PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS

relyimah
15th February 2015, 08:39 PM
Hi all, thought I'd ask for thoughts / opinions on here while I'm doing my homework...

Thinking about buying a handheld GPS unit,so I can use it in car and out...

Wanting something that will leave breadcrumbs on and off road... A few that I've seen seem to do turn by turn on road so guessing you can also type in addresses as well as co-ordinates...

Really at the start of my search so any input would be great...

NissanGQ4.2
15th February 2015, 09:06 PM
Hi Ben,

Which one would you use most / want most, in car or out?

I haven't looked a GPS's for a long time.... at least 10 years but when I did get one I opted for the Garmin quest (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/quest-/prod213.html) as it was more in car navigation but was able to leave bread crumbs when off road or bush walking/ I know that made a quest 2 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/quest-2/prod338.html) but they are both well and truly discontinued now.

Most car ones that I have seen these days don't leave bread crumbs...

relyimah
15th February 2015, 09:37 PM
Well I have my phone and other in car gps devices for the car, but in all honesty would be good to have one that does it all.

I guess price is the trade off here (if it's a lot cheaper but only does off road then may be a consideration)

Looks like garmin still may lead the charge (at least on ebay) but will need to do a lot more research.

Just know I'm extremely navigationally challenged so if I start heading off the beaten track for hunting, etc I'm going to need to have something to get me back to camp/car

the evil twin
15th February 2015, 09:44 PM
Just know I'm extremely navigationally challenged so if I start heading off the beaten track for hunting, etc I'm going to need to have something to get me back to camp/car

Buy a dinky little Garmin Etrex, turn it on, stick it in your pocket.
You can knock it, drop it, get it wet, don't need a degree in technobabble to work it and best of all...
It will get you home every time.

Trying to get an 'all in one' solution that is ruggedised, has a decent screen, decent battery life, decent software, decent antenna, does raster and vector maps etc etc just isn't available

relyimah
15th February 2015, 10:06 PM
True ET ... Essentially needs to be good for walking then anything else is a bonus. I'll add to the list to look at.

relyimah
15th February 2015, 10:09 PM
Was one of the couple I'd had a quick look at already... Etrex 20 and gpsmap 62s. Which appears to maybe be a slightly "better" version...

neet_wagon
15th February 2015, 10:15 PM
I've got a Garmin Rino 650 (http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/rino-650-gps-uhf-radio/) for hunting, and besides the actual gun it is the single most valuable tool I have purchased.
Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. It is a combined 5w UHF and GPS, but it doesn't skimp on the functions of either.

You can even get free maps from: shonkymaps (http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/)

relyimah
15th February 2015, 10:27 PM
I've got a Garmin Rino 650 (http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/rino-650-gps-uhf-radio/) for hunting, and besides the actual gun it is the single most valuable tool I have purchased. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. It is a combined 5w UHF and GPS, but it doesn't skimp on the functions of either. You can even get free maps from: shonkymaps (http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/)

That one looks like the ducks guts ... Not sure if it's within the price range though at this stage.... Will definitely be on the short list though.

Still seems like Garmin or nothing though... I'm ok with this. I wish I'd never got rid of my in car one...

the evil twin
16th February 2015, 12:52 AM
For the lower end of the scale (or budget if you prefer) and reccy use I like Garmin.
For the upper end Magellan take over and almost all our surveying gear at work is Magellan based.

Either way both companies were there from the start of the GPS revolution and are world leaders.
Can't go wrong with either choice

relyimah
16th February 2015, 01:02 AM
For the lower end of the scale (or budget if you prefer) and reccy use I like Garmin.
For the upper end Magellan take over and almost all our surveying gear at work is Magellan based.

Either way both companies were there from the start of the GPS revolution and are world leaders.
Can't go wrong with either choice

Cheers. So it looks like the "eXplorist" is the Magellan equivalent to the eTrex... A little pricier but would you suggest that maybe the would be better accuracy for the extra price? Or maybe just paying for the name at that end of the scale? See to have similar featured from a quick glance....

the evil twin
16th February 2015, 01:13 AM
There is no difference in accuracy between the two brands.
Garmin seem to have deliberately targeted the reccy user for some years now with pricing.
Magellan seem to have gone after the professional with technology.

Nothing wrong with either tho... kinda like Euro phones versus Asian ones.
They each have a different feel on menu layouts etc but will do exactly the same thing in the end

I'd buy whichever one you get the best deal on that suits budget and your personal likes.

oncedisturbed
16th February 2015, 01:47 PM
Is your phone a smartphone? If so which 1?
Android and Apple both have GPS apps that can be dedicated to on/off road or both and also as a standalone GPS unit for hiking, hunting etc.

I use my Ipad and Iphone for all my GPS stuff and run multiple apps which allows me to switch as needed and gives me full coverage on and off road for the areas I need. Can add further maps to it as needed as well.

threedogs
16th February 2015, 02:45 PM
I have a Garmin 12 but from not using it for so long its reverted back to the Northern hemisphere.
Great GPS had the bread crumb track and back track button, probably old technology now but a great
GPS I suppose in its day

relyimah
16th February 2015, 04:39 PM
OD - looking more for hiking / getting lost so would prefer to have something dedicated (would hate to lose gps because I played too much solitaire at camp the night before)

I use phone (android) / ipad in the car though.

3D - it really sounds like Garmin is the way to go. I know my dad had a Magellan years ago but we are talking ancient. Was excellent and expensive for its day but as ET has hinted, it appears Garmin have gone for the consumer market...

Definitely going to continue my homework and then wait till I can afford the right one.

threedogs
16th February 2015, 05:54 PM
From memory and theres not much left on a comparo one of the mags did I think the Garmin e-trek won the day
on pricing and ease of use, including battery life.
Got my Garmin 12 working just needed to delete my go to points and start again .
I paid $300 20years ago second hand and this model doesnt have the ext antenna
Still works like a dream
I liked it cause I could go for a walk and make my back to base camp easily via the bread crumb feature.
IMO I dont think the colour screen is necessary

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-GARMIN-ETREX-10-HANDHELD-GPS-/271751763577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f45aad679

This is the model after mine
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-12-XL-Handheld-GPS-/131425840726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e99972e56

relyimah
16th February 2015, 06:00 PM
From memory and theres not much left on a comparo one of the mags did I think the Garmin e-trek won the day
on pricing and ease of use, including battery life.

Yeah think I've read that review (or similar)... The eTrex certainly seems to win hands down.

My only conflict is I want the features of the 30 but the colour of the 20. Haha.

threedogs
16th February 2015, 06:23 PM
ATEOTD all it has to do is find its way back to base camp.
if thats its sole purpose, just extra $$$$ for unwanted features .
Though topo maps would be a nice feature to have

relyimah
16th February 2015, 06:30 PM
Yeah. Extra features always nice... Think I'd definitely end up with the topo maps on whatever I get. Possibly a car kit too and then it can be useful while it's charging.

threedogs
16th February 2015, 06:41 PM
yeah, someone here may have a spare handheld to sell
plus they are a bit more complex than a Navman style unit
good luck shopping lol

relyimah
16th February 2015, 07:08 PM
good luck shopping lol

That's the best part isn't it?! :)

doka404
16th February 2015, 07:16 PM
I have a couple of Garmins..but the one i use most (read that as all the time) is the Rhino 650.
UHF built in, GPS with Mapping and if your buddy has one you can poll each other to see where you each are (ie he shows up on your map)

threedogs
16th February 2015, 07:20 PM
what price range you looking at with the Rhino 650

doka404
16th February 2015, 07:33 PM

there was a special when we bought then a year ago where you buy two for the price of one with the maps included but i think these days they go for around 400.00 odd.
Which for a Color Mapping GPS with 5w UHF is pretty good. the topo maps would be extra on top of that these days though I would think...

RAM Mount make a car cradle for them as well

neet_wagon
16th February 2015, 07:34 PM

I paid $500 from Anaconda on special, however at times you can find them online for buy one get one free.

doka404
16th February 2015, 07:37 PM
I paid $500 from Anaconda on special, however at times you can find them online for buy one get one free.

Exactly what we did..

threedogs
16th February 2015, 07:37 PM
That UHF feature makes it a winner in my books as I use
my spare 80channel in my camper as a home base radio

EDIT:: this is my Garmin 12, oldie but a goodie

oncedisturbed
17th February 2015, 10:59 AM
Another option is to get hold of an older GPS unit like a Navman S30 with sd slot, load MioPocket onto it and then source all the maps you want on it. Will still run Navman maps and will run Garmin, Magellan, Igo, Ozi, Tomtom etc.

MioPocket unlocks the unti from factory to allow you to mod it to what you need without having to pay big coin. Plenty of places around to get maps from including from members here.