PDA

View Full Version : Camp pizzas!

AB
17th January 2015, 09:07 PM
I've been conjuring up some ideas for best ways to cook pizzas whilst camping on the fire.

Yeah I know, can't help myself, love pizzas!!!

I've never actually done a pizza in the camp oven, I'm sure they're good but....

Thinking of a grill type stand over a small flame or hot coals with a very dense stone (marble) base cut in a circle slightly bigger then your pizza to sit on the grill with a webber lid which is also 10-20mm bigger circumference then the marble to circulate the smoke.

Even throw some hickory or flavours on the coals!!! ;)

Winnie
17th January 2015, 09:15 PM
I've been conjuring up some ideas for best ways to cook pizzas whilst camping on the fire.

Yeah I know, can't help myself, love pizzas!!!

I've never actually done a pizza in the camp oven, I'm sure they're good but....

Thinking of a grill type stand over a small flame or hot coals with a very dense stone (marble) base cut in a circle slightly bigger then your pizza to sit on the grill with a webber lid which is also 10-20mm bigger circumference then the marble to circulate the smoke.

Even throw some hickory or flavours on the coals!!! ;)

So what is your question? Sounds like you've got it sorted and I can't wait for you to make me one =)

SonOf
17th January 2015, 09:18 PM
The lid would need to be larger than the stone to allow the heat to circulate around more easy? Also terracott would also work and be lighter

Hodge
17th January 2015, 09:20 PM
Andy I Just put a webber pizza stone on a camping bbq over or near the fire and make a dome shaped cover out of foil. They come up a treat!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54055&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54056&stc=1

Woof
17th January 2015, 09:21 PM
Possum is the Camp Oven Pizza guru AB...................just burns himself every-time though....LOL

MudRunnerTD
17th January 2015, 09:32 PM
In my Cobb :p

BigRAWesty
17th January 2015, 09:38 PM
We made ours on alfoil, made them easy to move about the table, then simply slide it onto the trivet and drop into the oven.
Had roughly 50/50 coals top and bottom but didn't have the oven smoking. Just ticking along.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y387/BigGQWesty/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/DSC_0130_zpsepmhn90v.jpg (http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/BigGQWesty/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/DSC_0130_zpsepmhn90v.jpg.html)

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y387/BigGQWesty/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/IMG_506957980537803_zpsubclna7l.jpeg (http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/BigGQWesty/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/IMG_506957980537803_zpsubclna7l.jpeg.html)

jack
17th January 2015, 09:39 PM
Just get it perfected before the meetup AB, can't wait.

HuskyInAuz
17th January 2015, 09:42 PM
Terracotta pizza stone... wouldn't cook a pizza with out it.

AB
17th January 2015, 09:47 PM
So what is your question? Sounds like you've got it sorted and I can't wait for you to make me one =)

The trick is Winnie to sit back and read everyone's way that they do it.

You then steal their ideas and claim it as your own.

The perfect crime ;)

Winnie
17th January 2015, 10:05 PM
The trick is Winnie to sit back and read everyone's way that they do it.

You then steal their ideas and claim it as your own.

The perfect crime ;)

Like when I sit back and watch you make this delicious pizza.
Then I steal the pizza and claim as my own.
The delicious crime =)

katwoman
17th January 2015, 10:17 PM
I dunno about methods, but we had custard pizza last week end and it was yummo.

the evil twin
17th January 2015, 10:32 PM
Don't you just use a limp wrist, overdo the oil up, wear lycra and sip on a nice Rose' to make a Camp Pizza?

Drewboyaus
17th January 2015, 10:59 PM
Don't you just use a limp wrist, overdo the oil up, wear lycra and sip on a nice Rose' to make a Camp Pizza?

Damn, that's deep ET......

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

the evil twin
17th January 2015, 11:04 PM
Damn forgot to add an absolute must... listen to at least 3 consecutive Village People tracks whilst she be cookin'

Avo
17th January 2015, 11:19 PM
I might just say a quick something...............Mrs possum makes the bestest ever camp oven pizza ever.scallops,smoked salmon and prawns..

TPC
18th January 2015, 12:07 AM
I might just say a quick something...............Mrs possum makes the bestest ever camp oven pizza ever.scallops,smoked salmon and prawns..
I am drooling now.

the evil twin
18th January 2015, 12:40 AM
WHAT!!!! ... No Anchovies? ... Darn

Stropp
18th January 2015, 03:26 AM

I can attest that is the best camp oven pizza I have eaten to date, mrs P certainly cooks a mean pizza while MR P does a great job of burning himself.

megatexture
18th January 2015, 01:42 PM
Do you all make your own bases? And is the base pre baked ? I like a thin base myself anyone got a good recipe they have used not just one they googled lol

growler2058
18th January 2015, 01:46 PM
AB sounds like a great idea. You can use me as your guinea pig on thursday night mate :)

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 01:52 PM

I do disagree lol.
My pick is a blue cheese, pancetta and rocket topping on a garlic oil sauce.

Do you all make your own bases? And is the base pre baked ? I like a thin base myself anyone got a good recipe they have used not just one they googled lol

And yes. Always make it.
We use a pizza flour, yeast and warm water, set aside to prove for about and hour and then roll out.
It's a normal crust but goes crusty outside and fluffy inside.
Can't beat it

megatexture
18th January 2015, 02:06 PM
Yours looks more like a focaccia with the fluffy base

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 02:12 PM
Yours looks more like a focaccia with the fluffy base

That was the kids pizza. Lol

Stropp
18th January 2015, 04:00 PM
I do disagree lol.
My pick is a blue cheese, pancetta and rocket topping on it

Bloody fairy what's wrong with you new age poofs :) meat meat and more meat or seafood seafood and more seafood!

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 04:07 PM
Bloody fairy what's wrong with you new age poofs :) meat meat and more meat or seafood seafood and more seafood!

Ow for sure mate. I'm not one to usually go those pizzas. But if it keeps the wife happy.

When doing them at home in the wood oven they are usually 3 inches thick of the 5 different meats and 3 types of cheeses with maybe some olives and capsicum to make it healthy... er...

the evil twin
18th January 2015, 04:16 PM

Stropp, old mate, these guys are making 'Camp' Pizza after all... Gay Times for Desert anyone?

Winnie
18th January 2015, 04:18 PM
Ow for sure mate. I'm not one to usually go those pizzas. But if it keeps the wife happy.

When doing them at home in the wood oven they are usually 3 inches thick of the 5 different meats and 3 types of cheeses with maybe some olives and capsicum to make it healthy... er...

Bloody hell mate stick to an opinion? And don't just change your mind because somebody disagrees!

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 04:24 PM
Bloody hell mate stick to an opinion? And don't just change your mind because somebody disagrees!

What's wrong liking 2 different pizzas???
I like gourmet.. But if I'm making it its Gunnar be over the top meat lovers.

I didn't rip my gu4 look alike lights off coz you don't like them???

threedogs
18th January 2015, 04:25 PM
If you make your own dough I would think you need to
hold the lid up a tad to allow it to breathe and let the moisture out.
Doesn't seem to be enough pizza if doing one at a time IMO
Especially with all the Vultures looking on "is it ready yet" lol
Seeing most only have 12" camp ovens

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 04:25 PM
Stropp, old mate, these guys are making 'Camp' Pizza after all... Gay Times for Desert anyone?

What's wrong with gay times??
A good old favourite.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 04:27 PM
If you make your own dough I would think you need to
hold the lid up a tad to allow it to breathe and let the moisture out.
Doesn't seem to be enough pizza if doing one at a time IMO
Especially with all the Vultures looking on "is it ready yet" lol

I was checking every couple of mins so yea that probably let the moisture out.. But ours are always spot on.

threedogs
18th January 2015, 04:34 PM
I like making bread at camp way better than damper just takes a bit longer.
but Damper butter and golden syrup is up there especially if still hot.
Instead of COT throw the lid on the fire for a few minutes less chance of ash in the pizza

BigRAWesty
18th January 2015, 04:50 PM
I like making bread at camp way better than damper just takes a bit longer.
but Damper butter and golden syrup is up there especially if still hot.
Instead of COT throw the lid on the fire for a few minutes less chance of ash in the pizza

Very good idea. Lid can re heat every 5-10 mins while you load the next pizza in

Avo
18th January 2015, 08:46 PM

Mrs possum uses pizza flour,olive oil and yeast with warm water,you can buy the boxes of flour at woollies and make it as the reciepy says Mega

Avo
18th January 2015, 08:58 PM
you can put your lid upside down first and use that as your pizza tray,then just lift your campoven over the top..i have been told by a few people this is how to do it so it's easy to get the pizza out but we have never had a drama.

HuskyInAuz
18th January 2015, 10:33 PM

I can send you one from daughters restaurants they make a few a day (100+)... She said the key with fresh dough at home is to toast the dough on one side first, flip it over and then add a few ingredients.

megatexture
19th January 2015, 12:13 AM
Cheers mate ill pm you my email. And thanks for the tip

Mrs possum uses pizza flour,olive oil and yeast with warm water,you can buy the boxes of flour at woollies and make it as the reciepy says Mega

This sounds easy so I'll give this a go also cheers

Drewboyaus
19th January 2015, 08:33 AM
you can put your lid upside down first and use that as your pizza tray,then just lift your campoven over the top..i have been told by a few people this is how to do it so it's easy to get the pizza out but we have never had a drama.

That's a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Avo
22nd May 2016, 04:04 PM
Some pics from last night...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Avo
22nd May 2016, 04:05 PM
Some pics from last night...

Cheers mate ill pm you my email. And thanks for the tip

This sounds easy so I'll give this a go also cheers

Avo
22nd May 2016, 04:06 PM
Ah f&ck it

Avo
22nd May 2016, 04:07 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/276.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/277.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/278.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/279.jpg

Woof
22nd May 2016, 04:10 PM
How many times did you burn yourself??

Avo
22nd May 2016, 04:14 PM
How many times did you burn yourself??

still counting..making bread now and then beef stew and dumplings for tea,Bella will do the dumplings
...Mrs Avo is flat out doing study so i have the run of the fire.....
and thanks for fixing my f&ck up...

the evil twin
22nd May 2016, 04:50 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/276.jpg

Thats the best Sphincter Cake I have seen in ages.

Betcha it tasted Yummo's

I can never get the centre of the freckle to work out right

Avo
22nd May 2016, 05:00 PM
Thats the best Sphincter Cake I have seen in ages.

Betcha it tasted Yummo's

I can never get the centre of the freckle to work out right

yeah have top make a meme out of it i reckon,just for some arseholes birthday

Avo
22nd May 2016, 05:55 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/288.jpg and some bread.....next is neef stew

rusty00
22nd May 2016, 06:44 PM
This is what we use for pizza, baking and roasts, works a treat
Not just on gas but on hot coals
http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/products/category/EUPCKBXT-camp-cooking/2807

Softy
22nd May 2016, 06:55 PM

Very cool.. never seen one of them before.. Might have to invest in one.

rusty00
22nd May 2016, 08:00 PM
Very cool.. never seen one of them before.. Might have to invest in one.

They are as cheap ad $20, just search on line.
Dig a hole place coals in hole fill in with dirt and place some more Coals on top place oven.
I use a bit of flat steel 5mm thick on the base to help keep the heat transferring.

BigRAWesty
22nd May 2016, 08:03 PM
Avo.. get a dog up ya..
That's look awesome..
Garlic prawns I'm guessing

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

threedogs
23rd May 2016, 01:36 PM
This thread needs more pics of the finished meal.
Like the Furphy 1992 oven reckon it weighs a ton
and cooks a treat,
They cost a fortune these days to buy

threedogs
23rd May 2016, 06:12 PM

Do you just use the silver base when cooking, Id think youd need to brown
the base some how,??

Avo
23rd May 2016, 07:59 PM
Nah 3D that was just to put it on,all the [pizza's are just cooked straight on the base....

Stropp
24th May 2016, 12:15 AM
Are these pizzas gay? Just asking as they are camp 😋

Avo
24th May 2016, 12:26 AM
Are these pizzas gay? Just asking as they are camp 😋

of course they are....

threedogs
24th May 2016, 06:52 PM

Looks a bit more user friendly than just using a camp oven, something else to take ,,,,,,,why not lol

PeeBee
12th October 2016, 10:40 PM
Guys I am running a fund raiser promo for the AB engine build and have a full Gwendoline's Combi oven package that makes great pizza,s - in fact it's purpose built for it from the ground up. Have a look at www.davesstuff.net for some photos and background. The promo price for the AB fund is $500, one only at this price and sale price goes 100% to that account.

MB
13th October 2016, 12:16 AM
EPIPHANY, SOLD :-)
It is the perfect new family tucker challenge for us.
AB's High Country 'Cobb' vs MB's new 'Gwen'.
(We too share 'Stuff' & tucker like your website mentions Dave and Phil in the HC)
You are a true Philanthropist PBBIZ2 !
All shall be repaid as best can be during the next Church donk party via a big earth stationary Pizza oven :-)
Attendees be aware, the ovens mud was lovingly mixed by the nastiest Bunyip's bare feet unknown to man!

Winnie
13th October 2016, 07:39 AM
Very much looking forward to the next camping trip with MB!

AB
13th October 2016, 08:06 AM
(We too share 'Stuff' & tucker like your website mentions Dave and Phil in the HC)
All shall be repaid as best can be during the next Church donk party via a big earth stationary Pizza oven :-)
Attendees be aware, the ovens mud was lovingly mixed by the nastiest Bunyip's bare feet unknown to man!

Oh god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
13th October 2016, 09:23 AM

Bastard!! I have been looking at it thinking maybe I should sell my Cobb. Can't wait to check it out. Looks awesome.