PDA

View Full Version : Help needed wiring Switch and Relay for work lights

Smoothrun
26th February 2015, 02:00 AM
Hey All,

Im trying to wire up a switch and relay for my rear worklight, I have had some luck getting it to work but the switching and relay are playin with my head, last effort I gave up cos I switched the car power off removed the key but the main power was working through the switch. So thought it best to ask you guys if my diagram i had drawn up is correct. So without going on about what ive tried and pondered over for the morning ill give a brief description on where im at, Ill also put up a pic of my switch and tell you my wiring setup

Wiring installed

Front Aux battery with 8 B&S running down to my rear drawers into an engel socket and baintech power panel, the panel has 3 outputs and 4 switches, one of the switches I want to use for my work lights. These switches run positive, so i only need to put a +wire on switch and one on the - and thats ready to go

7 core trailer cable running from rear to the front, just as a spare as per this case scenario, currently nothing connected so i planned on using this. This runs beside the 8 B&S all the way

Need installed

Relay standard type pins 30,85,86,87 (or do i ?, some say yes, others say no given the power needed)
Narva 3 way switch on,off,on

ON - for selecting it to turn lights on at any time without putting it in reverse
Off- for shutting it down as per scenario just explained but also off so i can stop it coming on when selecting reverse gear.
ON - so it will activate the light when selecting reverse gear

Below are the pics, in the mud map you will notice a diode going from relay pin 86 to the switch, this was removed.

please help if you can and hopefully you can throw some relay and switch numbers at me to overcome my probs.

Cheers

Dave

Note: the pin numbers he gave me were

1 = positive, i suggest this goes straight to battery with a fuse
2 = relay pin 86
3 = reverse wire which is factory fused
4,5,6 = no connections
7 = earth
The switch has a large light on one side of the trigger, and a small on the other, i removed 1,2,3 put them to 4,5,6 directly opposite and the lights come on working fine, id prefer this incase i knock the switch during the day and blind people

Hope this all makes sense.

BigRAWesty
26th February 2015, 06:16 AM
So are you running any high powered lights?

If not I'd ditch the relays.
The loom runs down the passenger side, and in the gq exits the body under the passenger seat.

I'd simply tap into the reverse wire there and take it to the switch.

And then take a fused line direct from the battery and connect to the other side.

Now from the Middle pin on the switch run the feed wide to the rear.

So if you have high powered light now use the relay. If you are just running a couple of those led lights just wire them straight in.

That 6" light bar draws 1.5A. So 3mm cable will handle that.

Then simply tap in n earth return.

BigRAWesty
26th February 2015, 06:19 AM
The switch is made to power 2 accessories. But that's a double pole switch (think that's the name) so you can run 4.

Put power sources to the acc pins and then run the wire to the rear from the positive pin.
Just keep them all on the one side.

BigRAWesty
26th February 2015, 06:25 AM
But don't bother about the earth. That's just for the led and that'll just be a pain if you leave the switch in the on position for the reverse side

Smoothrun
26th February 2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks Kallen, appologies for not callin ya first but it was 1am when i retired, couldnt remember your workin hours as i deleted our text when i cleaned me phone up, ill check ya pm originally sent, im onto it now so ill let ya know, Cheers.

BigRAWesty
26th February 2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks Kallen, appologies for not callin ya first but it was 1am when i retired, couldnt remember your workin hours as i deleted our text when i cleaned me phone up, ill check ya pm originally sent, im onto it now so ill let ya know. Cheers.

To easy mate. Yea 1am no one was home anyway lol. Off in the land of nod..
Hopefully you'll get it licked now.

threedogs
26th February 2015, 09:41 AM
dont forget to fuse it near the the battery

Smoothrun
26th February 2015, 09:55 AM
Yep alls good now mate thanks. I did tell em i didnt really need a relay cos the light was only 1.6a. So anyway i went with it and couldnt write down what you originally told me last week. Appreciate ya help mate, bar looks the piece mate, ill post up some pics later on.

Cheers Dave

BigRAWesty
26th February 2015, 10:01 AM
Sweet. Looking forward to it

Smoothrun
26th February 2015, 10:33 AM
dont forget to fuse it near the the battery

Thanks threedogs, im running power source off my aux and down the passenger side under the door sill. I plan on putting it there, its a 6 amp fuse and at least i can just pop the sill off to check when faulty Its also the point where my main feed was tagged into by a sparky and obviously fused at the battery 50amp, plenty of room to add more if need be. Just saves me pokin holes in the firewall gromet everytime i want to install a new accy.

Was thinkin about a fuse panel but as i have 7 cores, constant power for lighting etc etc, ill just use and fuse them as i need them.

Its about a metre away from the battery so not too far, accessible and out of the weather which i prefer (IMO).

Im no sparky but im hopin it shouldnt cause any probs,

DaveGQ
27th April 2016, 03:55 PM
I have the same setup as described by the original poster. Trouble is I am running 2 x 55w Spot Halogen lights and the factory wiring from the reverse light isn't adequate. The lights are noticeably dimmer when powered by the reverse wiring.

I am not very savvy when it comes to electrickery and would appreciate some help (in layman's terms) how I can solve the issue. Obviously I need to use a relay, but how do I wire it?

Here is the caveman setup I currently have. Feel free to scribble on it and post back! Thanks

DaveGQ
19th July 2016, 03:32 PM
Anyone..??

4bye4
19th July 2016, 04:08 PM
The easiest way , using your existing setup, would be to connect the wire going from your switch to the light, to pin 85 of a standard auto relay, and pin 86 to earth. Now when you operate your lights from your switch, you operate your relay instead.
Connect a full seperate +ve battery to terminal 30 via a fuse. Connect terminal 87 on the relay to the light.

This is the easiest way given what you already have set up. After fitting this, instead of using your tail light +ve feed to operate your work light, you will be using that to operate the relay, which is not much load at all, and you will have a dedicated +ve to run your worklight. This will also prevent the work light blowing the tail light fuse and vice versa if there is ever a fault in the circuit. If there is a fault it will also make fault finding a little easier as you can see which fuse if blown.
cheers Tony.
BTW there are other ways of wiring a relay into the circuit.

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2016, 04:15 PM
I have the same setup as described by the original poster. Trouble is I am running 2 x 55w Spot Halogen lights and the factory wiring from the reverse light isn't adequate. The lights are noticeably dimmer when powered by the reverse wiring.

I am not very savvy when it comes to electrickery and would appreciate some help (in layman's terms) how I can solve the issue. Obviously I need to use a relay, but how do I wire it?

Here is the caveman setup I currently have. Feel free to scribble on it and post back! Thanks

Gday mate,

You need to fit a relay into your system. Use the linked supply from your reverse light to the Trigger 86 on the relay. Decent power fused from your battery to 30, Earth to 85 (85 and 86 can go in either direction) and 87 to your reverse light.

If you want to add a switch to the back so you can switch it on from the back too then add a switch into the 86 pin doubling it up and draw the power to that from the power from the battery i.e. pin 30 to your switch. Note if you have a reverse camera it will turn on with the switch as will your reverse lights.

DaveGQ
23rd July 2016, 08:34 PM
Awesome stuff guys, thanks heaps. Today I picked up a relay from Autobarn and I've wired it up as suggested, it work's beautifully. Incorporated a 3 way switch into it so now I can select ON/OFF/REVERSE, and each time it is powered using the Aux batt so it gets the full power.

Cheers again!

DaveGQ
23rd July 2016, 09:23 PM

Here is a diagram of the way I wired it, in case anyone is looking for something similar in the future but is not too sure about the finer details. There is probably better ways to do it, but this suited me best due to the location of my switch, relay and fuse block....

The three way switch gives you three options (obviously)

ON - turns the lights on using Aux Battery
OFF - err yeah.
REVERSE - Turns the lights on only when you put your gearstick in reverse. But it will use the Aux battery to power it, not the factory wiring for the reverse light.

Hope it helps.