PDA

View Full Version : Camping Trailer Insurance

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2015, 07:08 PM
Hi guys n girls

Rang my home and contents insurance provider today and found out my newly acquired camping trailer is not covered under my policy and they won't cover it :(

So thinking of moving my home and contents over to someone that will also cover the camping trailer.

So need some recommendations on various good insurance companys

Cheers

Toddie

the evil twin
5th February 2015, 08:20 PM
Try CIL 1800 112 481... but as always... get at least two other quotes

HuskyInAuz
5th February 2015, 08:22 PM
Hi guys n girls

Rang my home and contents insurance provider today and found out my newly acquired camping trailer is not covered under my policy and they won't cover it :(

So thinking of moving my home and contents over to someone that will also cover the camping trailer.

Cheers

Toddie

Who denied you insurance ??

Cuppa
5th February 2015, 10:17 PM
Based on my recent search for insurance for the tvan there is only one company which will cover the camper trailer anywhere in Australia, but they will only do so for ‘Market Value.’ If you want close to ‘anywhere’ then CIL are the go for ‘agreed value’ but won’t cover you for ‘actions of the tide’, so you’d be stuffed if unlucky enough to get bogged below the high tide mark on a beach. Probably the better policy if you dont intend to drive on beaches. We went with the ‘Market value’ through Arthur J Gallagher (http://www.ajg.com.au/catalogue/personal-insurance/4wd-insurance) ( was CGU, the Oamps, now AJG).They have a specific camper trailer policy plus a camping equipment add on, which if you take it out covers you for theft from the tent/awning which is unique I think.

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2015, 10:29 PM
Who denied you insurance ??

Comm Insure, Its who we used when we got the house loan so had 2 use them

BigRAWesty
5th February 2015, 10:31 PM
So what about insurance outside of home and content insurance??
Surly you'd have more luck with a vehicle insurer??

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys, will make some calls next week

the evil twin
6th February 2015, 12:04 AM
I was with OAMPS and its iterations (post and prior) and agree with Cuppa that they have the best level of cover but wow you sure paid for it.

CIL have been excellent to deal with so far.
The emergency accommodation limit is a tad low when you get busted up in Yulara but is probably adequate for most of Oz.

outback
6th February 2015, 12:20 AM
Hi guys n girls

Cheers

Toddie

Would have thought this might be covered under some form of caravan insurance.

SGIC/subset NRMA, do this. I can see them not having it under the house/contents insurance though.

Cuppa
6th February 2015, 12:22 AM
I thought both were expensive compared to what we’ve been used to paying for our bus & Patrol through Motorhome club insurance where paid about $600 for an agreed value of $55,000, which had no restrictions on where in Australia we were. However they won’t cover the Tvan, & will no longer cover the Patrol once the rooftop tent is removed (no longer a CMCA qualifying vehicle).

These are the two quotes for the Tvan - Age 57, 60% no claims bonus. (Both through Arthur J Gallagher).

CAMPER INSURANCE
Insurer: CIL
Policy Type: Camper Trailer
Sum Insured: $35,000 agreed value
Basic Excess: $200
ANNUAL PREMIUM APPLICABLE: $585.27

CAMPER INSURANCE
Insurer: CGU
Policy Type: Camper Trailer
Sum Insured: $35,000 or market value whichever is the lesser
Basic Excess: $100
ANNUAL PREMIUM APPLICABLE: $490.27