PDA

View Full Version : 2011 GU 7 Dash Lights

JB_Meerkat
17th February 2015, 08:50 PM
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already in another post, but ive been trying to change my dash cluster lights from the stock orange colour, to blue, or possible white LEDS.
However, i have tried multiple blue LED's (T5 wedge style) so far (all bought off ebay) and i can see that they are turned on from the back of the cluster, but i cannot see the blue LED shine through the front. It's as if there isnt lights on behind it at all.
I am stumped, is the lack of visible light due to the LEDs being to dull, or is there a film on the cluster itself that would be blocking the LEDs shining through, but allows the regular orange halogen bulbs.
Ive seen many threads of other people successfully doing it, but they all seem to be pre 2004 patrols.
Thanks for the help in advance.

John

the evil twin
17th February 2015, 08:55 PM
What style of T5 LED are they?

If they are the type that only has a "front" showing LED I doubt they will work.
I think you will find you need the style that broadcast light to the side so the light can travel thru the transparent medium and light up the instrument mask.

I haven't done it myself tho so that could be totally wrong

JB_Meerkat
17th February 2015, 09:07 PM
I've bought these:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201077351346&alt=web
and these:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161153693172&alt=web

They don't look like they'd shine down through the film. I get what you mean though, thanks for the info.

JB_Meerkat
17th February 2015, 09:17 PM
These are the LEDs i bought:

They dont look like they would shine down through the film very well, but i get what you mean.

jerrylee
4th May 2015, 10:00 PM
I have the same cluster orange i love my led's but i read on ebay from someone who sells led's that for this model you cannot change the color i think you would have to pull apart the cluster so you can remove the orange from inside i might have to buy a cluster pull it apart to see why so i don't wreck mine that orange just annoys me to i to want it blue when i get one i will let you know.

JB_Meerkat
4th May 2015, 10:08 PM
Yeah unfortunetly the LEDS just dont shine through the film inside the cluster. I've gone back to the stock bulbs for now.
Let me know how you go.

Cheers

jerrylee
4th May 2015, 10:43 PM
I have the same cluster orange i love my led's but i red on ebay from someone who sells led's that for this model you cannot change the color i think you would have to pull apart the cluster so you can remove the orange from inside i might have to buy a cluster pull it apart to see why so i don't wreck mine that orange just annoys me to i to want it blue when i get one i will let you know.