PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel

daccers
15th March 2011, 02:15 PM
Hi guys, Im looking to put a snorkel on my '97 GQ 2.8TD, was wondering if anyone has any advice/ recommendations on the subject?

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 02:22 PM
Everyone will have an opinion mate - I have had Safari, and I currently have an Ironman ... both do the job just fine, but even though Safari sprout on about their warranty, try getting one out of them if something goes wrong with it. Ironman have a smaller warranty period, but are also more than a third cheaper ... most of the plastics used (irrespective of different production plants) would probably come from the same place anyway ...

My Ironman has copped a hammering from the occasional stones thrown up, to multiple tree branches, lantana, etc, and still looks brand new ... that said, if I were going to fit another, I'd get a Millweld alloy one just for the look!!!!

AB
15th March 2011, 02:26 PM
Everyone will have an opinion mate - I have had Safari, and I currently have an Ironman ... both do the job just fine, but even though Safari sprout on about their warranty, try getting one out of them if something goes wrong with it. Ironman have a smaller warranty period, but are also more than a third cheaper ... most of the plastics used (irrespective of different production plants) would probably come from the same place anyway ...

My Ironman has copped a hammering from the occasional stones thrown up, to multiple tree branches, lantana, etc, and still looks brand new ... that said, if I were going to fit another, I'd get a Millweld alloy one just for the look!!!!

x2 I love the look of the Millwelds. Hopefully get one of those or similar myself.

BillsGU
15th March 2011, 05:18 PM
Once you do get one, also get a sock that goes in the top. They are made out of a foam material (the same stuff as sports air filters) and you oil them before inserting them. They act like a pre filter and it means that your (very expensive) air filter will last much longer. They come in packs of three for about $35 - so you can carry spares to change in the bush and clean them out when you get home. I have had one for a couple of years and I think they are great.

growler2058
15th March 2011, 07:45 PM
love the millweld as well, however got a safari for bday present so safari it is. Had no issues except that the plastic mesh cover got smashed first trip out, same with the one on wifeys prado and on the hilux that is now in heaven (or hell) Could be my driving style, apart from that no worries. If you install urself make sure you follow the instructions, not worth squat if all connections arent water tight

mich@el
15th March 2011, 08:32 PM
Something to consider is that a snorkel and air filter takes up a lot of room under the hood. I have no room in my 97 GQ 2.8TD to put a 2nd battery under the hood.......just something to consider.

Finly Owner
15th March 2011, 11:11 PM
Some people make home made aluminium ones or stainless they look cool. I think as long as your happy with the price of what your looking at, and it's fitted tight, then get what you like.

daccers
16th March 2011, 12:51 PM
Something to consider is that a snorkel and air filter takes up a lot of room under the hood. I have no room in my 97 GQ 2.8TD to put a 2nd battery under the hood.......just something to consider.

Yeah I already have dual batteries and thought that it might cause a problem!!

brewer
17th March 2011, 08:17 AM
Do people notice an appreciable increase in diesel economy with a snorkle fitted? (on a 2.8 gq) This is the main reason I have been considering one...

growler2058
17th March 2011, 10:45 AM
Do people notice an appreciable increase in diesel economy with a snorkle fitted? (on a 2.8 gq) This is the main reason I have been considering one...

On my td42 there has been no noticeable increase in economy but and minor performance enhancement, on the open road.

At risk of stating the obvious though definately economical compared to drowing the ol girl

Sean
17th March 2011, 11:24 PM
Hey great info but was wondering if getting a stainless steel snokel will it run cooler air with better performance then a black plastic one...

Clunk
18th March 2011, 01:13 AM
Hey great info but was wondering if getting a stainless steel snokel will it run cooler air with better performance then a black plastic one...

I wouldn't think so but I'm not an expert, I'm sure someone will come along with a firm answer for you

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 08:58 AM

I doubt it mate - I think I understand the principle you're getting at (cool steel) but the reverse could be applied in summer months, the steel gets even hotter than PVC (even with the PVC being black) ... the use of metal is primarily for structural strength and looks I would suggest.

AB
18th March 2011, 09:05 AM
I doubt it mate - I think I understand the principle you're getting at (cool steel) but the reverse could be applied in summer months, the steel gets even hotter than PVC (even with the PVC being black) ... the use of metal is primarily for structural strength and looks I would suggest.

Agreed, I wouldn't think there would be much difference in either.

WarrantO2
23rd March 2011, 09:08 AM
Just had a look at the Millweld website, and its millweld for me, they look Great......

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 09:35 AM
Just had a look at the Millweld website, and its millweld for me, they look Great......

Yep! Wish I had gone one!!!

Ghost
25th March 2011, 08:12 AM
i went from a safari to a 4" stainless and yes i noticed an improvement but i also tossed the pizzabox and went to a donaldson so the improvement in power and economy could be either or a combination.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/24.jpg

Bigrig
25th March 2011, 09:58 AM
i went from a safari to a 4" stainless and yes i noticed an improvement but i also tossed the pizzabox and went to a donaldson so the improvement in power and economy could be either or a combination.

http://www.isx.com.au/brian/3.JPG

And additional to that, they just look bloody good!! I actually like the black elbows on your ghost!!!!

AB
25th March 2011, 10:13 AM
This is exactly what Im doing next weekend except I'm leaving the Pizza box on for now and will construct a dodgy reducer to the stock air filter outlet until I get turbo, etc...

Looks good mate.

How did you cut the hole? Jigsaw and hole saw?

I'm going to try the old trusty nibbler...

AB
25th March 2011, 10:14 AM
Also how have you mounted the bracket to the A pillar and snorkel?....Cheers

blake_gq4.2
27th March 2011, 02:40 PM
Home made alloy 4 inch pipe snorkel look nice, but tjm airtec are good things to.