PDA

View Full Version : Rust remooval and clean

89GQ
12th March 2011, 06:18 PM
Was fixing some rust up on the old girl. after priming and sanding with 600 wet and dry, Then top coated with the white, Got some 1500 wet and dry to smooth out new paint, Ended up going over the whole car and it bought it up like new! Hope i havn't buggerd it up!!! But it looks good.

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2011, 08:27 PM
hmmmmm... 1500 is a bit rugged mate, if your paint was scratched to buggery then the 1500 will "straighten it out" for you but if you have a really close look you will find that you have "swirl" marks all over it now.

Time for a good medium cut and polish now and it will look like new. McGuires do a "Swirl Remover" in their cutting range that would be a winner for you now mate.

A little more effort now will make a massive difference and also close over the pores in the paint again and the polish will give it a heap more protection.

my 2c

89GQ
12th March 2011, 09:33 PM
hmmmmm... 1500 is a bit rugged mate, if your paint was scratched to buggery then the 1500 will "straighten it out" for you but if you have a really close look you will find that you have "swirl" marks all over it now.

Time for a good medium cut and polish now and it will look like new. McGuires do a "Swirl Remover" in their cutting range that would be a winner for you now mate.

A little more effort now will make a massive difference and also close over the pores in the paint again and the polish will give it a heap more protection.

my 2cYeh ya right looked good in the shade. LOL Will have a look for the McGuires cutting compound and give it a going over! Iv'e made what seemed an easy job into a big one hwahaha. Cheers

MudRunnerTD
13th March 2011, 01:01 AM
no probs.

Your right it is a big job but your paint is now as clean as it ever was and flat as a tack mate, you might even go over it again with 2500 if it is really rough but get into it with some cutting compound now and an electric buff and you will bring it up like new paint. You will be stoke with the final result mate.

Watch the edges and folds mate as it is really easy to go through the paint here and end up with shiny metal that will be nice runs of surface rust metal in about a month,

89GQ
13th March 2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks MudRunner, Its probably a good thing i done it, Looking over the car there's a few chips, scratches and tiny rust spots so will start from scratch with the rust etc. Dont want it too nice ,wont want to 4wd in it LOL. Thanks for your advice, Cheers Jeff

Silver
13th March 2011, 07:32 PM
finish off with a nice coat of hammertone - saw it on a landrover once, looked ok on that, wouldn't do it to my Mighty Mav :-)

Clunk
13th March 2011, 07:38 PM
finish off with a nice coat of hammertone - saw it on a landrover once, looked ok on that, wouldn't do it to my Mighty Mav :-)

I've seen a few cars that have been painted with hammerite, one was a 1974 Mini........ loved the effect