PDA

View Full Version : Storing Diesel in Cargo container

Jock
29th January 2015, 02:07 PM
I am going to the cape in july and am looking to carry extra diesel in 10 litre containers inside a Rhino polyeutherane cargo box on the roofrack. Is this OK. I'm a little concerned about the heat inside the cargo box although I will have a tarp over the top. Any advice appreciated. POSTED HERE IN ERROR SORRY!

Cheers Jock

happygu
29th January 2015, 02:23 PM
We stuck our Diesel Jerrycans on the roof across the Simpson and they were ok.

Our counterparts made up an open top box to sit theirs in and they were ok too.

I wouldn't worry about a tarp over the top, but using a plastic box or making up a timber box, just the right size to fit the Jerrycans in with allowances for straps or ropes to get them in and out easy makes a lot of sense ..... I had to untie my ropes each time I wanted to use them, which wasn't often but it was a pain in the butt.

Mic

threedogs
29th January 2015, 04:13 PM
Just be wary how much more top heavy your 4by will be. I would suggest
you either 1. put a larger 75lt Aux tank in or 2. get a 150lt main replacement fitted.
you should have enough range, its not that far betwenn fuel
stops these days, Plus the lighter you can travel the better it is for everything.
I wouldnt like 40kg on the roof, have you figured out the longestest between fill ups
How many going in the Ti ???
with 95 ltr and a 35 ltr aux you should have plenty of range to do the Cape

jack
29th January 2015, 04:25 PM
Agree with TD, plenty of fuel up there. Just don't fill up at Archer River and Jardine River crossing (much cheaper at Coen and Siesa).

TimE
29th January 2015, 04:31 PM
............ and if you must carry gerry cans, fill them at the last possible stop and empty them into your tank as soon as you can (the end of the day?) so you are not carrying a heavy load up high for longer than absolutely necessary.