PDA

View Full Version : my GQ pics - Kuhmos, storage, oil cooler, spare wheel, lockup switch

boggy2006
13th March 2011, 05:08 PM
hi,

here's a few pics of things I've done to my GQ. Just had some Kuhmo Road Venture LT285/75/16 fitted, great price (compared to others) of $219. Quite chunky, deep tread, but can't hear them on the road. Will post a review after a few trips to work with them on.

So one of my Insa Turbo muddies is now a spare. Only just fits though and just able to open the small barn door! As these things are getting on for 60kg, I fixed a couple of bolts into the spare wheel carrier to lift the spare onto, before aligning it with the fixing studs.

In the back I picked up a large and 2 small galvanised boxes and bolted them in for storage when offroading and camping. Added a couple of extra tie down points where the 3rd seat used to bolt in. Also got my 110Ah sealed battery in there and airpump.

On the driver's foot rest, added a foot swtich for the torque convertor lockup.

Up the front, added a large 15x10" transmission oil cooler to help my ailing auto box as it appears to get noisy once it's very hot.

the evil twin
13th March 2011, 05:21 PM
Niiiice...

I changed to the KL 78's about 10,000 K's ago now. Used to have Cooper STT's and BFG's before them and ProComps before them... it's easy to forget how crappy Muddies are on the Bitumen, noisy, poor handling, reduced braking, increased fuel useage etc.

At $220 a corner for the 4 Rib Kuhmo's (5 Rib AT's I don't rate at all) I am more than happy for what I do which is a LOT of touring. I think you will be very happy with them too if you don't do any mud buggin'.

Clunk
13th March 2011, 06:14 PM
great pics boggey, like what you've done in the boot mate.

AB
13th March 2011, 09:10 PM
Very nice Boggy, looking good mate!

nowoolies
13th March 2011, 09:18 PM
not three bad mate looks good

boggy2006
15th March 2011, 05:40 PM
Niiiice...

I changed to the KL 78's about 10,000 K's ago now. Used to have Cooper STT's and BFG's before them and ProComps before them... it's easy to forget how crappy Muddies are on the Bitumen, noisy, poor handling, reduced braking, increased fuel useage etc.

At $220 a corner for the 4 Rib Kuhmo's (5 Rib AT's I don't rate at all) I am more than happy for what I do which is a LOT of touring. I think you will be very happy with them too if you don't do any mud buggin'.

I was suprised how much less they cost than other brands. I was initially a bit worried that they wouldn't be LT rated and as they are only speed rating Q, this is only acceptable on the Patrol if the tyres are LT, but fortunately they are LT. It'll be interesting to see how they are on the road to work, as sometimes I take quite a winding slippery route.

I reckon they wouldn't be too bad for brief forays off road too, as they are quite chunky, but will always try to stick my muddies on for the serous stuff!

boggy2006
15th March 2011, 05:47 PM
great pics boggey, like what you've done in the boot mate.

thanks, I didn't want to spend too much, so all in with boxes and brackets it came to about $130. The 2 smaller boxes are sat on top of the wheel arches, so still have space underneath them. They are supported on brackets and bolted to the rear box, which is bolted to the floor through the existing tie down fixing holes. The battery has a metal bracket and is bolted to the floor, the wooden plank was just an easy way to mount the compressor and charging solenoid, plus anthing else that needs to be scewed to it.

The 2nd battery is connect to the main with a 100A solenoid at each end and is switched on/off manually. I found that even though I only used 100A cable, when the main battery is quite low on juice, it's still possible to give it a decent boost from the second battery. I'll probably set up something more automatic in the future, but want to keep a manual overide in there too.

growler2058
15th March 2011, 08:26 PM
Good job mate does the job and satisfaction of diy

big_fletch
15th March 2011, 09:40 PM
Nice looking patrol there mate, can't wait for some more pics out in the bush lol

Finly Owner
16th March 2011, 12:08 AM
nice set up

wildgu6
16th March 2011, 08:53 PM
Nice work Boggy, Lookin good mate. Just dont over inflate the spare.

boggy2006
17th March 2011, 09:50 PM
Nice work Boggy, Lookin good mate. Just dont over inflate the spare.

LOL, yeah, it's pretty well squashed on there as it is!

89GQ
17th March 2011, 10:19 PM
Good idea in the back, heaps of storage and space! well done.