoolies
16th March 2011, 11:58 PM

who is this person spock ?????????
and what is a range rover???? find it at deep space 9 lmao

xtreme patrol
17th March 2011, 01:22 AM
I say go for it andy its not that i see them anyway cause im running Firefox with Adblock plus .... but if ya need to click on them to make a buck id be happy to do that for ya

Maxhead
17th March 2011, 06:48 PM
Definitely go for it mate, anything(well..nearly) to support the forum!

timbar
17th March 2011, 07:47 PM
Advertising on the forum ???????? Thats an INSANELY BRILLIANT IDEA .........GO NUTS .....DO IT ....DO IT .....DO IT...........

Maxhead
27th March 2011, 02:45 PM
Hey AB, I'm trying to use the forum "Community" drop down tab but it drops down behind the advertising and I can't see the selection I need to make. Any way of having the drop down in front of the ad?

I just tried it on my end and seems to be working OK

Maxhead
27th March 2011, 03:04 PM
Which browser are you using?

Are "forum actions" and "quick links" behind the ad as well

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2011, 03:44 PM
Hey AB, I'm trying to use the forum "Community" drop down tab but it drops down behind the advertising and I can't see the selection I need to make. Any way of having the drop down in front of the ad?

Just tried it in firefox and internet explorer, work fine in both, the drop downs for all tabs appear in front of the ad

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2011, 03:47 PM
Hey plassy, was it an actual advert banner or just the go2space banner??????

Maxhead
27th March 2011, 03:52 PM
Yep all tabs are behind the ad.

Don't know what browser i'm using, I'm a dunce with these things. I use Internet Explorer but it's got a Bing search engine (hate it, how do i get rid of it??) and I also had google chrome but didn't like it so someone deleted it for me. So I really have no idea what I'm doing! haha!

Have you tries restarting the browser and/or pc?

here's a couple links for changing search engines
For IE - http://websearch.about.com/od/searchtipoftheday/qt/qt429.htm
For IE7 - http://www.askdavetaylor.com/change_the_default_search_engine_in_internet_explo rer_7_ie7.html

Maxhead
27th March 2011, 03:55 PM
Could also try resetting all settings to default just incase something got changed - http://www.ehow.com/how_2101019_restore-internet-explorer-default-settings.html

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah the go2space banner. Isn't that an ad? i've never clicked on it.

no ad, its just the space where the ad will be going, i have only seen the ads after clicking on new posts......not sure why that haven't appeared elsewhere yet, maybe Andy still needs 2 code it in.

Maxhead
27th March 2011, 04:46 PM
I'll try one of those links to change the search engine but not sure if that'll do anything.

Did I tell you I hate computers?

That won't fix it but will give you google or other search engine. better than that bing crap.

Not really sure whats going on mate.......I'll keep thinking

Maxhead
27th March 2011, 04:47 PM
Success! I downloaded google chrome again and it now works properly. Thanks for your help fellas!

PS - I still hate computers.

Good stuff mate. I've been using chrome for ages and would't go back to anything else

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2011, 05:01 PM
Good stuff mate. I've been using chrome for ages and would't go back to anything else

I like chrome as well due 2 it been open source software, but i do prefer 2 use firefox. Internet Explorer is crap and I will only use it for testing purposes.

P.s: Glad you got it sorted Plassy

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah I like open source software too.

PS - what's open source software? haha!!
The Open Source Definition

Introduction

Open source doesn't just mean access to the source code. The distribution terms of open-source software must comply with the following criteria:

1. Free Redistribution

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

2. Source Code

The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form. Where some form of a product is not distributed with source code, there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost preferably, downloading via the Internet without charge. The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator are not allowed.

3. Derived Works

The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software.

4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code

The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from modified source code. The license may require derived works to carry a different name or version number from the original software.

5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups

The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.

6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

7. Distribution of License

The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program is redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by those parties.

8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product

The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution.

9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software

The license must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium must be open-source software.

10. License Must Be Technology-Neutral

No provision of the license may be predicated on any individual technology or style of interface.

Does that help *LMAO*

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2011, 06:59 PM
Keh?? Not even gonna bother! lmao

I should of given you this link first, much easier 2 understand

http://oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/perens.html

AB
27th March 2011, 07:41 PM
Thats bizzar Plassy as any drop down menus or anything you click on will take priority over the banner.

The Go2space is just the company who is going to run the ads. We're still trying out the codes and changing things around which is doing my head in as It's very confusing doign PHP scripts and trying to change code in this forum.