PDA

View Full Version : Empty Rod holders

mudnut
26th January 2015, 02:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a 4wd tour guide driving around with empty rod holders for most of an episode of the Offroad adventure show.

Are rules regarding the use of rod holders the same in all of Aus, as Vic?

Here, they are only supposed to be fitted when in use.

There are a lot of 4bys running around down my way with the bloody things permanently fitted.

threedogs
26th January 2015, 03:19 PM
I think they are a wank factor, unless you are doing Fraser island every week I cant for the life in me see why they need to be there.
Bloody dangerous as well no going to make much difference if your hit by a 4x4 but they will know which 4x4 by the 4 donut holes in the victim.
Plus its more fodder for the do gooders to get on our backs, We have a bad enough name atm without adding to it, remove them if not in use
its only a 5 min job, no excuses

the evil twin
26th January 2015, 03:30 PM
The law is aust wide because it isn't Rod Holder specific.
It is the 'opening up a pedestrian like a can of sardines' rule
(please, no inane comments about a couple of stitches being no issue if someone gets hit by a 3 tonne Patrol)

The mermaids like to do blitzs on Rod Holders over here in the Salmon season or if you fail the attitude test.

If all of the holder is behind the Bar it is OK.
If any part of it projects forward of the bar then it must be removed unless it is physically in use IE you are heading off or coming home from fishing and has the Rods in it.

mudnut
26th January 2015, 04:39 PM
I was wondering if a warning message could be shown on the forum ?

megatexture
26th January 2015, 05:10 PM
Wasted message IMO, Not as dangerous as a tow ball.
I don't keep mine on all the time but I don't see the fuss in getting nickers in a knot over it. I've been fined 60$ for it once before and couldn't care.
Next we won't be allowed bull bars.

ova50
26th January 2015, 05:37 PM
RMS NSW regs (pdf File)

mudnut
26th January 2015, 06:56 PM
Next we won't be allowed bull bars.

That debate has been going for years.

megatexture
26th January 2015, 09:01 PM
And unfortunately it's just a matter of time

Avo
26th January 2015, 10:54 PM
The law is aust wide because it isn't Rod Holder specific.
It is the 'opening up a pedestrian like a can of sardines' rule
(please, no inane comments about a couple of stitches being no issue if someone gets hit by a 3 tonne Patrol)

The mermaids like to do blitzs on Rod Holders over here in the Salmon season or if you fail the attitude test.

If all of the holder is behind the Bar it is OK.
If any part of it projects forward of the bar then it must be removed unless it is physically in use IE you are heading off or coming home from fishing and has the Rods in it.

I've been told by police that they aren't even legal with rods in them,believe it or not..they did let me leave them in there,

mudnut
26th January 2015, 11:09 PM
The file that Ova50 posted left no doubt that the over hanging holders are unroadworthy. I wonder if you had them fitted and were in a collision with another vehicle, whether your insurance company could cite them as a reason to reject your claim.

megatexture
26th January 2015, 11:48 PM
I've been told by police that they aren't even legal with rods in them,believe it or not..they did let me leave them in there,

Thats not the case in qld you can use them with rods but illegal if empty.. thats how petty this law is.

P4trol
27th January 2015, 12:52 AM
Well I want a new law stating that maxtrax can only be carried of you are coming and going from an approved 4wd destination. Too many posers!

SG1
27th January 2015, 11:09 AM
It amazes me some laws and can understand the theory on how it could possibly cause harm to a pedestrian if you were to run them over, but still doesn't mean I agree with it, as if you hit a pedestrian with a 3t patrol with a bulbar its going to do some damage regardless, then there is your hooks on winches or even recovery points underneath and a couple of diffs if they go under the vehicle that are surely all going to cause a really bad day for all in involved.

If I was allowed to use them I would have them on all the time, but then I would use them.

mudnut
27th January 2015, 01:18 PM
The law has been made to protect a victim in a survivable low-speed impact.

taslucas
28th January 2015, 01:27 PM
It amazes me some laws and can understand the theory on how it could possibly cause harm to a pedestrian if you were to run them over, but still doesn't mean I agree with it, as if you hit a pedestrian with a 3t patrol with a bulbar its going to do some damage regardless, then there is your hooks on winches or even recovery points underneath and a couple of diffs if they go under the vehicle that are surely all going to cause a really bad day for all in involved.

If I was allowed to use them I would have them on all the time, but then I would use them.

If you had to choose, would you prefer to be hit by a 50 km/hr patrol with, or without a rod holder in your stomach?

threedogs
28th January 2015, 01:35 PM
Really unless you were a professional fisherman, but I can't even see them using them.
We used to cart our surf rods around wired to the door handles but you cant do that on modern cars.
Whats wrong with carrying them on your roof rack, tie the front down and place a flag maybe on the back
if too long, see just saved you $50 from buying the stupid things in the first place

Punderhead
28th January 2015, 01:35 PM
The law has been made to protect a victim in a survivable low-speed impact.

That is correct, and I think it's actually quite a good law. It falls under the same category as not having sharp edges on your bullbar.

5 minutes if that to remove/refit when needed. If you do it regularly then you can get some that a lot in with a pin, 10 sec job.

No reson not to.

Hardyards
28th January 2015, 01:49 PM
"Whats wrong with carrying them on your roof rack, tie the front down and place a flag maybe on the back"

Some setups like mine don't have the roof rack to support this. I use my Rod holder when I visit the Cape/beaches to hold a surf rod and non-detachable bait caster. The boat is affixed to the top of the camper so no room there either. I am not a professional fisherman :trink13: barely rate as an amateur! The holders work for me, and I will be (now) taking it off when not in use. (My ute not a daily driver, only used for camping/fishing trips) Corrugations are very unforgiving to fishing gear not adequately stored.

megatexture
28th January 2015, 04:10 PM
Or don't get in front my car when I'm doing 50 kph and were all happy...

Avo
28th January 2015, 04:33 PM
yep just take em off when not in use...I had the local coppers stop me and asked me to spin them around behind the roo bar once,now I just whack em on when going down the coast..omly live a few km to the track so I'm fine..whan I got stopped before I was 1000km away from home with rods in them as I was coming back from up north..i think the cop was just having a bad day really..

Avo
28th January 2015, 04:34 PM
Really unless you were a professional fisherman, but I can't even see them using them.
We used to cart our surf rods around wired to the door handles but you cant do that on modern cars.
Whats wrong with carrying them on your roof rack, tie the front down and place a flag maybe on the back
if too long, see just saved you $50 from buying the stupid things in the first place

you do know that would have been illegal in it's day aswell..like a javlin or spear..tsk tsk you rebel

hempo
28th January 2015, 05:36 PM
I always take mine off when not in use.

For those of you in QLD

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Frequently-asked-questions-vehicle-standards-and-modifications.aspx#fishing

There are also links to the Minor Modifications on this link e.g. Aerials, Lift Kits, Exhaust etc

Cheers

Wizard52
28th January 2015, 06:32 PM
My rod holder comes off as soon as I get home from the beach as part of the cleaning process and takes an extra 3 minutes.

SG1
29th January 2015, 10:33 AM
I do understand why there illegal and don't use them and respect the law and peoples opinions on there use, it just sh!ts me how over regulated some things can be, but maybe I'm biased somewhat as I used to be a fishing guide and someone who could of used them most days and it would of been a hindrance taking them on and of just to go down and do some shopping and then put them back on again for work again the next day or even for an afternoon charter if no morning charters for example, maybe there should be exemptions to the rule but given the laws I never used them because of this, they could of been useful and better at times for me and my work if it was not such a pain with fitting and removing or running the risk of a fine and the looks and comments by others when not in use if you did have them fitted.

I did get pulled over one time due to having the rods mounted in the rear rod holders of the estuary/river boat, we could fit 8 across the rod holders above the bait board and engine, and looked really nice when stowed that way especially for the customers and was also less hassle for me with tangled rods and knocking them around ect, all securely tied in, I was asked to take them down and stow on the boats floor, which raised my concern that these could become a projectile in an accident but I didn mention it and just done as asked, got no fine out of it and moved on.

P4trol
31st January 2015, 11:19 AM
I think that's it. They are easy things to pick on, and fishermen are probably easy to approach.

(why do animal activists pick on ladies wearing mink coats? Because it's easier than picking on bikies in leather jackets!)

Crate
31st January 2015, 12:33 PM
I think that's it. They are easy things to pick on, and fishermen are probably easy to approach.

(why do animal activists pick on ladies wearing mink coats? Because it's easier than picking on bikies in leather jackets!)

Hahaha I can just imagine a bunch of greenies charging into a hells angels bar yelling about leather and how well that would go for them :-P

DIL380
31st January 2015, 07:25 PM
Just put your rods on the roof

Robo
2nd February 2015, 10:32 AM
So rod holders are illegal, side mirrors have to fold backwards for similar reasons.
What about bull bar mounted rack bars? .
you know so you can support something much longer than the roof top.
The pedestrian law would prob make them illegal also.
Its a solid object that would not allow a body to flex over the bar.
Instead reflect off and underneath and defeat the purpose of the law also.
Tow balls come off when not in use as they punch holes in cars in rear enders,insurance company's had a winge.
So should rod holders its the same principle, only now someones life's at stake.

led light bars have to be mounted in pairs as the laws require, get that one ! have a couple of pages on that one.

dave97
2nd February 2015, 10:38 AM
Heard a bloke got defected in far north sa because the country copper counted each LED as a forward facing light

(Regency laughed that one off and scrubbed the defect tho)

threedogs
2nd February 2015, 10:40 AM
you do know that would have been illegal in it's day aswell..like a javlin or spear..tsk tsk you rebel

No spear effect they were tied to the handle of a FC station wagon , surf rods back then made from Indian bamboo were aroung the 17 foot mark.
Usually with a 7000s egg beater of a 6" Alvey side cast.
Someone did come up with a gutter [roof] mount but they were cheap and nasty. The other alternative was to use two surf racks
as they were called tie the rods to them then tie the front dow to the grill and hang a flag off the back.
Talking illegal I used to go to footy when about 9-10yo in the back of a ute with 8 other kids, seemed normal ATT

threedogs
2nd February 2015, 10:49 AM
So rod holders are illegal, side mirrors have to fold backwards for similar reasons.
What about bull bar mounted rack bars? .
you know so you can support something much longer than the roof top.
The pedestrian law would prob make them illegal also.
Its a solid object that would not allow a body to flex over the bar.
Instead reflect off and underneath and defeat the purpose of the law also.
Tow balls come off when not in use as they punch holes in cars in rear enders,insurance company's had a winge.
So should rod holders its the same principle, only now someones life's at stake.

led light bars have to be mounted in pairs as the laws require, get that one ! have a couple of pages on that one.

I think you'll find the towball removal law was because the Ball obscured the number plate on most passenger cars,
I doubt you'd get pinged in a Patrol as the number plate is on the door.
Light bars are ok now seems to ppl in power caught up with reallity.
Not sure on those pipe rack extensions some ,plumbers, concreters and carpet ppl use.
I had one on my other 4x4 worked a treat bur never left in on

hsinlee
14th February 2015, 06:43 PM
RMS NSW regs (pdf File)

Thank you for sharing the guide.

Rexzilla
16th February 2015, 09:35 PM
I got pulled over a couple of years ago for speeding and they made me remove my rod holder (we were going on holiday, only reason I had it on) they told me I could remove it on the spot or face a $75 fine, it's probably more than that now.
Now I only put it on once I get to my destination.

Mr-T
2nd May 2015, 01:15 PM
I have my Rod holder mounted to the back of roof rack with a rubber rod clip on the front to protect the rods from movement and damage by the front of the rack.
The rods are better off lying flat anyway so they don't sick up in the air and get wiped out by trees.

Mr-T
2nd May 2015, 01:19 PM
Regarding the tow hitch removal.
I take mine off to prevent someone from taking it off for themselves and I put it in my rear draw with the pin as well cos someone took that once when it was left in. If it's easy to remove someone will take it.

Thieving buggas!