PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone measured stock suspension travel on a 2013 GU?

Virgil
18th February 2015, 08:06 PM
Hi all

I bought my first proper fourby 2 days ago - a 2013 ZD30 GU auto with a factory bullbar and Warn 9500 winch.

I'm looking at a suspension lift but have seen the new NSW vehicle mod rules which limit suspension lift to 1/3 of the distance in the direction of travel.

Has anyone measured this at both ends for the 2013 GU?

My preference is a 3 inch lift but want to make sure this is legal so I don't void my insurance.

Also, the tires are stock and have about 20,000km left on them and I plan to upgrade to 33s.

Cheers

MEGOMONSTER
18th February 2015, 08:13 PM
I believe a 50mm lift is legal aswell as 20mm on tyres only.
Anything above would be an illegal modification.

jay see
18th February 2015, 09:21 PM
Best bet would be to check out your RTA website or even better call them as different states have different rules/laws

BillsGU
18th February 2015, 09:39 PM
Where do you live? We have a travel ramp you can use to exactly check out your suspension travel.

Virgil
20th February 2015, 10:52 AM
Hi BillsGU, thanks for the offer. I live in Erskineville, which is in between Redfern and Newtown

Thanks for gettting back to me Megomonster and Jay See. The regs were updated late last year. Suspension upgrade limit is now 1/3 increase in travel. Tire increases are limited to 7% of overall diameter of the tires recommended on the tire plaque. For me, this is 275/65R17, which converts to 789.3mm. Adding 7% to this gives 844.55m - an increase of 55.25mm. This means I can get pretty close to 33inch tires legally provided they fit on my rims. Looking as the new Cooper STMaxxx

threedogs
20th February 2015, 11:02 AM
pretty sure its 2" suspension lift and 2" increase in tyre size right across Aust
You can legally run 33/285 tyres.
Any higher or bigger will require an engineers certificate

bowerbird
20th February 2015, 11:34 AM
If the 1 third rule applies then 75mm lift (3") means you need 225mm travel ( 8") I don't think the patrol will have that amount of travel as std. ( I think)
a 50mm lift ( 2") means you need 150mm std travel which I recon would be achievable, based from full droop to full compression. An easy way would be to measure the shock travel by driving up something to get enough articulation in the rear to hang a tyre in the air. then measure length of shock shaft to get travel. I know bump stops will stop travel before shock bottoms out but I am sure you could get around this, and just use shaft length as a rule. I am assuming the front has less travel so not sure if the rule takes this into account.