PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Rim Failure.

mudnut
5th February 2015, 09:19 PM
G'day, All.
When I bought the Old Trol, the car dealers told me that the spare rim had the wrong offset, so they switched it with an after market rim before I took possession.

To me the original rim looked the same as the rest, but I couldn't say for sure and couldn't prove it.

The new rim had no markings on it whatsoever, so I kept it as the spare, but swapped it with a front one for the Cape Jaffa trip to keep all of the wheels in service.

I did all the right things when I changed the wheel: torquing the nuts to spec, then again after travelling a few kms. I even re-checked the nuts at Cape Jaffa.

When I got home, I went to rotate the rim again, but as I undid a few nuts I could see that the rims holes were out of round. Some of the nuts were hard to undo, as the rim had crimped the threads.

I put it back on as the spare and will now use it as a hose reel as I finally had the cash to get an ROH rim today. I found the brand name to be made of thicker steel, had better welds and was way heavier.

I have not doubt that the el cheapo rim would have caused some grief in the near future, if I had of left it on the vehicle.

So beware the cheap rims, fellow patrollers. Cheers MN.

megatexture
5th February 2015, 10:13 PM
I've had on two different occasions had steel D------ rims crack the welds in the location shown in this random photo both causing the tyre to go flat.
both steel rims were replaced free of charge but I sold the lot of them as I had no faith in them from that point on.

mudnut
5th February 2015, 10:44 PM
Where were they made? I was told that ROH still make the rims here, but there is no indication this is the case on the new rim or the box it came in, so I will just have to take their word for it.

mudnut
6th February 2015, 02:52 PM
I am a bit disappointed by the paint on the new ROH rim. The corners are very thin and you can see the steel.

threedogs
6th February 2015, 02:58 PM
It would be auto sprayed and keeping paint on a corner would be difficult IMO.

As for the chinese rims they would be lucky to be 4mm in the spoke area.
Eastern wheel works use 10mm for their custom rims prices start at $150 a corner
ROH i would guess would be 6mm in the spoke area, some cheap rims you can flex when on the hub.
Point being use at least a 6mm spoke area sunny.