PDA

View Full Version : Removing 2nd row seats and making up boxes, ideas anyone?

Danlonie95
27th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Hey, I was thinking about removing one of the 2nd row seats most Likley on the drivers side, has anyone does this? If so what set ups have you's done? And is this legal in vic? I'm looking to mount my sub and amp in there while I'm at it! Thanks

AB
27th January 2015, 08:33 PM
Not legal but many do this mod.

I've seen a nice false floor done with storage underneath and a fridge slide ontop.

Clunk
27th January 2015, 08:41 PM
Yeah Threedogs has removed one of his seats to make room for a fridge but I can't remember if he's done any drawers or other storage though.

This other fella has removed all but the passenger and drivers seat, so you may be able to get some useful ideas - http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?22538-Lwb-storage-draws-build-Rear-seats-removed

As far as legalities go, probably not strictly legal due to the number of seats not matching what it says on your compliance plate. But me personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Danlonie95
27th January 2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the help! something like would be grouse! But I already have drawers in the rear so I will keep it the same height as them! And just one side haha if anyone else has done this and just removed one seat feel free to post pics!

BigRAWesty
27th January 2015, 10:23 PM
Inlaws have done it with their prado. Went a full width box and just simple box which uses seat mounts.
Has a simple fold up lid and a few divisions in it.
Lid is latched closed of course.

liftlid
28th January 2015, 09:12 AM
Removing seats is only an issue if it's considered a "permanent" mod

relyimah
28th January 2015, 01:05 PM
Removing seats is only an issue if it's considered a "permanent" mod

Yep, and only permanent if it's welded in imo...
I currently have one seat out but looking to do both...

threedogs
28th January 2015, 02:33 PM
I removed the seat behind the driver and bolted in a platform to house my Engel and a engel transit base.
I have then mounted my spare inside and made a faux wheel on the back to house ropes straps and other light stuff.
Not a fan of drawers prefer boxes or crates for everything.
I was given spare Engel hinges and hinged the fridge the other way to make it easier.

HuskyInAuz
28th January 2015, 03:34 PM
I've pulled my 2nd row seats, left the seat belts installed so no argument about 'permanently removed' One side is used as the dog loft but underneath I put my first aid kit, booze and computer bag so it' hidden.

Not fancy but is functional.

relyimah
28th January 2015, 03:37 PM
I've pulled my 2nd row seats, left the seat belts installed so no argument about 'permanently removed' One side is used as the dog loft but underneath I put my first aid kit, booze and computer bag so it' hidden
Not fancy but is functional.

Got some photos Husky? Keen to see a few set-ups of this... Essentially know what I (personally) want but good to see options :)

HuskyInAuz
28th January 2015, 05:04 PM
I had a senior moment and walked off whilst the pics were uploading and then lost the session.

On the rear passenger side we used to put a medium sized cargo box (Intelliquip), now we have a second fridge that will go behind wife. The grey material is called Sunbrella and it's used to keep the dog hair off the front seats. Dog hair is also why I didn't carpet the ally backstop.

threedogs
28th January 2015, 05:09 PM
most of the major players that make cargo drawers will also have drawer systems for the passenger area
either two on either side or One long and two smaller, A friend of mine has this done on his Patrol

relyimah
28th January 2015, 06:00 PM
most of the major players that make cargo drawers will also have drawer systems for the passenger area
either two on either side or One long and two smaller, A friend of mine has this done on his Patrol

Yeah. Also considering extending out from the existing draws and moving the cargo barrier forward. Though that would make it "permanent" I'd say...

Danlonie95
29th January 2015, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the help! Ill be removing the seat in the next few weekends! I was also looking at my drawers in the rear, and I don't have any wing kits on the side so there is a big gap there like In the pic (that's not mine either was the only decent pic I could find) anyways I was thinking of filling in the gaps with a water tank on one side and air tank on the other, and make it flush with the drawers, has anyone done this? I work in a engineering shop so I've got all the tools I need.

Danlonie95
29th January 2015, 10:41 PM
Oh sorry! It won't let me upload a pic! Stupid phone

threedogs
30th January 2015, 09:18 AM
Not sure you would have enough room for an air tank unless you made one to sut the cavity,
and again not sure if even a bladder would work there, but you wont know
unless you remove the top and see what you have to play with,
You could mount an airtank on the cargo barrier say a 1-2 gallon job

Danlonie95
30th January 2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah I was thinking of making it to fit into the shape and it would also fill in the sides so it's a full flat surface

Stropp
30th January 2015, 04:35 PM
i have removed both rear seats and installed a black widow dual floor that bolts to the drawers and the seat mounts, i have left one side of the car clear of fittings so if it is too wet i just sleep on that side of the car as i can lay flat.