PDA

View Full Version : smoke alarms in carravans and campers

hekarewe
15th March 2011, 11:23 AM
i was just reading the mail out from the NSW 4wd ass and there is a section in there about the NSW gov making smoke alarms in ALL moveable dwellings this in cludes and is not limited to carravans and campers. has anyone heard of the other states doing the same? or,,, is NSW just leading the way on this one. the other interesting thing is going to how and where are they going to control it and where are we meant to mount the dam things in a camper???? heres hoping they have thought this one through and dont demand that be a perminant fixture.

see the below link

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_more_info_latest.cfm?CON_ID=12492

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 11:46 AM
Like Kelvin, my parents bought their caravan in Melbourne and it has fire alarms fitted as standard, so maybe Victoria (and possibly even others) are doing it also ...

Kelvin

is your caravan stock with fire alarms?? Just a recent example that would be an obvious and very current indication that it's a manufacturers responsibility these days ....

the evil twin
15th March 2011, 03:37 PM
I see Tents are exempt and no mention of Camper Trailers only Caravans and Camper Vans in the link. Probably because they would have burnt down quicker than the Smoke Alarm could go off... Would actually be because you can't permanently mount the detector were it needs to go I reckon.

Bob
15th March 2011, 03:47 PM
I have one in my Camper Van which no matter where I place it goes off when a Kettle is boiled. I have to take the Battery out which is not what it was intended for.

Maxhead
15th March 2011, 05:54 PM
I wonder if my patrol is classified a a movable dwelling? I sleep in it, cook in it and also move in it..lol

BillsGU
15th March 2011, 06:13 PM
Bob - you can get ones that are designed for kitchens. They are more suitable for caravans.

Bob
15th March 2011, 06:14 PM
Bob - you can get ones that are designed for kitchens. They are more suitable for caravans.

Thanks for that. I did not know that but will look around

Finly Owner
16th March 2011, 12:32 AM
simple cook outside and boil kettle out there too

hekarewe
16th March 2011, 10:22 AM
Camper trailers also come under the definenition of a moveable dwelling/carravan/camper but yes i dont see the smoke alarm waking you in time before the canvas burns off!!! what would be a better idea for the gov might be to direct manufactures to start using flame resitant materals??? canvas for campers being impregnated with some sort of flame retardent????? just a wild thought.

Bigrig
16th March 2011, 10:46 AM
Camper trailers also come under the definenition of a moveable dwelling/carravan/camper but yes i dont see the smoke alarm waking you in time before the canvas burns off!!! what would be a better idea for the gov might be to direct manufactures to start using flame resitant materals??? canvas for campers being impregnated with some sort of flame retardent????? just a wild thought.

You talking crazy speak maaaaaann ... the government? Getting off our backs about bullbars and lifts, and focussing in something truly life saving? "tell him he's dreaaamin" ... LOL

hekarewe
16th March 2011, 11:14 AM
You talking crazy speak maaaaaann ... the government? Getting off our backs about bullbars and lifts, and focussing in something truly life saving? "tell him he's dreaaamin" ... LOL

thanks for bursting that bubble of happy warm fuzzies i had going there guess i need more acid to get right back to it LOL

Robo
19th April 2012, 05:25 PM
N.S.W. is 2nd only to California for litigation.
the rest of this story falls into place for ya now.

the liberal gov wether state or federal always thinks they can simply make laws and pass the buck for their own duty of care to the TAX paying public.
we have to respect this duty of care even to the point that you cant move without thinking about how it may affect someone else first in case of la court apperance.

Just now as I type this, we have new laws being released in nsw, gov has come up with a bottler for OHS rules to pass the buck even further.
just last night at work was given the into version to what is coming and boys this has profound challenges ahead for every body within nsw.

any way what's the problem in trying to ensure you, or your family don't burn death.
if you don't wake may be someone near by might come to you rescue.
any way cheers.

riskset
15th August 2012, 11:15 AM
thanks for this information. typical that this info is accessed more readily via camping forums than govt parks and services!