PDA

View Full Version : GQ ARB Bullbar fitting.

Jimmyboyjr4
19th January 2015, 07:42 AM
Hey all,

Anybody by any chance have a copy of the fitting instructions? I bought one of eBay but I want to check I'm not missing any thing before I chuck it on the Maverick.

Cheers!

BigRAWesty
19th January 2015, 07:51 AM
Simple as mate. Slide the captive nut plates in, and put in the holding bolt.
Then slide the bar on and install the 6 bolts

Jimmyboyjr4
19th January 2015, 07:53 AM
When you get a kit is it just the bullbar? or are there other parts? (mounting stuff, bracket etc)

Drewboyaus
19th January 2015, 08:20 AM
You should also have 2 mounting plates with captive nuts that slide inside the chassis rail with the bolts to suit..

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Jimmyboyjr4
20th January 2015, 08:35 PM
So I just went went and picked up the bar, I'm really happy with it and it's in pretty good condition. On the back though there is a slight bit of surface rust, I've never treated rust before though. I was thinking about sanding it back, priming it and then painting it with POR15 as it seem pretty good for the application. Is this the best way to deal with this?

Jimmyboyjr4
20th January 2015, 08:45 PM
Although after looking at prices I may not usr POR15 yet, anything cheaper I could use? or should I just bite the bullet and speak to a powder coater? As from what I've read its not too expensive and will last a lot longer than any I can repaint it with.

Drewboyaus
20th January 2015, 09:01 PM
Pretty sure a number of folks have just primed and then used a black spray pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Jimmyboyjr4
20th January 2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks, I had thought of that and given it's in a fairly hidden spot I'm not too concerned of the look either. Just want something fairly resilient, this 3 step KBS stuff looks the goods plus given I wanted to give a few thing under the frame nice coat it might be a good purchase.

threedogs
21st January 2015, 08:49 AM
Although after looking at prices I may not usr POR15 yet, anything cheaper I could use? or should I just bite the bullet and speak to a powder coater? As from what I've read its not too expensive and will last a lot longer than any I can repaint it with.

First you would need to sand blast the bar about $100 then powder coated about the same.
if you get it powder coated dont forget to get it clear coated as well.
POR15 is an awesome product,,,but have not heard of ppl doing a bullbar though

BigRAWesty
21st January 2015, 09:17 AM
Just to remove any shock.
I priced a blast and re powder coat for a bloke who wanted me to mod his bar...

$500....

liftlid
21st January 2015, 09:23 AM
I had one done last year $270 inc blast and powder coat black.

Jimmyboyjr4
21st January 2015, 11:40 PM
I got a quote today from one in my area, $150 for the powder coat and $100 for the sand blasting. They seemed quite professional and have very decent equipment, think I'll go for it!

mudski
21st January 2015, 11:57 PM

Once you use POR15 you will want to do everything on your car in it. Best stuff ever.

Jimmyboyjr4
22nd January 2015, 10:34 AM
I plan to do a general clean up of the unders with POR15 especially the diffs, they are feeling a little rough at the moment.

threedogs
22nd January 2015, 12:11 PM
Once you use POR15 you will want to do everything on your car in it. Best stuff ever.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Por-15-Rust-Prevention-Paint-500ml-/261195150816?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd071b5e0

Phenominal stuff POR15 and would be perfect for diffs wont be wearing POR15 off in a hurry.
Have a look at some chassis's on the better hot rods awesome finish

Instead of sand blasting there is a process where they burn it off a bit cheaper to.
after its blasted you might want to think about extra antenna lugs or Lightbar brackets