PDA

View Full Version : Engine Warning Light On

Cadbury
14th March 2011, 07:33 AM
Hi all,
Over the weekend my GU got a bit hot on the motorway and started jerking a bit. I pulled over and noticed there was very little water in the radiator. After topping up the water she ran all fine, but now the engine warning light stays on.
I tried to do a fault check, but as soon as I bridge the two terminals I blow the fuse.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Tim

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 10:13 AM
Hi all,
Over the weekend my GU got a bit hot on the motorway and started jerking a bit. I pulled over and noticed there was very little water in the radiator. After topping up the water she ran all fine, but now the engine warning light stays on.
I tried to do a fault check, but as soon as I bridge the two terminals I blow the fuse.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Tim

Hey mate - how did the move go? Not sure on the light situation but one of the clevererer guys will be along to assist no doubt. As for the radiator itself, is there a leak that is noticeable anywhere around the water pump, hoses, thermostat housing etc? How hot is a "bit hot" and how long did it run for at that temp?

nowoolies
14th March 2011, 12:57 PM
Hi all,
Any ideas?
Cheers
Tim
g`day Tim
hopefully this will work for you as well
we did the same overheated motor low on coolant
same problem same result engine light on and cant get it off ,
motor running very rough lots of smoke no power very loud rattle top end
just came back from PERTH4X4 Welshpool
took him two seconds to sort problem
on the back of your fuel pump is a couple of wires going into a plug give a gentle wiggle first then
uncouple the plug, then plug it back in,
start motor should be running as smooth as silk
engine light still on , turn motor off count 5 turn motor on = no light
i went to this man to replace the ECU we tried that, and it didnt work he then did the above proceedure
im over the moon just saved around $500.00 on a ECU
nowoolies
Paul

Cadbury
14th March 2011, 02:00 PM
Oh crap, I have just realised I have been bridging the wrong connectors. No wonder I have been blowing fuses.
I will try the correct ones and let you know.

Bigrig, the move went as well as moves can be you know. Had to have a few beers for every peice of funiture moved.
Cheers
Tim

ishie
26th May 2011, 08:19 PM
Hey mate - how did the move go? Not sure on the auxiliary lights (http://www.jcwhitney.com/auxiliary-lights/c2812j1s17.jcwx) situation but one of the clevererer guys will be along to assist no doubt. As for the radiator itself, is there a leak that is noticeable anywhere around the water pump, hoses, thermostat housing etc? How hot is a "bit hot" and how long did it run for at that temp?

how did i know if its on the light situation? mine has a leak that is very noticeable with the water pump.

YNOT
26th May 2011, 08:37 PM
how did i know if its on the light situation? mine has a leak that is very noticeable with the water pump.

Ishie, if you have a water leak it would be better if you started another thread.
The light they are referring to in the above posts is the engine warning light.

Tony

Cadbury
1st June 2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks to all,
It was the alternator, I put a new one in tonight and all is good agin. No lights on the dash.
Thanks guys
Cheers
Tim

Rimmy
27th August 2011, 12:27 PM
Hi guys i am new to this forum.

I have had the same problem after i put a fan blade through the radiator and overheated the engine. I have fixed the radiator and am fairly confident that i have not damaged the engine as i noticed it fairly soon after it started to overheat but i can' get the engine light to turn off. What could have caused this?

Bigrig
27th August 2011, 12:36 PM
Hi guys i am new to this forum.

I have had the same problem after i put a fan blade through the radiator and overheated the engine. I have fixed the radiator and am fairly confident that i have not damaged the engine as i noticed it fairly soon after it started to overheat but i can' get the engine light to turn off. What could have caused this?

Hey mate - no doubt someone will be along to help out, but how about jumping over to the introductions section and letting us know a bit about you and your rig. No harm done at all boss, but something we ask for and let's everyone know who they are yakking with.

Welcome aboard anyways!!

guterra
27th August 2011, 04:38 PM
Hey fellas, also new here... But just a bit of advice... One of my "best money well spent" was on an ecutalk (or scangauge). It will read and reset fault codes and display realtime info, so you know what is going on, and you can set alert tones on coolant temp, voltage etc...

My alternator failed recently as well, but I knew straight away from the ecutalk. Slapped another on, and away I went.

Well worth the $220 odd bucks and saving an engine from overheating by the coolant alarm.

Cheers

Bigrig
27th August 2011, 05:14 PM
Hey fellas, also new here... But just a bit of advice... One of my "best money well spent" was on an ecutalk (or scangauge). It will read and reset fault codes and display realtime info, so you know what is going on, and you can set alert tones on coolant temp, voltage etc...

My alternator failed recently as well, but I knew straight away from the ecutalk. Slapped another on, and away I went.

Well worth the $220 odd bucks and saving an engine from overheating by the coolant alarm.

Cheers

Top advice mate, but can you also slip into intros as per the other post ..

I've got the Nissan Data Scan software with the ECUTalk device and they're bloody bottlers!

YNOT
27th August 2011, 05:22 PM
I've got the Nissan Data Scan software with the ECUTalk device and they're bloody bottlers!

The ECUTalk probably won't work when we put the programmable injection on Tank. Shouldn't matter if it doesn't work, you'll be able to plug your laptop in instead.

Tony