PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing GQ manual hubs into GU

tallman
7th March 2015, 06:59 PM
Need some help please... bought a set of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/181172550518?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true and I am having trouble fitting them...

I just replaced rotors and wheel bearing now I'm trying to fit these manual GQ hubs to my GU.
I have the spacer ring inserted all the way into the wheel hub and with the bushing ring and drive gear fitted I cant see the groove for the snap ring and the end of the axle...I think its a matter of 2 or 3 mm from being exposed..any ideas.

MudRunnerTD
7th March 2015, 07:04 PM
Yep you have a seal in backwards. Strip it all out. I bet the brass bush on the CV is on backwards

tallman
7th March 2015, 07:27 PM
Hi MudRunnerTD, which seal are you referring to? the only seal I installed was at back of rotor, also I never touched a brass bush or the cv?

the evil twin
7th March 2015, 07:38 PM
... not 100% sure what you mean but if it is what I think your getting at;
Just check that the axle hasn't "floated' back in a couple of mm.
IE can you pull the axle forward enough to expose the circlip groove?

tallman
7th March 2015, 08:53 PM
Tried to pull axle out a bit further but it hardly moves, maybe 1mm.

MudRunnerTD
7th March 2015, 09:46 PM
Take everything off that you have put on. There is a brass bush which is the last thing on the axle which may be in the wrong way. This is a common problem. Something will be in wrong or not seated right. As ET stated grab a pair of multi grips And pull the end of the axle out as hard as you can.

tallman
8th March 2015, 03:38 PM
I just found if I remove that copper washer the steel washer and the clip from the inside groove I can put it all together with new clip on the outside groove of the axle(first pic). The middle pic are the two washes and clip I removed from the inside groove. Last pic on the right is axle with washes and clip removed.

tallman
8th March 2015, 06:26 PM
Well think I found my answer...on another forum there was a fella doing same thing as me, he was told those washes(shims) are for the auto hubs only and to just use the outside groove for the cir clip..thanks for everyone's help much appreciated.

Dales300exc
8th March 2015, 06:32 PM
Manual hubs should have nothing fitted in the second groove. Single circlip in outer groove only.