PDA

View Full Version : LED Light Bar Power Cable - Which Side?

Rocket55
13th February 2015, 08:07 AM
I've recently put a rack up on my Patrol and eventually plan on putting a light bar up there. In the mean time I've put a couple of LED spotties I had lying around up there. Now I need to wire them up. So knowing I'll be going a light bar latter which side of the car do I go onto the roof from now to avoid running new wires later? My plan, and I use that word lightly is a rubber grommet at the top of the B pillar then up the rack leg from there.

Everyone keeps saying these things all come out of the one factory, so does that mean the power cable is always on the same end? Theory says it should be if the above statement is true.

When I do it, I'll probably go a quality light bar as opposed to an e-bay special. I'm thinking Aurora, Rigid, Baja, etc.

If I'm looking at a circa 40" light bar do you guys run 6mm for this? I will also be running reversing lights, awning lights and side lights. This leads me to a 6mm feed on one side for the light bar and a 2nd feed on the other side using trailer wire for the other lower draw auxiliary lights.

Any thoughts?

Winnie
13th February 2015, 08:10 AM
Most light bars I have seen have got the power cable running out the middle of the light.

BigRAWesty
13th February 2015, 08:34 AM
I honestly don't think it'll matter to much unless your going a base mount bar?
Bars like the aurara (led light co) run wires from one end, but the mounts are end mounts and the bar can simply be flipped.

I guess it depends how you want to wire it all.
Some don't like drilling holes so they run it along the snorkel.

BigRAWesty
13th February 2015, 08:35 AM
Any link to that particular bar you want

happygu
13th February 2015, 09:30 AM
My Baja Designs Bar connection lead comes out on the Drivers side end.....

threedogs
13th February 2015, 10:19 AM
I have mine so the lead comes out over the "B" pillar,
that way its on the AUX battery side, hope that helps
I just flipped the light bar to suit

Rocket55
13th February 2015, 02:11 PM
Ah Ok, I wasn't aware you could flip the light bars over. So from this I guess there's no top and bottom, that makes things a bit easier. If the cable comes from the centre of the light then it doesn't matter.

Currently I've just got 2 spotties up there but they're not wired up yet. That's a job for now, but the light bar will be 6 months plus away, so not exactly sure which one it will end up being.

I think I'd rather drill a hole in the top of the B pillar, than run a cable from the snorkle to the roof then all the way down the gutter to the B pillar. I guess you'd use white Sikaflex to hold it in place?

When you go up the snorkle, you pop the wire out at the bottom of the screen between the guard and that little panel at the base of the screen (called what??). From there do you drill a hole and go inside the snorkle, or just cable tie it to the back of the snorkle?

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/Rocket5555/Build%20Pics%20Patrol/IMG_1113-1_zpsbhx0umtz.jpg

threedogs
13th February 2015, 02:19 PM
Bit hard to grab a picture but Ill try ,
My bar is mounted by the ends , the other type
can be remove and repositioned to suit your needs

EDIT My bar is 240watt spot beam only double row cree

the evil twin
13th February 2015, 03:46 PM
Every light bar I have played with or fitted the cable has come out the end.

You can only "flip" a light bar and keep the same cable orientation if it is one that has end mounts.
If it is a bar that has mounts along it's length they usually only go one way and it therefore means whichever way you fit it (upright or suspended) determines the side the cable entry is on.

Mine is suspended below my roof rack and the cable entry is on the drivers side.

I am sure there are Bars out there that are different tho...

megatexture
13th February 2015, 06:27 PM
as above^ and imo the bars that can flip(mounts on the ends) are the least secure type for theft

threedogs
13th February 2015, 06:39 PM
as above^ and imo the bars that can flip(mounts on the ends) are the least secure type for theft

I use security allen head screws and once its bolted up under my "new" roof rack You'd be hard pressed to remove it IMO
Some bolts and nuts I've even drilled so I can lock wire them as well.
Not going anywhere soon

Rocket55
13th February 2015, 06:56 PM
Currently the lights sit out in front of the rack on brackets, but I'm thinking when I get the light bar it'll probably get mounted under the front Rhino bar. Gets it back further and lower to avoid some reflection off the bonnet. Just need to get wiring up there first. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff and already the idea of a bit of exposed cable going over the gutter, along the gutter, over to the awning is annoying me.

Clunk
13th February 2015, 08:18 PM
yep, cables on my little 10" light bars are on the left end also (drivers side). Mounts along their length.

Just thought that i'd add, that if if I were to mount them underneath my roof rack, then essentially all I would need to do is flip them, so the mounds would be on tip of the bar, then the cables would then run to the passenger side.

lucus30
13th February 2015, 08:55 PM
I think I'll be doing this soon. Will run 2 x 7 core 4mm trailer wire up from the B pillar I think. This gives me plenty of room for future use and is enough to power 2 x hid, led bar, led strip in the awning, side work lights and rear work/reverse lights

mudski
14th February 2015, 10:38 AM
Heres my light bar and the wiring.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55030&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55031&stc=1

Rocket55
14th February 2015, 11:57 AM
That's a pretty nifty way of doing it Mudski. Your not limited to having the rack leg over the B pillar then.

Hodge
14th February 2015, 12:25 PM
As a few others have mentioned. My bar, as well as most other I've seen, have had the cable at one end. But the bar can be flipped either way, to suit.
Just my experience.

mudski
14th February 2015, 12:39 PM
That's a pretty nifty way of doing it Mudski. Your not limited to having the rack leg over the B pillar then.

I just use 4mm twin core wire with a waterproof plug on it so if I need to remove the rack I just unplug it. The white marks you can see on the wire in the door jam is just dirt from the door seal.