PDA

View Full Version : air filters

aj_vmax
14th January 2015, 07:00 PM
Hello guys and girls, hope everybody had a blast over the xmas break. I did a few klms in the patrol now time to give her a service. Is there a huge advantage to using k&n air filters I am looking at changing over to them

MEGOMONSTER
14th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Hello guys and girls, hope everybody had a blast over the xmas break. I did a few klms in the patrol now time to give her a service. Is there a huge advantage to using k&n air filters I am looking at changing over to them

I have now two K&N filters that I alternate before every service and after every bush,dusty trip as I would like the vest airflow possible.
The Nissan paper filter is a great filter for normal road driving.

The best advantage is not having to buy another filter as I just wash clean and re oil the spare filter.
You do get a little more power with the better air flow, and for a 3lt you need all the power you can get. Lol

mudski
14th January 2015, 11:21 PM
I do exactly the same....

Clunk
14th January 2015, 11:50 PM
got one in my TD42 but unlike the rich bastards above, I keep a paper one as a spare for when the K&N is being cleaned up etc etc etc

mudski
15th January 2015, 09:25 AM
got one in my TD42 but unlike the rich bastards above, I keep a paper one as a spare for when the K&N is being cleaned up etc etc etc

Stop being such a tighty. Lol. One k&n is not even double the price of a paper element.

threedogs
15th January 2015, 09:30 AM
How do the sensors go with the oil fumes ?

mudski
15th January 2015, 01:53 PM
How do the sensors go with the oil fumes ?

No fumes from the air cleaner oil mate...

threedogs
15th January 2015, 01:56 PM
Remember a post a while back when fumes from something affected a sensor,
might of been using sikaflex not 100%

Winnie
15th January 2015, 02:18 PM
Stop being such a tighty. Lol. One k&n is not even double the price of a paper element.

The recharge kit is about as much as a paper element though, but it does do at least two recharges.

MEGOMONSTER
15th January 2015, 02:39 PM
$42 out of the Uk delivered to my door. For a filter.

megatexture
15th January 2015, 07:26 PM
The recharge kit is about as much as a paper element though, but it does do at least two recharges.

Isn't it just oil? Go to the local fish and chip shop I'm sure they would give you heaps

the evil twin
15th January 2015, 07:33 PM
No fumes from the air cleaner oil mate...

Agree but with a rider for engines tha are known to be sensitive to MAF issues...
Don't use too much oil when you load the filter after a service and definitely don't put the filter staright back in.
Give it a 1/2 hour or so after oiling.

On my Chevy I could probably start it up and tip a litre down the snork and let God, Gravity and Dumb Luck sort it out but on the other end of the scale a CRD?... not so much

mudski
16th January 2015, 10:34 AM

The spray on recharge kit does the filter around six times and wasn't that dear. I'll see if I can find where I get mine from.
Edit, I paid 24aud for the kit. Comes with the cleaner and spray on oil. From engine parts Australia. ..

threedogs
16th January 2015, 10:41 AM
I can remember a thread a while back about fumes , but I think ET hit it on the head
by not replacing the filter straight away, and not applying too much,
Maybe some are thinking of those foam re usable filters

mudski
16th January 2015, 10:42 AM
Agree but with a rider for engines tha are known to be sensitive to MAF issues...
Don't use too much oil when you load the filter after a service and definitely don't put the filter staright back in.
Give it a 1/2 hour or so after oiling.

On my Chevy I could probably start it up and tip a litre down the snork and let God, Gravity and Dumb Luck sort it out but on the other end of the scale a CRD?... not so much
With the spray on oil is quite easy to use and not over oil the element... Plus having two elements the second one has been sitting for a while pre oiled so it's good. But yes you need to leave them sit for a while before you put it in.

The spray on recharge kit does the filter around six times and wasn't that dear. I'll see if I can find where I get mine from.
Edit, I paid 24aud for the kit. Comes with the cleaner and spray on oil. From engine parts Australia. ..
Also, one of the reason why I use these filters is there is less rubbish and I can simply change my filter even after being on for a week if I want to because of a dusty day out in the bush.

Winnie
16th January 2015, 10:48 AM

I've been buying from Autobarn, probably getting reamed. I can't remember what I've been paying for them.

aj_vmax
25th January 2015, 08:43 PM
Sorry for not replying earlier. You all talk about being good for diesels, I have a 4.5ltr petrol would it be the same for it.

Clunk
25th January 2015, 10:22 PM
Sorry for not replying earlier. You all talk about being good for diesels, I have a 4.5ltr petrol would it be the same for it.

Yep...........

the evil twin
25th January 2015, 10:46 PM
Yep...........

Nope...........

Actually I wouldn't have the foggiest, I'm just trying to wind Clunk up... he's been a bit quiet.

aj_vmax
25th January 2015, 11:19 PM
The evil twin all good :) I understand