PDA

View Full Version : GU diffs into GQ

growler2058
14th March 2011, 10:50 AM
My rear diff has got a bend, not bad no shakes or woops, but enough to not being able to get a true wheel alignment done. My questions are:
1) Are GU diffs Stronger? (had heard or read that fronts are stronger)
2) Is it a straight swap over?
3) Will all of my suspension components be interchangeable? ( I'v got new 4" BigO4x4 Kit lower trailing arms adj draglinks springs shocks steering return to centre ext radius arms etc etc)
4) how much wider are they?
5) Is it a worthwhile conversion? strength v cost

Cheers all
not gunna happen o/night just on list of upgrades have been thinking about. Need to do swivel hub seals now so just weighing up my options

YNOT
14th March 2011, 11:03 AM
1a, The only difference between GQ and GU H233b rear diffs is the width, GU is 40mm wider.
1b, H260b rear diff out of coil sprung wagons (fitted to 4.5 petrol, early 4.8 petrol and 3.0l diesel all with manual gearbox only) is stronger and same width as GU H233b. Lockers are more expensive for the H260b diff and ratio's are limited.

2a, H233b Yes straight bolt in swap.
2b, H260b Straight bolt in but may require different driveshaft from the donar vehicle.

3, Suspension components are the same.

4, 40mm
5, If you are planning on BIG horsepower then fitting the H260b probably is a good idea, though most people will never find the limits of the smaller H233b.

Tony

growler2058
14th March 2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks Tony, will most likely only be turboing my td42 so wont get excessive hp there not gunna go silly with it.

Thanks again

the evil twin
14th March 2011, 03:15 PM
Hey Tony... quick hypothetical

If one was to do the diffs as a full "roll out GQ/ roll in GU" differential and housing exchange you would have to revisit your rim offset as well due to the wider track, Yes ?

YNOT
14th March 2011, 04:01 PM
Hey Tony... quick hypothetical

If one was to do the diffs as a full "roll out GQ/ roll in GU" differential and housing exchange you would have to revisit your rim offset as well due to the wider track, Yes ?

A lot of it will come down to your particular vehicle, what suspension and wheels you have. I have done the diff swap you're talking about and had trouble with the tyres touching the outer guards and flares. My wheels are about -12 offset.

Tony

the evil twin
14th March 2011, 04:23 PM
A lot of it will come down to your particular vehicle, what suspension and wheels you have. I have done the diff swap you're talking about and had trouble with the tyres touching the outer guards and flares. My wheels are about -12 offset.

Tony

Cool...suspected as much.

moo_r32
27th April 2011, 10:15 PM
thanks for that info ynot, a mate is about to do this and will find the info usefull!!

Matty852
21st December 2014, 05:08 PM
I am looking at doing the same swap, is there any work involved when it comes to switching to disc brakes on the rear ie swapping brake booster and master cylinder or any changes to brake lines?