PDA

View Full Version : Water Driping Inside

xtreme patrol
10th March 2011, 02:40 PM
After the nice drop of rain we had I have noticed a few drip marks on the front passenger floor they seem to be coming from the air box underneath the glove box or more precisely from a little grey foam sponge type gasket (See Below)
If anyone can tell me whats going on or more importantly how to fix it i would be grateful

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/04R1pilot/4wd/IMG_2460-1.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/04R1pilot/4wd/IMG_2462-1.jpg

Cheers
Darren

Bob
10th March 2011, 03:13 PM
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND WAS GOING TO TRY AND FIX THIS WEEKEND WHILST i AM AWAY. WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I FIND THE PROBLEM

AB
10th March 2011, 03:48 PM
I would be checking the drainage from the windscreen grill guys and possibly the fresh air intake

Might have to clean the debris out with air if it has blocked and water can back up, etc....Just an idea?

Trial and error, pour some water in the grill below the windscreen and see if it drains ok and or leaks in.

Sir Roofy
10th March 2011, 04:11 PM
i would be checking the drainage from the windscreen grill guys and possibly the fresh air intake

might have to clean the debris out with air if it has blocked and water can back up, etc....just an idea?

Trial and error, pour some water in the grill below the windscreen and see if it drains ok and or leaks in.

yep ab might be right there cant see anyother reason except air con pipe coming thru the firewall

Bob
10th March 2011, 04:15 PM
It is the windscreen grill fellas. I think there is a hose that connects inside the cabin that drains it outside. Either the hose has partly come off or has a whole in it. Bloody hard to get at but will persist this weekend

AB
10th March 2011, 04:18 PM
It is the windscreen grill fellas. I think there is a hose that connects inside the cabin that drains it outside. Either the hose has partly come off or has a whole in it. Bloody hard to get at but will persist this weekend

Yes it does come inside and out the front....Could also be blocked by crap....Air compressor down the gril and see if you can blow it out first.

Bob
10th March 2011, 05:31 PM
Just poured water (quite a lot) into windscreen grill and nothing comes inside. Have just poured water on the windscreen and the water in one spot goes in under the seal and drips inside. About to put some sealant around the windscreen which will fix the problem

CHANGED MY MIND WILL GET WINDSCREENS O'BRIEN TO DO IT

YNOT
10th March 2011, 06:35 PM
After the nice drop of rain we had I have noticed a few drip marks on the front passenger floor they seem to be coming from the air box underneath the glove box or more precisely from a little grey foam sponge type gasket (See Below)
If anyone can tell me whats going on or more importantly how to fix it i would be grateful

Cheers
Darren

Does this happen while the car is parked or when driving with the A/C on?

Tony

Bob
10th March 2011, 06:40 PM
When it is parked in my case tony. It is the seal around the windscreen in my case

Bigrig
10th March 2011, 06:47 PM
When it is parked in my case tony. It is the seal around the windscreen in my case

My windscreen seal is stuffed also - leaks at bottom right and drips on my foot!! Something else that needs doing.

xtreme patrol
10th March 2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys will have a closer look tomorrow and see if I can find that hose. Let me know how you go bob thanks
And it was noticed for the first time today when it was parked facing up a hill (my driveway) no aircon thanks Tony

nowoolies
10th March 2011, 08:39 PM
if its the same as my DX its the aircon drainage hose and its been kicked off ,
and its a mongrel to put back on i might add
also if thats the problem fix it quick my ecu is up the creek after todays leaks
anyone got a spare lmao

Bob
11th March 2011, 08:10 AM
thanks guys will have a closer look tomorrow and see if i can find that hose. Let me know how you go bob thanks
and it was noticed for the first time today when it was parked facing up a hill (my driveway) no aircon thanks tony

pour water down the grill at bottom of windscreen and check if it leaks inside.
Pour water on windscreen above where leak is and check if it leaks inside.IT DID ON MINE

I HAVE PUT SEALANT ALONG THE WINDSCREEN RUBBER AND IT HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM

Silver
11th March 2011, 10:08 PM
Big Rig, install a well type rubber front mat, and wear thongs - works for me :-)

YNOT
11th March 2011, 10:15 PM
Big Rig, install a well type rubber front mat, and wear thongs - works for me :-)

I hope by "thongs" you mean footwear? You might want to clarify that for Scott.

Tony

Bigrig
12th March 2011, 12:14 AM
I hope by "thongs" you mean footwear? You might want to clarify that for Scott.

Tony

Not wrong ... I don't have a 'pair' of them, just the one I wear on special occasions!! LOL

Bob
22nd March 2011, 04:44 PM
There is a Flashing that goes along the bottom of the Windscreen which has 6 Screws holding it on. The leak in my Gu was from one those Screws on the Passenger side of the Car. You need to remove the Grill cover between the back of the Bonnet and the Windscreen to get at the Flashing. Put Sealant in each of the rubber Grummets where the Screws are and also around the Block that holds the Windscreen up. If you cannot understand my instructions show them to a Person that knows Windscreens and he might understand.

This is a common fault with GU Patrols .The guy at Windscreens O'brien did not know about it but another Windscreen Guy in Bendigo knew the fault as son as I told him the Problem

Cuppa
28th March 2011, 12:01 AM
Hey Bob, I sure hope you're right, & I'm optimistic you are. One of those holes is in direct line for all the water that drains from the passenger side grill, directed by a rubber strip. Some of my 6 holes had a sort of rubber washer on them, most were missing.
I have spent the weekend trying to track down this leak. I put additional windscreen sealant along the bottom of the screen, under the 'flashing', & sealed all gaps between flashing & screen. I was confident I'd sorted it but hosepipe tests quickly showed otherwise. I found a firewall grommet that has previously been cut for cable entry (cable no longer there) where I could see water running in, directed by a loose piece of insulation on the firewall. Insulation fixed & hole in grommet sealed.
Hosepipe test - Bollocks! Still getting in.
So now I've tried using some of that windscreen sealant to seal around all those holes that take those weird little pastic fittings to hold the 'grill' piece on (& the ones that hold the flashing on just for luck) Will try with the hose test again tomorrow when it's light.
Fingers crossed - I've run out of options.

In the photo I've asked 'What is it?' about a couple of items. The big white plastic casing looks like a fan blower, but when I switch the fan on , on the dash, holding my hand on this case , I can't detect any difference to when the fan is off. With the electrical connector removed, I unscrewed the 2 screws holding the'socket' & removed it from the case. On it's reverse side was a small printed circuit board. What is this for, & why is it stuck in the bottom of this 'blower-like case'?

Cuppa

Photo looking up from passenger footwell.

Bob
28th March 2011, 07:48 AM
So now I've tried using some of that windscreen sealant to seal around all those holes that take those weird little pastic fittings to hold the 'grill' piece on (& the ones that hold the flashing on just for luck) Will try with the hose test again tomorrow when it's light

That is the area and also there is a Block that holds the Windscreen up. Seal around that also. Best of Luck

YNOT
28th March 2011, 08:03 AM
In the photo I've asked 'What is it?' about a couple of items. The big white plastic casing looks like a fan blower, but when I switch the fan on , on the dash, holding my hand on this case , I can't detect any difference to when the fan is off. With the electrical connector removed, I unscrewed the 2 screws holding the'socket' & removed it from the case. On it's reverse side was a small printed circuit board. What is this for, & why is it stuck in the bottom of this 'blower-like case'?

Cuppa

Photo looking up from passenger footwell.

The white case is the blower fan case.
The printed circuit thing is most likely the fan speed resistor, I've never had a close look at mine to be sure but if the circuit board sits inside the blower case in the air stream then it wil be the resistor. It's positioned in the air stream to keep it cool.

Are you getting any air out of the vents when you turn the fan on? If your fan only works on high speed then the resistor is faulty.

Tony

Cuppa
28th March 2011, 09:46 AM
Are you getting any air out of the vents when you turn the fan on? If your fan only works on high speed then the resistor is faulty.

Tony

Thanks Tony. My fan is working fine at all speeds.

Cuppa

Cuppa
28th March 2011, 07:07 PM
Well today was the day! I've finally beaten the leak. Yay! Well actually 3 leaks that all combined to appear as one. No.1 was caused by the lack of 'little rubber socks' which fit under the grill panel, & into which Nissan's weird little plastic fasteners are pressed. Sealed with windscreen sealant. No.2 was the large rubber grommet on the firewall at the front of the passenger footwell. It had previously been used to run a cable. Sealed up the hole in the grommet with a piece of plastic stuck onto the grommet with windscreen sealant. No.3 - this was the real mystery, but eventually I found water seeping in through a small rust patch. To the right & below the big grommet are 3 little spot weld circles. One of them has rusted a little. Again I used windscreen sealant, & covered it with a piece of plastic bag, over the top of the hole. Shazam! A dry cab, even after 15 minutes of hosepipe treatment. Finally I can put the floor covering, seats etc back in. :smile:

Cuppa

Bigrig
28th March 2011, 07:47 PM
Good job mate - my first attempt has failed (sealant around the windscreen seal) so it looks like the grill needs to come off ... grrrrrrrr ....

Sir Roofy
30th July 2011, 04:00 PM
here you go kat have a read of this lot

katwoman
30th July 2011, 07:31 PM
here you go kat have a read of this lot

Thx Roofy.

katwoman
5th August 2011, 04:30 AM
Thanks for these ideas...
Katrol has a wet spot... so, so far I have plugged holes in the firewall around wiring, and now just wait and see if it's fixed.. Cannot physically see water dripping inside car but passenger floor very damp..
Cant do any more till I get home..

Havoc
7th August 2011, 12:10 PM

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/04R1pilot/4wd/IMG_2460-1.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/04R1pilot/4wd/IMG_2462-1.jpg

Cheers
Darren

can also be the window seals leaking, yes the steel can and will rust behind the seal and make a leak. if every thing else wont fix the problem, might be worth having a look

Dapple
25th February 2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys I have a leak also, I will try your suggestions and report back. Not looking forward to this as I am worried that I will be opening a can of worms. :frown:

Gilbert
1st April 2012, 03:47 PM
I have the same leaking problem. Thanks for all the info on this thread. It gives me a place to start looking for the problem. Great to be part of this group!

Conradk
6th December 2012, 08:28 PM
An old thread but really good advice. Got the same leak in the same spot and see that the same screws are missing.