PDA

View Full Version : revisiting auto problems in TB42

soulburner2000
15th February 2015, 04:50 PM
Hi guys. I haven't posted in some time on this forum as I had run into some problems with my auto a while back. I eventually got sick of wasting time, effort and money on getting nowhere fixing the problem, so I bought another vehicle and gave up on it. Lately I've been thinking about giving it another go as I'm sick of seeing the old girl on stands and covered in dust.

I want to ease myself into dealing with my issue, so I just have a simple question at this stage: what would cause things in the auto to go out of synch? EG- put it in reverse and it will drive forward; feels like in third gear. It wasn't slipping or anything prior to gradually losing gears.

I'm not much or a gearhead and this is the only 4x4 I've ever owned, but as frustrating as it has been working on minor issues at times I think it's an awesome vehicle and don't want to get rid of it. Any ideas/suggestions on where/how to approch this? Thanks.

(EDIT: just noticed my status on here is 'Expert' - I'm not even close!)

the evil twin
15th February 2015, 05:30 PM
Wholesale Automatics.

They know more about Patrol Autos than anyone else on the Planet including Nissan

Send them an Email or give them a ring.

NissanGQ4.2
15th February 2015, 06:49 PM
Is this still pretty much were your at Craig? :http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19763-GQ-auto-problem-ALMOST-fixed-still-need-some-help-ideas-suggestions-to-nail-it

jff45
15th February 2015, 08:06 PM
Wholesale Automatics.

They know more about Patrol Autos than anyone else on the Planet including Nissan

Send them an Email or give them a ring.

I'm still waiting for a reply to an email I sent 3 months ago.

jff45
15th February 2015, 08:17 PM
It wouldn't cost you much to drop the valve body and clean it out. You could also check solenoids while it's out.
A friend got a Nomad valve body from Wholesale but his vehicle wouldn't move after he fitted it. He refitted the original and it worked. Took it back to Wholesale and they found a stuck valve..

See my thread on how to dismantle a valve body..

soulburner2000
15th February 2015, 08:29 PM
Is this still pretty much were your at Craig? :http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19763-GQ-auto-problem-ALMOST-fixed-still-need-some-help-ideas-suggestions-to-nail-it

Yeah I guess so. I have had time to calm down a little since then, and now have fewer distractions and responsibilities. I doubt whether I'll get right into doing too much about it myself, apart from trying to track down another auto to drop into it....

soulburner2000
2nd February 2017, 09:51 PM
I have decided to resurrect this lost cause/money pit, because some people never learn.

mudski
3rd February 2017, 01:11 PM
I have decided to resurrect this lost cause/money pit, because some people never learn.

So what have you done since?

soulburner2000
4th February 2017, 01:19 PM
I've been checking out what else it needs. Apart from the auto, needs a new exhaust, and new tyres (also a battery). The old tyres were down on tread anyway, but sitting in the garage for a few years also did them no favours - so I got some nice rims with decent tread for a good price from one of my son's mates. So at least now I can roll it in and out of the garage - that's where I'm at now.