PDA

View Full Version : All Terrains

Chambo Off to Work We Go
3rd July 2010, 11:40 AM
I am due to get new tyres in the next 10,000 km and was wondering what people rate as the best All Terrain tyre for sand, touring and bush track work.

I have the stock Bridgestone D693s at the moment, but was looking at something just a tad more aggressive such as;

Bridgestone D694
Cooper ST
The Goodrich All terrain ATko or something like that
Yokohama Geolander.

Anyoen got anything good or bad to say about those or a recommendation for something else.

I mainly do a reasonable amount of sand(beach) work in summer.

Cheers

patch697
3rd July 2010, 12:05 PM
If this is a daily driven 4x4 & given what you intend to do (IMO only) I think the BF Goodrich All terrain is a very capable tyre off road. thay are nice to drive on the black stuff & thay are not overly noisy either.

The subject of sand driving is a well debated one but in my experience if your tyre pressure is right for the conditions you can pretty much use any tyre, within reason of course.

Cheers
Paul

GQ4.2
3rd July 2010, 03:53 PM
I run a set of 31" Goodyear Wrangler AT's, they seem to be holding up well for road use

Chambo Off to Work We Go
4th July 2010, 03:19 PM
Yes not so worried about the tyre for sand work.
But probably on the touring and other off road stuff.
Don't do enough mud stuff to justify going to muddies.

So I have decided to stay with All terrains, but something just a little more chunky.

patch697
4th July 2010, 06:05 PM
Yes not so worried about the tyre for sand work.
But probably on the touring and other off road stuff.
Don't do enough mud stuff to justify going to muddies.

So I have decided to stay with All terrains, but something just a little more chunky.

Have a look at the BF A/T they are good on price & well rated (wear rating) for what you intend to do.

Cheers
Paul

Chambo Off to Work We Go
14th July 2010, 10:39 PM
Going from 275/65/17 (790mm circumference) to say 285/70/17 (831mm) is there a risk with brake failure?
The web site (1010tires.com) that gives you the comparisions seems to indicate that going more than 3% larger increases this risk.

This site indicates this increase is 5%.

I have a 2" suspension lift and understand that this size should fit ok as it is comparable size to 33s and that many Patrol drivers fit this size with this lift.

Not sure whether to go to 265/70/17 which is about the same circumference as my 275/65/17s.

Looked at a set of Mickey T A/Ts the other day but they only come in 285/70 or 265/70.

All getting a bit confusing which way to go.
Maybe if a few of you have changed up a size with a similar set-up that will help me decide.

patch697
15th July 2010, 12:01 AM
Going from 275/65/17 (790mm circumference) to say 285/70/17 (831mm) is there a risk with brake failure?
The web site (1010tires.com) that gives you the comparisions seems to indicate that going more than 3% larger increases this risk.

This site indicates this increase is 5%.

I have a 2" suspension lift and understand that this size should fit ok as it is comparable size to 33s and that many Patrol drivers fit this size with this lift.

Not sure whether to go to 265/70/17 which is about the same circumference as my 275/65/17s.

Looked at a set of Mickey T A/Ts the other day but they only come in 285/70 or 265/70.

All getting a bit confusing which way to go.
Maybe if a few of you have changed up a size with a similar set-up that will help me decide.

Mate that is a well debated subject right there??????

Tyre size is a funny subject in the sense that I could take the wheels off my truck that don't scrub & put them on a truck with the same set up & thay will scrub so its a hard one to call for you.

I run 33/11.5's on my LWB 1990 Mav with 3' lift & thay are fine with no guard mods but the style of off road I do doesn't warrant big flex either so you need to consider the type of Terrain you intend to drive as well.

As for the braking side Engineers are your best bet for the correct answer on that but also keep in mind what your insurance will cover you for as well as this might be a bigger deciding factor rather then what fits & what don't.

I know this may not seem to be helpful but like I said what works on one doesn't mean it will work on another & theirs no point in doing your dosh on a claim over your tyre choice.

Cheers
Paul

TimE
15th July 2010, 12:31 PM
I run Mickey Thompson FC IIs on 16X8 Black Kings steel wheels on my GU IV. I run the 16" wheels for two reasons, tyres are a lot cheaper than 17s and the choice and availability in 16" is far better, and they look tuff too. (My 17" alloys are in the shed.)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/timber93au/DSC03518edited.jpg

I would regard these as the best performing and wearing tyres I have run. In the past I have tried Kumho, Bridgestone, Hankook and Pirellis A/Ts and muddies.

Chambo Off to Work We Go
10th September 2010, 12:24 AM
Just thought I would let you know I went for the Cooper STs in the end.
Haven't tested them out much yet.
Not overly noisier on the road.

patch697
10th September 2010, 12:32 AM
Just thought I would let you know I went for the Cooper STs in the end.
Haven't tested them out much yet.
Not overly noisier on the road.

When you've done some driving on them mate, post some feedback in the link below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?899-Tyre-Feedback-Cooper

Its a new tyre sub forum thats juat been started here by nisspat & the more feedback we can get on here the better & easier it will make it for others to choose there next set of tyres.

Cheers
Paul

Chambo Off to Work We Go
13th September 2010, 08:51 PM
Will do.

Heading to the Loveday 4x4 park on October long weekend.
So I expect they will get a good testing.
Mostly sand and mud there, not so much rock stuff.

Challenging enough to render a verdict however.

Finly Owner
13th September 2010, 11:23 PM
yeah my bridestones have lasted better than expected and only just gettingminor noise now down on minimum tread.

Chambo Off to Work We Go
24th September 2010, 09:13 PM
OK will do .
Going to the Loveday 4x4 playpark in SA on Oct long weekend.
Probably get to see how they go pretty well.

Have noticed a slight drop in fuel economy in the last 3 weeks since I had them.

Chambo Off to Work We Go
24th September 2010, 09:14 PM
Must be going senile.
Have responded twice to the same thing.

More beer, more beer, more beer!

wildgu6
29th September 2010, 11:28 PM
did quite a bit of research on all 4 of the above tyres, get off road as much as possible. after a lot of advice i settled on the AT-KOs and couldnt be happier with the results from them both on and off road. been an Adelaidian myself, places like Goolwa, the flinders and loveday (comp track) have proved no trouble at all for the AT KOs as the name implies,
the tread is aggressive enough to handle the rough stuff, but not that aggressive that the bitumen will heat them up and start shredding them.

cheers,

tariadamar
27th October 2010, 09:35 PM
dude go the bf's at's they go great off road and on road my dad runs them got 90 000 out of the last set and they have done alot of off road work hunting and a few trips through qld and nsw.

Chambo Off to Work We Go
27th October 2010, 11:15 PM
The STs went fine at the playpark. Although probably not a hell of a lot different to the stock Bridgestones.
I guess we'll see how they go over the journey.

Not an overly cheap tyre, but it beats the $800 per tyre they've got on the monster truck up there.
They're probably sponsored by Micky T and for that sort of coin you would want to be.

ilikedonuts_10
10th December 2010, 08:00 PM
Is there much difference in price between the BFG all terrains and the coopers?

BlackOIL
5th April 2012, 12:00 AM
im a block back from the beach and compared between the cooper st and the geolanders... i found the geolanders griped better on the sand... but thats just me

megatexture
5th April 2012, 01:03 AM
geolanders are slightly less agressive then the st's one would expect them to dig in less and handle better .