PDA

View Full Version : air flow sensor questions ??

patrol 98
15th March 2011, 11:57 PM
i washed out my air filter yesterday and i think i may have got some water in the sensor and i went to start the car this morning and it wont fire up or it will for a second and just die.

so my question is
if ive blown the sensor will the cars computer not let it start ?

YNOT
16th March 2011, 12:37 AM
If you've damaged the sensor then yes, it won't let the car start. I would try cleaning the sensor before buying a new one. If it's a petrol engine make sure the ignition system including inside the distributor cap is COMPLETELY dry.

Tony

the evil twin
16th March 2011, 12:12 PM
i washed out my air filter yesterday and i think i may have got some water in the sensor and i went to start the car this morning and it wont fire up or it will for a second and just die.

so my question is
if ive blown the sensor will the cars computer not let it start ?

Uuuummmm... agree with Tony as well but... did you literally wash out the Air Filter with Water?

If you did, take the filter out and see if the Car will start. It won't hurt it to run for a few moments with no filter.

If that works then the water turned the dust in the filter to mud and clogged the filter

YNOT
16th March 2011, 12:20 PM
ET is right. I made a big assumption that you had a washable K&N type filter-please tell me I am right! If you washed out the original paper filter then it's now a throw away item. Standard filters are not washable.

Tony

the evil twin
16th March 2011, 12:29 PM
ET is right. I made a big assumption that you had a washable K&N type filter-please tell me I am right! If you washed out the original paper filter then it's now a throw away item. Standard filters are not washable.

Tony

He may well have a K & N, Tony... I was just pulling one from left field... but you never know I spose

patrol 98
17th March 2011, 01:50 AM
haha i think it is just a standard filter so ill have to check that tomorrow.
cheers for your help guys

the evil twin
17th March 2011, 01:10 PM

ROFL... if it was, bin it as Tony suggested and replace it with the spare you carry.

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 03:47 PM

How did you mate? Sorted?