PDA

View Full Version : Complacency!

Hardyards
23rd February 2015, 12:51 PM
I recently read this article and it reminds me of a problem experienced in a lot of industries – Complacency. Regular posters to this forum keep updated on safety and Patrol maintenance, but how often do we proceed on a day trip and not make the normal arrangements that we would for a longer tour? Do we always pack all the recovery gear for a short drive, especially if we believe it to be a benign track? The more experienced we became, the more we attempt, and sometimes miss the basic steps we used to take as beginners.
I keep all the recovery gear in my Patrol as it’s only used for fun, but owners of everyday use trucks may remove some gear to lower weight/maintain better fuel consumption and timely reminders of other peoples adventures may prevent us having to have our own misadventures, no matter our experience levels. A reminder to take emergency rations and basic shelter is always prudent too!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/north-west/a/26307089/paying-for-a-rookie-error/

Plus, it’s always funny when it happens to someone else (and they survive unhurt). :wink:

mudnut
23rd February 2015, 01:05 PM
He was bloody lucky help wasn't too far away. I have done the same thing, but the weather isn't as bad a threat, down here, unless you factor in hypothermia. It is too easy to have a quick look at a track, and end up stuck.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd February 2015, 01:18 PM
"Enjoying the lovely views, I began to relax, but my concentration on the state of the road went out the window and suddenly I drove straight into a 20m-long pool covering the road"

mmmm, Can't say I have lost concentration enough not 2 notice a 20m long pool of mud............lucky he was't driving on a busy road.

Good read anyway

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2015, 01:38 PM
Absolutely. The patrol although being my daily is pretty much setup to go. Throw the fridge in, food and sleeping gear and we're off.
While the patrol was out of action a while back we took our wagon. By geese did we camp on the basics. We forgot so much lol.
But on a more serious note a recent trip of ours one of the participants left some very important medication home. It's lucky that our location ment an hour round trip to get an emergency supply and back to shops the next day. If it was further bush it would have been a whole different story.

Hodge
23rd February 2015, 01:46 PM
I hardly ever have everything in the truck. Most of the time its just the winch controller, if that. For weight and space reasons, as well as the area we live in is full of opportunistic cockroaches, (Bloodyaussie would know). Hence most of the stuff always stays locked up good and proper at home or at mums massive shed on her property (i have a small garage).
But that was a good read.

lucus30
23rd February 2015, 01:58 PM
Mine sits out the front of my place but for the same reason as Hodge i keep nothing in mine

Winnie
23rd February 2015, 02:27 PM
While the patrol was out of action a while back we took our wagon. By geese did we camp on the basics. We forgot so much lol.

We camped out of my Corolla once and we forgot just about everything.... haha was pretty hopeless.

threedogs
23rd February 2015, 03:36 PM
First thing to go in is the shovel single most important piece of recovery equipment IMO
Then my recovery bag with extra bits and pieces to make life a bit easier

megatexture
23rd February 2015, 07:46 PM
No sympathy here, buy a winch... Or don't go solo

the evil twin
23rd February 2015, 09:03 PM
Having to do the same thing over and over all the time means I don't have time to be complacent

Rossco
23rd February 2015, 09:14 PM
You know your getting desperate when you pull out the hi lift jack and try to winch with the bloody thing. Been there before - certainly not fun pretty hopeless really. In the end we all make bad decisions we regret. As long you learn for next time all good.

Ben-e-boy
23rd February 2015, 09:15 PM
Mine wasnt complacency, just laziness, no spare tyre for a creek run,
The following meme will tell the story.

Hardyards
24th February 2015, 11:29 AM
Having to do the same thing over and over all the time means I don't have time to be complacent

Haa ha, good one. Muscle memory rules!
(Because Human and environmental factures never change.........) :hpfredgeorge1:

threedogs
24th February 2015, 12:01 PM
every recovery situation should be executed as if it was potentially a dangerous situation.
Especially with children running around, unfortunately the nailgun rule does not apply in this situation lol
Become complacent and it will bite you on the butt big time, every time is different though.
Never rush ,think it out and execute it to plan.