PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island one dayer.

MEGOMONSTER
17th January 2015, 10:03 AM
My first trip to a Fraser Island was amazing.
Loved it all the way. So much to see and take in.
Took these as we entered Teewah beach for the start of our beach run up the coast.

Then I think up past Double Island Point to Rainbow beach, or the other way around, can't remember.

The beautiful rainbow sands

A happy snap with Double island point in the background.

Waiting for the barge to take us to Fraser Island

Drive up the east side of the island to Eurong and headed inland to the majestic Lake Mckenzie.
I can't begin to tell you how beautiful this was.
Soft fine white sand and crystal clear freshwater lake in the middle of the world biggest sand island.
We spent a few hours swimming in the lake

Natalie got bitten by an ant

This is back on the barge going back to the main land.
$150k plus BMW X5 taken to Fraser Island, trying to beat the high tide, but failing.

Got very very very very very lucky to make it back to the barge.

At first thought everything was OK, apart from being stupid enough to take it to Fraser and drive back to the barge at high tide.

On closer inspection things weren't so pretty.

Low profile run flat tyres, so can't air down, blew out front and rear tyres on the trees that hang out the sand cos he didn't want to get the car wet

Had it slowed down or stopped when they blew out and bogged down in the sand with a rapidly rising tide, car would have been finished.

Made it off the barge and off the sand safety waiting for a tow truck, as he waves goodbye to $150 grand.

And we also saw this Patrol and three rusted out Land croozers

This is my favourite shot looking back at the barge towards Fraser Island.

Then a boring inland drive home, short cut through the bush of course and crossing the only bridge that actually crosses over the Noosa river.
A tiny old wood bridge where the Noosa river was merely a metre wide and a trickle of water.

threedogs
17th January 2015, 10:08 AM
lookas awesome thanks for sharing.
That bite looked painful ouch

lucus30
17th January 2015, 10:14 AM
Oh man that looks awesome its on my one day list for sure

TPC
17th January 2015, 10:20 AM
One of my favorite places.
Good to see Lake McKenzie is looking good again, in 2012 it was overfull with little beach and dirty green water because of the amount of rain they had.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54032&stc=1

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54031&stc=1

Hodge
17th January 2015, 10:37 AM
Awesome photos Mick. Beautiful bit of country.... One day maybe.

Rossco
17th January 2015, 11:25 AM
Nice one Mick, Fraser is pretty beautiful. Did you guys hire a car? Doesn't look like much fun in that stupid X5. . . A bit silly really. We did it years ago and hired a Jimny, it was perfect, drove everywhere easy.

MEGOMONSTER
17th January 2015, 11:49 AM
Nice one Mick, Fraser is pretty beautiful. Did you guys hire a car? Doesn't look like much fun in that stupid X5. . . A bit silly really. We did it years ago and hired a Jimny, it was perfect, drove everywhere easy. no we didn't hire a car, we took a tour.
There was a group of three Toyota hire cars that we saw on the barge. Rusty pieces of junk but I guess will do the job required.

Rossco
17th January 2015, 11:57 AM
Yeah nice one. We saw heaps of hire troopies full of backpackers, they were getting stuck a bit. Probably a bit of driver error too but. You wouldn't want to buy a second hand one of those hire cars . . .

TPC
17th January 2015, 01:20 PM
In 2006 we watched a Troopie full of back packers having several attempts to get off the beach through soft sand to Dilli Village and we drove through first go with camper trailers on the back.

Ben-e-boy
17th January 2015, 02:50 PM
You didnt even drop by and say hello you rude bugger.
You miss out on a nice drive tomorrow too, well within your capabilities, hell I was going to show you where shit creek is, only half a dozen people know my super secret squirrel spot is.

MEGOMONSTER
17th January 2015, 05:17 PM
You didnt even drop by and say hello you rude bugger. Haven't had much spare time whilst up here, we went an visited Lonicus while up here. Only a five minute drive from Noosa. How far are you?
You miss out on a nice drive tomorrow too, well within your capabilities, hell I was going to show you where shit creek is, only half a dozen people know my super secret squirrel spot is. We fly out tomorrow, and Camry I'm driving would have showed me exactly where Shit Creek is and how far I'm up it. Lol

Ben-e-boy
17th January 2015, 05:27 PM
Haven't had much spare time whilst up here, we went an visited Lonicus while up here. Only a five minute drive from Noosa. How far are you? We fly out tomorrow, and Camry I'm driving would have showed me exactly where Shit Creek is and how far I'm up it. Lol

Oh well. Drive up next time :D

MEGOMONSTER
17th January 2015, 11:48 PM
Oh well. Drive up next time :D
Already starting to talk about it for next years Xmas break.