PDA

View Full Version : What 2 look for in a second hand camping trailer???

NissanGQ4.2
16th January 2015, 07:01 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Was speaking to a mate today 2 see if he had a double foam mattress I could borrow for the meetup a Kris's unfortunately he didn't but said his camping trailer is available to take if I wanted it.

After some more chatting found out he was selling it and had someone lined up 2 buy it but it wasn't a done deal, called him every name under the sun for not telling me first and he turned around and said for a grand its yours.

So what should I be looking for in a second hand camping trailer???

Cheers Toddie

secondhand

Bloodyaussie
16th January 2015, 07:06 PM
Fwark mate a grand is cheap as long as it is not a piece of crap.

NissanGQ4.2
16th January 2015, 07:12 PM
Fwark mate a grand is cheap as long as it is not a piece of crap.

I don't think its a piece of crap, I'm pretty sure it was a normal box trailer converted to a camper. Has the gas bottle holder and jerry can holder etc.... he's going to throw in everything he normally takes away, cutlery, pots pans etc. Only thing he said wasn't going with it was the BBQ he used.

Going around tomorrow to have a look at it and will take some pics.

Just want to know what to look for, I know its not an off-road trailer but that's not a major issue why I'm not towing it behind the patrol anyway

AB
16th January 2015, 07:13 PM
Quality of canvas and condition of canvas is a big thing in my books.

UV deteriorates canvas and it turns into paper mâché with the old campers.

When inspecting toddy feel the thickness and push every nook and cranny with your finger to see if it looks like it could tear.

My brother just bought one real cheap and I can punch holes in every part of it due to uv over time.

Cuppa
16th January 2015, 07:45 PM
Ask your mate let you try it out for the Nisshead do to let you decide if it’s what you want. Setups/layouts are a personal thing, what suits some may not suit others.

Clunk
16th January 2015, 08:22 PM
I find wheels are rather handy

bigkevlittletruck
16th January 2015, 09:05 PM
Mate for a grand you can't go wrong long as its not gonna fall apart. use it for a couple years get the feel then up grade

katwoman
16th January 2015, 11:36 PM
We bought a cheap one once, towed it to SA and back.. Straight back on ebay.. It was the biggest piece of crap we've ever had. It was brand new, tent on trailer job. But rain water got into it, as we were travelling and got everthing wet. It was an absolute b!tch to set up. Be very wary. $1000 will buy you alot of swags and tarps. Or it could be the best thing you ever buy ! I would ask to at least set it up, and def check canvas, zips, flywire ect. Rust marks inside trailer where water may be getting in, tyres wearing evenly. And, yeah, if he lets you borrow it for a w/end, even better.

kevin07
16th January 2015, 11:49 PM
We bought a cheap one once, towed it to SA and back.. Straight back on ebay.. It was the biggest piece of crap we've ever had. It was brand new, tent on trailer job. But rain water got into it, as we were travelling and got everthing wet. It was an absolute b!tch to set up. Be very wary. $1000 will buy you alot of swags and tarps. Or it could be the best thing you ever buy ! I would ask to at least set it up, and def check canvas, zips, flywire ect. Rust marks inside trailer where water may be getting in, tyres wearing evenly. And, yeah, if he lets you borrow it for a w/end, even better.
chinese one katwoman im guessing

katwoman
16th January 2015, 11:51 PM
chinese one katwoman im guessing

Could of been. Didnt keep it long enough to find out. I'm happy with my aussie made Kanga now.

mudnut
16th January 2015, 11:58 PM
Also check for mildew on the canvas, mattress and inside the trailer. Check that it isn't too heavy to set it up and pack it away by yourself.

NissanGQ4.2
17th January 2015, 06:49 AM
Could of been. Didnt keep it long enough to find out. I'm happy with my aussie made Kanga now.

"Aussie made" by overseas parts by overseas workers living in Victoria *L*

threedogs
17th January 2015, 10:00 AM
Canvas as all the mechanical things are easily repaired.
Set it up and check all canvas and flyscreens

BigRAWesty
17th January 2015, 10:19 AM
Quality of canvas and condition of canvas is a big thing in my books.

UV deteriorates canvas and it turns into paper mâché with the old campers.

When inspecting toddy feel the thickness and push every nook and cranny with your finger to see if it looks like it could tear.

My brother just bought one real cheap and I can punch holes in every part of it due to uv over time.

Especially the roof. Check the roof.
But also get a demo.
Some tents are a bloody mission to erect. My parents all the roof bars stay in the roof, one piece.. You simply slip in the legs and extend.

To be honest 1000 won't get you much. But if it's a basic trailer it means you can make it how you like.
Simple 200 buck stainless kitchen off eBay for the tailgate, and 70ltr tank and that's the basics done. You've got a good base for $1500...