PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Air Bag

cgm
3rd March 2015, 12:37 AM
Finally had a go at trying this yesterday and FAILED! :)

The quality looks fine from what I can see and I'm happy enough, but I had two issues:

1. The exhaust has had a chrome tip put on it and it leaked back around the join when I tried to use it, so it just wouldn't inflate (this was the main issue)
2. I decided to try it under the drivers side and from the exhaust coming out the rear left you can't see what's going on if you are doing it on your own

I'll take off the chrome tip and throw it away (I often hit it anyway, so should get rid of it). But I never thought about the visibility issues. Just gonna have to do it a bit at a time and check on it I guess. I probably will get a piece of carpet or maybe mudflap to have around incase I want a bit more padding than bit of stuff provided.

Would encourage anyone to test it before you need it if you do get one of these.

Edit: Sorry guys, somehow ended up in the wrong thread

graeme1969
3rd March 2015, 08:52 AM
Gday. Visibility should not be too big of an issue as there wouldn't be many times if any that you would be on your own, especially out on the tracks.

the evil twin
3rd March 2015, 11:28 AM
... or, if it is an issue, use a compressor for inflation instead of the exhaust gas.

cgm
3rd March 2015, 11:46 AM
Ha ha it has been a complete thread hijack. Oh well.

the evil twin
3rd March 2015, 01:48 PM
Ha ha it has been a complete thread hijack. Oh well.

No biggee... the Moderator will move it when they get a chance

NissanGQ4.2
3rd March 2015, 04:18 PM
Couldn't decide where 2 stick it so stuck it under Essential Toolbox Items.

.................Well at least I moved it :)

lucus30
3rd March 2015, 04:21 PM
I've been meaning to give mine a go at some stage also. I've got the same one

Cuppa
3rd March 2015, 04:44 PM
Must try mine at some stage. It has both a ‘funnel’ like yours to push over the exhaust, but also has a valve to fit a compressed airline to.

jack
3rd March 2015, 04:55 PM
Must try mine at some stage. It has both a ‘funnel’ like yours to push over the exhaust, but also has a valve to fit a compressed airline to.
I had to put a chrome tip on my exhaust as it was cut at 45 degree angle, works fine but be careful you don't get coated in soot if you don't hold it tight. Never tried the compressor fitting, wonder how quick it would be.

Stropp
3rd March 2015, 05:11 PM
yes i had to get rid of my chrome tip as well as it was cut at 45.

MudRunnerTD
3rd March 2015, 06:30 PM
I have seen heaps of guys fail with these simply because they were not putting enough weight on the hose. You dont really need to rev the car but you do need to push the funnel onto your exhaust tip really really hard. If it is still not inflating push harder.

They work a treat.

kevin07
3rd March 2015, 11:39 PM
Finally had a go at trying this yesterday and FAILED! :)

The quality looks fine from what I can see and I'm happy enough, but I had two issues:

1. The exhaust has had a chrome tip put on it and it leaked back around the join when I tried to use it, so it just wouldn't inflate (this was the main issue)
2. I decided to try it under the drivers side and from the exhaust coming out the rear left you can't see what's going on if you are doing it on your own

I'll take off the chrome tip and throw it away (I often hit it anyway, so should get rid of it). But I never thought about the visibility issues. Just gonna have to do it a bit at a time and check on it I guess. I probably will get a piece of carpet or maybe mudflap to have around incase I want a bit more padding than bit of stuff provided.

Would encourage anyone to test it before you need it if you do get one of these.

Edit: Sorry guys, somehow ended up in the wrong thread

count me out my pipe is 2 big for that

MudRunnerTD
4th March 2015, 12:51 AM

Your pipe is plenty small enough. I have a 3" pipe on both my patrols and it works great.

cgm
4th March 2015, 12:52 AM

The engine on the Y62 might blow it up and burst it before you get to think about it. :)

cgm
4th March 2015, 01:01 AM
I have a day off tomorrow (technically today already). I'll take the end of the exhaust off and try again. I'll also check for and try the compressor fitting. Can't say I noticed it but the website mentions it. Nice to know if both options are feasible. The compressor connector would sort the visibility issues, but would assume it to be a bit slower. Will report my findings.

the evil twin
4th March 2015, 10:59 AM
snip... I'll also check for and try the compressor fitting. Can't say I noticed it but the website mentions it. Nice to know if both options are feasible. The compressor connector would sort the visibility issues, but would assume it to be a bit slower. Will report my findings.

It is.
Depending on the compressor depends on by how much... but... your not going anywhere

BillsGU
4th March 2015, 11:15 AM
No need to carry extra carpet - just use your floor mats. You should make sure you have used and are familiar with every bit of recovery gear you have. It's easy to lay it all out on your front lawn on a nice day and work out how it all functions - as opposed to steep hill, raining, muddy, dark, panic time, bits missing!?! etc.

cgm
4th March 2015, 02:23 PM
No need to carry extra carpet - just use your floor mats. You should make sure you have used and are familiar with every bit of recovery gear you have. It's easy to lay it all out on your front lawn on a nice day and work out how it all functions - as opposed to steep hill, raining, muddy, dark, panic time, bits missing!?! etc.

Floor mat. Seems so obvious now you've said it, but I would never have thought of it lol

cgm
4th March 2015, 02:38 PM
Ok, so took the chrome tip off the exhaust and had another go. Pleased to say all worked as expected and I'm very happy with it. Especially for $85 delivered. I initially didn't notice the second valve with a standard tyre valve on it to use the compressor (it was wrapped in some supplied gloves in a small plastic bag). Don't see any obvious need for the compressor option, it worked fine off the exhaust, but it is another option if the need arises (blown hole in the muffler or something?). Visibility wasn't much of an issue, I just checked the placement a couple of times (and did move it after it started inflating to position it better).

Lifted the whole side of the care without issue. Looks a bit scary, must be made of good stuff. In any case you should never be under the vehicle, but with this thing I'd still be even more careful and thinking how far things would fall if it did let go.

Overall, really happy with my purchase, but also glad that I took the time to test and be ready for it if needed.

Not happy with the bright orange bag - ha ha :p It is still a bit bulky and will attract attention to the back of the car. Wonder what I could sensibly use to dye it a darker colour?

55763 55764
55765 55767

Cuppa
4th March 2015, 03:07 PM
How easy was it to fit back into it’s bag after being inflated for the first time?

threedogs
4th March 2015, 03:21 PM
Can you get a picture of it once you have "RE-PACKED" it please

mudski
4th March 2015, 05:08 PM
Mine repacks up exactly the same way it come out. The only time I've had to use mine, a hi lift was also used to support the car just in case the bag gave way.

lucus30
4th March 2015, 05:13 PM
If I had to get under the car in the bush i'd use the chainsaw to cut up some wood for the car to sit on i think. Dunno never had to so far but I know i would never get under a car supported by a airbag jack that's for sure

cgm
4th March 2015, 05:18 PM
Went back in no problem. Actually, it wasn't in the bag when it arrived in the box, but the air comes out easily and it went in the bag without too many issues. Not like trying to get a tent back in it's bag!

55770 55771

threedogs
4th March 2015, 05:54 PM
Could you use it for a chair at camp, shame it only has one use

MudRunnerTD
4th March 2015, 06:43 PM
If I had to get under the car in the bush i'd use the chainsaw to cut up some wood for the car to sit on i think. Dunno never had to so far but I know i would never get under a car supported by a airbag jack that's for sure

When you use the jack to remove a wheel you place that wheel under the vehicle. no need to cut up wood. use your spare or the wheel your taking off. Dont get under the vehicle.

lucus30
4th March 2015, 07:04 PM
When you use the jack to remove a wheel you place that wheel under the vehicle. no need to cut up wood. use your spare or the wheel your taking off. Dont get under the vehicle.

I do that even with jack stands but I wouldn't get under it with just a wheel and exhaust jack

mudski
4th March 2015, 07:07 PM
I do that even with jack stands but I wouldn't get under it with just a wheel and exhaust jack

Meh! For skinny folk like me a wheel is big enough! Lol.

cgm
4th March 2015, 07:09 PM
You shouldn't get under the vehicle on any jack, but it just feels easier to be nervous with a bag, even though I reckon in most cases the Hi Lift is probably even less stable. I'm happy with it though and sure it will get used from time to time. It is slightly too big to fit in any current hidy holes, so haven't worked out if it will remain in the truck all the time. While it remains flourescent orange pretty sure I'll get sick of it and ditch it unless I know I'm going on a trip.

cgm
4th March 2015, 07:19 PM
Could you use it for a chair at camp, shame it only has one use

Nah, wouldn't be solid enough for a chair. At least it does have one use, not like half the crap I tend to carry around. :)

lucus30
4th March 2015, 07:52 PM
Meh! For skinny folk like me a wheel is big enough! Lol.

Lol what are you saying Mark?

mudski
4th March 2015, 08:48 PM
Lol what are you saying Mark?

Haha! Nuffin! :o

Lol I'm just saying I'm skinnier than a tyre.

lucus30
4th March 2015, 09:03 PM
Haha! Nuffin! :o

Lol I'm just saying I'm skinnier than a tyre.

Ha ha sure mate. For me it depends on the tyre ha ha maybe a truck tyre I'd be right

cgm
5th March 2015, 12:02 AM
I'd be ok if I had a set of these on and threw one of them under. Then I'd be skinnier than the tyre!

It says 1050/50R25 or 66 x 44 x 25. Yep, even I'd be safe if I had that propping it up.

55806 55807

lucus30
5th March 2015, 09:04 AM
Ha ha yeah I need the same.