PDA

View Full Version : GU shocks & Springs on a GQ

Clunk
13th March 2011, 11:39 AM
Hi guys, would anyone out there happen to know if GU shocks and springs will fit on a GQ...... if so would they also increase the ride hight?

Thanks
Adrian

YNOT
13th March 2011, 04:25 PM
They do fit and I would expect a small increase in ride height due to GU springs being set for a heavier vehicle.

Tony

Clunk
13th March 2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks Tony, much appreciated as always mate.

MudRunnerTD
14th March 2011, 10:40 AM
I fitted a 2" GU lift into the GQ when i first got it as i was advised the the GU lift would give me an extra inch and i could still call it a 2" lift for insurance...as i said it was when i first got it..lol a long way down the track since then.

Standard GU springs and shocks would surely, as Tony stated, give you a little lift and would certainly be an "upgrade" to heavy duty standard height from the GQ stuff.

Clunk
16th March 2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks again for the info guys, much appreciated

ZORDO
16th March 2011, 10:04 PM
Yes GU coils & shocks will fit a GQ
Cheers

amandrew325
19th April 2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Im going to change my front springs and shocks on my GU this weekend, I have never done this before, I changed the rears a few years ago, so apart from the safety of car stands and wheel chocks, anyone got any advice on how to do it? do I need spring compressors? I am replacing the standard springs with Kings with 50mm lift, KDFR42

any advice is appreciated

growler2058
19th April 2011, 01:18 PM
Gat a good set of spring compressors mate i used a cheap set and now theyre a bit like a boomerang that was a 4" lift tho. You said you will use axle stands etc just bare in mind that diff is very heavy if she drops as mine did stay well clear

YNOT
19th April 2011, 01:19 PM
You 'shouldn't' need spring compressors.
To get more droop from the front suspension undo the bottom shock mounts and the bolt attaching the brake hoses to the diff housing. It also help to disconnect the panhard rod at the diff end.

Tony

Warnie
19th April 2011, 03:11 PM
I just used a trolley jack to jack up the other side of the diff and then put in a jack stand (Just off the ground). Then jack up the other side, remove the wheel and then lower the diff back down with the trolley jack until the spring falls out.. As said disconnect the bottom shock mount and also the break hose bracket. Put the new spring in and all back together and then do the other side. As a safety precaution I put my spare wheel under the car so it couldn’t fall on me. Ill post up some pictures later.

Cheers Adam

Warnie
19th April 2011, 05:31 PM
Sorry guys I told a lie, I don't have the pictures from when I did my suspension anymore. Sorry

ZORDO
24th April 2011, 08:08 PM
Naughty boy . Lying is a sin. Have you been to confession yet ????